Something old, Something new, Something borrowed, Something blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something old, Something new, Something borrowed, Something blue

A wedding tradition going waay waay back Incase you dont know about it; The old symbolizes continuity with the bride's family and the past, Something new means optimism and hope for the bride's new life ahead, Something borrowed is usually an item from a happily married friend or family member, whose good fortune in marriage is supposed to carry over to the new bride and Something Blue is to represent pureity and bring luck to the bride (i think).
    I was wondering that if when you get married (or when you got married) you did this? What did you/are you going to use for each one?
    Im hoping to do this. I was wondering what ideas you guys have
    I was going to do
    Old - The ring i have that used to be my gt. gt. gt. gt. grandmothers
    New - Going to buy new jewllery and and the dress counts.
    Borrowed - i still have no idea.
    Blue - include blue ribbon to my dress (hidden) or on my bouquet somewhere or something along those lines.

Thought this could be an interesting thread

interesting indeed xD. Was telling my man about this custom last night. Correct me if im wrong but it's an English tradition as (a quick search on google showed) the full phrase is: -

Something old, something new
    Something borrowed, something blue
    And a silver sixpence in her shoe.

So i had to explain this to my man since he's american, that or that hes never thought much about marriage.

Anyhoo: -

Old - i dont actually know >.<
    New - new jewelry and dress
    Borrowed - again i dont know!
    Blue - We're (as in me lol) thinking about having a white and blue theme to our wedding so my dress will have a blue sash or something

Comment

Something Old: my pearl jewelry set of bracelet necklace and earrings I got as a gift when I turned 15.

Something Blue and Something New at the same time: a charm of a globe from Thomas Sabo, that would also represent overcoming our LDR.

Something Borrowed: No idea yet. I will edit this post once I figure out what and from whom will it be.
      (I don't know THAT many happy married couples)

Originally posted by ChibiFelicia View Post
      Something old, something new
      Something borrowed, something blue
      And a silver sixpence in her shoe.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a silver sixpence?
      our story.

sigpic

02.02.2012 - When we got married and closed the distance once and for all

"If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse."

Comment

Copied and pasted off google : -

"A sixpence is a coin that was minted in Britain from 1551 to 1967. It was made of silver and worth six pennies. So this wedding tradition is definitely English, and many sources say that it began in the Victorian era.

And imma just post the rest of it (btw i've not actually searched for the authenticity of this, i jsut looked it up when i was telling my man and i found it very interesting)

"Each item in this poem represents a good-luck token for the bride. If she carries all of them on her wedding day, her marriage will be happy. "Something old" symbolizes continuity with the bride's family and the past. "Something new" means optimism and hope for the bride's new life ahead. "Something borrowed" is usually an item from a happily married friend or family member, whose good fortune in marriage is supposed to carry over to the new bride. The borrowed item also reminds the bride that she can depend on her friends and family.

As for the colorful item, blue has been connected to weddings for centuries. In ancient Rome, brides wore blue to symbolize love, modesty, and fidelity. Christianity has long dressed the Virgin Mary in blue, so purity was associated with the color. Before the late 19th century, blue was a popular color for wedding gowns, as evidenced in proverbs like, "Marry in blue, lover be true."

And finally, a silver sixpence in the bride's shoe represents wealth and financial security. It may date back to a Scottish custom of a groom putting a silver coin under his foot for good luck. For optimum fortune, the sixpence should be in the left shoe. These days, a dime or a copper penny is sometimes substituted, and many companies sell keepsake sixpences for weddings.

Comment

@Engel - I love this charm idea! Do you have a link to somewhere to get it from? and a silver sixpence was a silver coin that used to be used in the UK which was worth 6pennies.

Comment

I'm not trying to do this, but so far I have everything except something borrowed (which is odd really because I'm always borrowing things.) I don't believe it does anything, I'm doing it more so that the people around me won't weird out about not having done it.
            Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Something old and borrowed; My mum inherited a brooch belonging to my great aunt, I'm borrowing it and I'm going to pin it to my bouquet
              Something New: my jewellery and dress
              Something blue: Our colour scheme is Light blue and white (tied in to our Travel theme), so the ribbon around my bouquet and my flowers are going to be blue

Another English tradition; I'm carrying a horseshoe with my bouquet for luck

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
              <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
              The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
              <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
              <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
              Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
              Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Xanahtas View Post
                @Engel - I love this charm idea! Do you have a link to somewhere to get it from? and a silver sixpence was a silver coin that used to be used in the UK which was worth 6pennies.

you can change it to where you live to see the right currency:

https://shop.thomassabo.com/DE-en/ch...pid/0754-007-1

check the stores to see if there is any where you live. there are 6 on my city in Germany. the charm is not available on the website at the moment, but I bet you can find it in a store. Just type in the city where you live:

https://shop.thomassabo.com/DE-en/shops
                our story.

sigpic

"If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse."

Comment

Thanks Engel!
                  @Nicole - i was going to do that too, but where could you buy a wedding horse shoe from? Expensive or not? :L

Comment

Originally posted by Xanahtas View Post
                    @Nicole - i was going to do that too, but where could you buy a wedding horse shoe from? Expensive or not? :L
                    Sorry I didn't reply, I forgot I posted on here! I got mine from pasttimes: https://www.pasttimes.com/home/shop_...hoe-841628.htm

for 6GBP, it's so cheap! And it looks really lovely! Card shops sell them for arounf the same price, but I haven't seen any that don't look like a cheap piece of plastic.

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
                    <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
                    The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
                    <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
                    <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
                    Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
                    Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Oh wow, ok thats really pretty Thanks, i think i may buy myself one >.<

Comment

I dunno how it'll be whenever we get married... but I think I would chose certain things...

Something old: No idea ^^;;
                        Something new: most likely the dress
                        Something borrowed: ...again, I dunno >>
                        Something blue: an heirloom from my great great grandmother ^^ a beautiful blue necklace that I've loved since I was a child and my mom gave it to me for my twenty-first birthday ^^

Comment

I had no clue this was an English tradition. I'm American and everyone always asks what I'm going to use for these lol.
                          Anyway....
                          Something Old: Probably a hairbow that I've had for a while, like my white flower one that I always wear for special occasions.
                          Something New: My dress
                          Something Borrowed: Pearls from my mom
                          Something Blue: I'm wearing blue shoes. Yeah. I'm cool.

First Met Online: October 2010
                          First Confessed Feelings: December 21, 2011
                          Became a "Couple": January 7, 2012
                          First Meeting: March 9-14, 2012
                          Second Meeting: July 16-31, 2012
                          Closed the Distance: May 30, 2013
                          Engaged!: June 1, 2013
                          Picking out wedding dates now!

Comment

Originally posted by folclor View Post
                            Something old: No idea ^^;;

Something blue: an heirloom from my great great grandmother ^^ a beautiful blue necklace that I've loved since I was a child and my mom gave it to me for my twenty-first birthday ^^

so you already will have something old and something blue.
                            our story.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Engel View Post
                              so you already will have something old and something blue.
                              ohhhh. I didn't know one could count for two ^^;;

Comment

Working...
                              X