Changing the brightness on your laptop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing the brightness on your laptop?

I have a Lenovo laptop with Windows Vista. When my SO and I keep Skype on and sleep, the screen is just way too bright for me. My function buttons on my keyboard don't work for whatever reason (they work perfectly fine when I'm adjusting volume). And I can't find any other setting on my computer to change the brightness.

Any one have ideas on how to fix this?

I did a brief google search for issues with screen brightness for Lenovo laptops and found some from 2010 that had unupdated drivers that were causing the issue. I don't know what model laptop you have, but you might want to do a google search like "lenovo [model number here] screen brightness" or something similar to see if that's the same problem you have.

There should be some setting in the control panel to adjust screen brightness, but one of the posts I was reading said that that didn't work either. If you haven't tried it, go into Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Display on a Windows 7 machine and choose "Adjust brightness" from the options on the left. From here, I think it varies, but on my laptop you can adjust the brightness manually on the bottom of that window or change the power use settings to change the brightness depending on whether it's plugged in or not and how long it's been inactive.
    Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
    Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
    Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Originally posted by kittyo9 View Post
      I did a brief google search for issues with screen brightness for Lenovo laptops and found some from 2010 that had unupdated drivers that were causing the issue. I don't know what model laptop you have, but you might want to do a google search like "lenovo [model number here] screen brightness" or something similar to see if that's the same problem you have.

There should be some setting in the control panel to adjust screen brightness, but one of the posts I was reading said that that didn't work either. If you haven't tried it, go into Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Display on a Windows 7 machine and choose "Adjust brightness" from the options on the left. From here, I think it varies, but on my laptop you can adjust the brightness manually on the bottom of that window or change the power use settings to change the brightness depending on whether it's plugged in or not and how long it's been inactive.
      I'll definitely have to do the Google search, but there isn't even an option in my control panel to "Display on a Windows 7 machine" If I've read around enough, Windows 7 is newer than Vista? So I might have to update something.

Comment

It should just be "Display", I meant I have Windows 7 and that's what I'm using as a reference. xD If I recall from my previous laptop, Vista is set up pretty similarly. See if you can just open up the control panel and search for "brightness".
        Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
        Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
        Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Originally posted by kittyo9 View Post
          It should just be "Display", I meant I have Windows 7 and that's what I'm using as a reference. xD If I recall from my previous laptop, Vista is set up pretty similarly. See if you can just open up the control panel and search for "brightness".
          Nothing :/ I'm going to do that Google search asap though, so I'll be back! :P

Comment

You should be able to by right clicking your battery icon. Click on the arrow by your clock, then right click the battery icon to change the brightness.

Comment

Originally posted by rixue View Post
              You should be able to by right clicking your battery icon. Click on the arrow by your clock, then right click the battery icon to change the brightness.
              I've tried that :/ Doesn't work.

Comment

Update:
                Google search led me to a couple different threads on the Lenovo blog. Each one had said that I need to update my drivers. I finally found a thread that told me specifically which drivers to update, so I am in the process of that and hoping that will work.

Comment

You are literally the first person I know that also has a Lenovo! Unfortunately... I have Windows 7... so... =/ Good luck! Googling it should be easy tho.

Comment

Working...
                  X