Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you recommend a REALLY good webcam ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you recommend a REALLY good webcam ?

Hello,

i have a compaq presario laptop with a built in webcam, and so far i am pretty happy with it, only when it comes to skype or any other video chat program i sometimes feel the quality could be a lot better.
    The audio problem was easily solved by getting a good headset, unfortunately i have no idea how to tell if a webcam is good or not ? the prices vary a lot, so, if i buy a webcam for 70€ (~ 90$), is that crazy and is this webcam really super good then ? Compared to a cam for ,say, 25 bucks ?

thank you for your answers

I am happy using my built in webcam on my laptop but have a separate webcam for my desktop. I ended up buying a Logitech C170. Cost me about AUD$49. Logitech have a good range from your basic to your high end High Definition webcams. You've also gotta consider your internet speeds as some of the higher definition webcams need super fast internet (which I think you have better than I do here in Australia) to give ultimate performance.

Comment

With my desktop, I use a Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 (sounds like some industrial robot!). It costs about $60 and does the full range of HD, and I really enjoy it. I sent my boyfriend a Microsoft Lifecam VX-5000, which I got for about $15, and it has about the same quality as my laptop's webcam. I really wouldn't spend more than the $60 I spent on a webcam-- after a while, it's just the same thing with new "features" that you don't really use.

If you say you're having quality issues with Skype and other video chatting programs, however, it's likely it's not your webcam but your internet that is the culprit. A higher-end webcam like the Logitech one I have is great if you both have decent internet, but I find that my lovely 1080 or even 720p HD only lasts for a short time before Skype has to knock down the quality (sometimes a lot) in order to maintain the connection with my boyfriend's slow internet in Peru. Even his webcam's image gets the quality beat out of it when it's going particularly slow.
      Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
      Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
      Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Yeah when my internet barfs and slows down the quality drops almost immediately. Better something than nothing though

Comment

I have this one! Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910

It's really good! Lets you record 1080p video. The reviews have videos of people using the webcams, so check those out.
          Read my LDR story!
          Facebook
          Instagram

Comment

It doesn't matter how great and expensive the webcam is if the connection isn't fast enough to be able to handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanja View Post
              It doesn't matter how great and expensive the webcam is if the connection isn't fast enough to be able to handle it.

I concur!

Comment

I have this and it's absolutely amazing. Been using it for a year and a half now, has never disappointed unless the connection was trippin'.

Comment

I have the same problem with Skype getting iffy especially on the video part. I can always see B very clearly but I am sometimes very pixelated to him. I have a very good Logitech webcam but my internet connection sucks because I live so far away from the nearest tower -- out in the country. So, it's most likely that the problem is in your connection speed and not your equipment.
                  February 2012 -- met online
                  August 2012 -- he said "I love you."
                  April 2013 -- met in person
                  June 2013 -- broke up
                  July 2013 -- back together
                  August 2013 -- 2nd visit
                  October 20, 2013 -- He proposed!
                  April 22, 2014 -- Married/closed the distance!

Comment

Working...
                  X