Free texting apps (android)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free texting apps (android)?

Hi guys I need some advice! I know there's probably a few topics like this but I did some digging and didn't find anything that worked for me.

So my boyfriend lives in America and I live in Canada, and it's expensive for me to even TEXT american numbers, so I have an app on my android smartphone called HeyWire that gives me an american number and lets me text from the app for free. The issue is a lot of the time, messages don't send or get received until late or sometimes not at all. So I was wondering if anyone knew of an app that would allow me to text the US for free (preferably one that gave me an american number but i'm not picky!) that doesn't require my boyfriend to have it on his phone as well because his phone isn't as awesome as mine for apps. I don't need like calling or anything, just basic SMS/MMS I've looked at Pinger and Viber and things but I know a lot of them require the other person to have the app...what are some you use that you find work well?

Try Vonage. My boyfriend lives in Ireland and uses it to call me all the time for free, but I'm not sure if it works in Canada. It's worth a shot though! Best of luck!
    "I love thee to the depth, and breadth, and height my soul can reach..." ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Comment

My SO uses an app called Textplus to text me. It works pretty well

Comment

Originally posted by marbear31 View Post
        Try Vonage. My boyfriend lives in Ireland and uses it to call me all the time for free, but I'm not sure if it works in Canada. It's worth a shot though! Best of luck!
        Apparently the texts only work if the other person has the app :c it looks good for long-distance calling though, so I'll keep it in mind for that!

Comment

A few things. Who is your cell phone provider? I had unlimited text to the US with both Wind Mobile and Bell. Wind is really really affordable... I'm with Bell now mainly because I wanted a nicer phone...

Now there is this one app called WhatsApp. It requires both people to install it but it is available on a few platforms (I can't remember which, but I remember it was more than just your regular iphone and Android)

There was also another app I used... trying to remember it... that one didn't require him to install something (when I first got my Bell phone the salesman told me that I didn't get unlimited texts to the US even though I do!! so I tried a few things...) I ended up not using it because it had advertising and I couldn't find a paid version without advertising... Gonna try finding it for you...

Text Me!

^that's the name! I am not asking you to text me... lol though you can if you want!
          First met online: June, 2010
          First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
          Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
          Third visit together: August, 2012
          Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
          Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
          Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
          Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

I should add...he uses the textplus app on his android smartphone and I just have an old school phone without apps etc. and I can receive and send him texts no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixel View Post
              I should add...he uses the textplus app on his android smartphone and I just have an old school phone without apps etc. and I can receive and send him texts no problem.
              Thank you, I just installed it and I'll check it out!

Originally posted by Verojoon View Post
              A few things. Who is your cell phone provider? I had unlimited text to the US with both Wind Mobile and Bell. Wind is really really affordable... I'm with Bell now mainly because I wanted a nicer phone...

Now there is this one app called WhatsApp. It requires both people to install it but it is available on a few platforms (I can't remember which, but I remember it was more than just your regular iphone and Android)

There was also another app I used... trying to remember it... that one didn't require him to install something (when I first got my Bell phone the salesman told me that I didn't get unlimited texts to the US even though I do!! so I tried a few things...) I ended up not using it because it had advertising and I couldn't find a paid version without advertising... Gonna try finding it for you...

Text Me!

^that's the name! I am not asking you to text me... lol though you can if you want!
              My provider is Rogers...I used to have unlimited with Telus but ugh rogers is the bane of my existence. I'll look in to Text Me I don't HATE the one I have now but it tends to be a little unreliable which isn't ideal.

Comment

Whatsapp is a fantastic app. All you need to have is your SO download it and you have them added as a contact on your phone, then you're free to text as much as you want for free. You can also send pictures, videos and audio messages, the main reason why I like this app above everything else.

Kik is also a good app. No audio messages, but you can send pictures and videos if you download an additional app. I'd recommend using Whatsapp first, then if you dislike it try Kik

Comment

My guy also lives in Canada and my provider was charging me .25 per text which adds up quick. We absolutely love Whatsapp it is awesome. We text using that and send pics. Also we each have skype on our phone but I do have free calls to Canada with my canada plan but the texting was not included.

Comment

I have a close friend who lives in Canada and I'm in the US. He found us Whatsapp, and let me tell ya, it has saved us $$!! You can send text, pics, etc all free! Love it!

Comment

Tango Video Calls, Viber, Or Pair. Tango lets you video chat, call ,and text. Viber let's you call and text. And pair lets you text, send voice memos,videos,and do thumbkiss. Thumbkiss is kinda a way to touch from a distance, makes you feel closer.
                      Last edited by SonyaKitty; September 24, 2012, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SonyaKitty View Post
                        Tango Video Calls, Viber, Or Pair. Tango lets you video chat, call ,and text. Viber let's you call and text. And pair lets you text, send voice memos,videos,and do thumbkiss. Thumbkiss is kinda a way to touch from a distance, makes you feel closer.
                        My other half and I started using Pair today. THE BEST APP EVER. We love it.

Comment

Those are all fantastic suggestions. I was hoping for something that didn't require my SO to download an app for but I'll see what we can work with. Thanks!

Comment

Seriously pair is an amazing app for couples. It's a great texting app and all photos and videos shared are stored to apps memory. There are a lot of fun little things to do on that app as well. For calling viber works great and we just started using tango for video and normal calling. It's not as clean as face time but it doesn't require a wifi connection so that's a plus. The voice calls are great quality though. Both tango and viber are great free ways to call someone over seas as well. I keep in touch with my friends that are still in combat and in the uk.
                            I Love My Beautiful Sonya!!!

Comment

i live away from my family, and we used viber from my android to my sister s apple i pod touch. it workd aweosme for free text messages, and even clear voice calls

Comment

Working...
                              X