Best Cell Phone For An LDR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Cell Phone For An LDR?

So Im on my a family cellphone plan with my mother which sucks because we are with AT&Tand my boyfriend is with Sprint. This means we cant talk until after a certaintime bc of the fear of going over minutes and I only have two hundre text a month which go pretty fast.....BUT

I have now gotten a job. And am planning on getting a Sprint account by adding a phone line to his account bc he gets a discount....ANYWAYS

What kind of Sprint phone do, if you have one, you think works well for LDRs? For example, a phone with facetime prob works well. And what kind of plan do you have?
    sigpic
    Not to get clever
    but with you I see forever
    But whatever it is,
    Here's to you,
    I Love You Kid...

I say go with a smartphone. There are so many apps out there, especially for android and iphone that there are now limitless ways to text and call for free. I'm with AT&T and now barely use any minutes, don't need texting and never exceed the 2gb data. All this while maintaining daily contact with friends and family at home.

Comment

iPhone.

TextFree or text plus makes the need for texting non existent. I like text plus. iPhone to iPhone is free texting. Btw.

Skype is on the iPhone. iPhone to iPhone has that FaceTime thing.

Games to play together? Hundreds.

Screenshots of cute text messages. Home+power buttons.

iCard. If you don't know, it's incredible.

And the phone is excellent.

Also btw: AT&T is free mobile to mobile. Any mobile to any mobile regardless of carrier.

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

My plan is 450 min a month (the lowest) with unlimited data (grandfathered in). Unlimited texting because I don't like to carry the two numbers a free texting app requires. I pay $90 a month.

Comment

Blackberry.

BBM is free to anyone with a blackberry.

Comment

Smartphone is the way to go, I would say. There are tons of little free apps that you can chat, text, or even play some games together. Definitely good for LDRs.

Comment

I'd say any phone is fine as long as you upgrade your texting/minutes plan, a smartphone would be nice but if you can't afford it all that really matters is the amount of time you get not the actual phone itself

Notes:
            Met: 8.17.09
            Started Dating: 8.20.09
            First Met: 10.2.10
            Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Smartphone, but it depends on which phone your SO has.

BBM to BBM is always free.
              Iphone to iPhone, ect.
              And all Android apps are the same and compatible.
              But lets say you pick up an android that has apps not available on your SOs BB, then you're kind of screwed.

Just do some research to see what apps are out there before you both. Make sure they are available on both phones and go for it.

Comment

I agree with LoveL.

My SO already had a BlackBerry and I had an Iphone (which i wanted to upgrade because it was turning into a useless brick.) So instead of getting another Iphone it worked a lot better for us for me to get a BlackBerry so we could take advantage of the free BlackBerry Messenger between BlackBerrys. It is really amazing actually. There is barely ever any lag between sending/receiving msgs and we can talk throughout the day just like you could with txts.. except its free

as for pricing.. I got my BB for around $250 (Australian) and i paid for it outright. I'm on prepaid and only have to pay $19 a month for what I need, much better than the $69 i used to be on with my iphone. Although you're not from Australia so those prices will mean nothing to you :P.
                Met Online: February 2009
                Feelings grew: January 2011
                First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
                Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
                Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
                Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
                Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
                Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
                Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
                Engaged: 1st of July 2012
                Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
                Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
                Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
                Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
                Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
                Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

Neither of us can afford a smartphone right now I guess it's not the end of the world since we don't text etc. an awful lot in the first place, but still, it sure would be nice to have that option!

Comment

Originally posted by LoveL View Post
                    But lets say you pick up an android that has apps not available on your SOs BB, then you're kind of screwed.
                    Not necessarily; I know of a lot of users who convert Android .apks to BlackBerry apps.

Comment

You can usually get an older generation smartphone for free. A friend recently got the one I've had for a year for free. They just open a whole new world.

I seriously suggest android. There are so many more options for apps and personalization. Like you can add widgets to your home screen with countdowns and your most recent text message. It's much more flexible than iOS.

And if you are on the same plan, your texts should be free between each other.
                      Met online: Nov 2010 - Met in person: Nov 20, 2010
                      Closed the distance: April 27, 2011
                      Accepted to PhD program 200 miles away: March 2012
                      LD again: July 24, 2012
                      Left School and Closed the Distance for good: March 8, 2013
                      Married: November 1, 2014
                      Started job 200 miles away: February 23, 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Haru View Post
                        Not necessarily; I know of a lot of users who convert Android .apks to BlackBerry apps.
                        And there are a few (though a very few, lol.) apps (like Kik), that are cross platform.
                        ♥ Erika & Thomas ♥
                        ♥ Est. January 13, 2011 ♥ Became LDR July 1, 2011 ♥ Christmas visit December 24 - 29, 2011 ♥ Closed the distance June 2, 2012 ♥

♪ Cause with you I'd withstand all of it to hold your hand ♫

Comment

My SO and i have Blackberrys.

Blackberry messenger is a god send for us, we send pics,vids,voice clips without it costing us any extra as we both have internet allowance on our contract. We always send the icons to each other like these plus hearts and hugs. LOVE my Blackberry.
                          As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

I have an HTC Inspire with Android. I love it! Unfortunately, my SO still has his crappy old phone that I hate and have hated since he got it. Therefore most of the benefits of having one for an LDR are lost. But if both partners have one, it's really great!

Comment

I'd love to know if anyone here has experience or tips on converting non blackberry apps to work for blackberries, as i'm stuck on one and my SO is running some sort of Android phone. I'll do some research, but i'd love any help someone could offer!

BBM is pretty cool though, lets me keep in contact with my sister super easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X