Deciding between 2 different apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deciding between 2 different apps

Hey everyone, i'm currently trying to decide which of the following 2 apps would be best for my gf and myself to use to remain in contact without paying a cent for calls and texts The two apps are:
    • Pinger (Formerly known as Textfree)
    • Viber

*I'd post the links to the respective sites however the forums won't let me due to my low post count =/ So just google the names and it should be the first result that pops up.

We both will be using the andriod platform so looking at the features of each app that they offer for the andriod platform, it seems viber is the winner with its extra ability to provide free calls (using wifi). However i don't want to jump for viber just yet since Pinger will be adding the calling feature to its andriod version at some point and is apparently the most popular (apparently is the #1 texting app in the US according to its own site), so there must be a reason why it is that popular.

Something i'd like to know about each is how power hungry the apps are and generally how much memory they may suck up to run properly. Also whether or not they will have to stay running in the background on your smartphone to still receive calls or texts. (I believe with Pinger you can still receive texts regardless if the app is running or not since you can still send texts to people who don't use the app).

If any of you guys happen to use either of these apps or have used these apps, i would love to hear your opinions on each and their respective pros and cons (if any).
    Last edited by Slater; August 8, 2012, 11:09 AM.

I'm on the Android platform too but don't use any of these comm apps since my SO has a dumb phone :P But, from what I hear, Viber really sucks the battery life from your phone and has a tendency to freeze and crash. A friend told me it's pretty slow, too. But the calling function might be worth bearing all the cons for.
    "If you get hungry enough, they say, you start eating your own heart"

Comment

Me and my bf use Viber, works great
      But it's crap if you don't have a good Internet connection

Comment

Me and my SO use Viber, we love it!
        They have made big improvements. I recommend it

Comment

I've used Pinger, its pretty good.
          " There is always hope.
          "

Comment

Viber seems to be a favorite among my acquaintances, although I personally don't own any devices I could experiment with it on.

Comment

Working...
            X