No announcement yet.

"Fiance"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the word fiancée. And I would love to be one and call my SO mine. But i did have a hard time saying boyfriend out loud for awhile. lol was so... idk... it didn't roll off the tongue and i was so aware of the word. I don't mind it now, i think i just had to get used to it? But fiancée I don't think will bother me.
    I love you Nathan <3
    sigpic
    5/25/09 <3

Comment

Originally posted by CynicalQuixotic View Post
      "Fiancé" and "fiancée" are pronounced exactly the same way, they're just the masculine and feminine forms.
      I've heard them pronounced with different emphases on the "a" sound. Maybe that's just a matter of preference, though.

Comment

I'm not fond of it either, i have no idea why i just don't like it. Husband/wife i don't mind at all and would use them when we make it official but until then i call him my partner/other half/better half.
        As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

I hated introducing my SO as my boyfriend... it just sounds so juvenile to me for some reason. I don't hate the term fiance, but I still feel weird saying it. I usually just introduce my SO by his name

Comment

My SO and I are both francophones so we never had a problem with fiancé/fiancée, especially with what it literally means. with the bond we're having, and where we're at in our relationship though, we find ourselves as if we're ahead of the fiancé part, so we use vaious other terms, and as Mlle Bamako said, it depends on our audience. in his office i'm his wife to be, with our parents we are fiancé/ée, here he's my SO, with friends he's my "conjoint" which means intimately joined (dictionary had no actual translation but suggested spouse), with friends he's also my "compagnon" which means "the person who shares my life" (dictionary translated it as companion).

of all, after fiancé/ée, i like compagnon/compagne the best
            Don't be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again.
            And meeting again, after moments or lifetime, is certain for those who are friends.
            ~Richard Bach

“Always,” said Snape.

Comment

Originally posted by CynicalQuixotic View Post
              "Fiancé" and "fiancée" are pronounced exactly the same way, they're just the masculine and feminine forms.
              I guess it is my accent but I notice I do say it differently. When I go to the states to see my SO I know that there are words that I say and he and others are like, "whhhaaat?? 0_o" for example, "mocha". Anyway, thanks for high lighting what I had said otherwise I NEVER would of seen your post

Originally posted by Lissy View Post
              I've heard them pronounced with different emphases on the "a" sound. Maybe that's just a matter of preference, though.
              Yay a believer!

Comment

i can't wait to change my titile from girlfriend to fiancee!!!

Comment

It sounds like finance because it's a very expensive period in your life!! jks

I don't have a problem with the word, though I always forget to use it People correct me if I call Obi my boyfriend, which I do frequently. I like "boyfriend" well enough. I used "partner" a lot in my last relationship because "boyfriend" sounded stupid, he was a lot older than me. So, I like being able to say "boyfriend" this time around.
                  I like "SO" as well. It's a great politically correct gender nutral term. Can't ask for more than that!

Husband and wife... they make me feel old. But when the time comes I will use them. I hate "hubby" though. Yuck!
                  Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

That Beyonce thing was pure class, thanks for making my evening, CanadianGirl!

Come to think of it, I'm not too keen on the word 'fiance' either.. I don't know what I'll call him when we're engaged x) "My man" might be alright.. errr I don't know, we'll see what comes naturally

..oh and yeah, I don't like hubby either..

Comment

I don't mind the word fiance, I still have a problem calling Mark my fiance though, cause it feels strange haha.

First Met Online: October 2010
                      First Confessed Feelings: December 21, 2011
                      Became a "Couple": January 7, 2012
                      First Meeting: March 9-14, 2012
                      Second Meeting: July 16-31, 2012
                      Closed the Distance: May 30, 2013
                      Engaged!: June 1, 2013
                      Picking out wedding dates now!

Comment

Working...
                      X