Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E- readers - any suggestions?

Hey!

I think maybe this is not as related as LDR things, but since I got to spend a lot of time with myself (because my closest friends are now in exchange programmes and my SO is not here too) I've been reading more and thinking about buying an e-reader. I have a lot of PDF books that I never get to read because I hate to read them in the computer.

I've been doing some research, but they all seem pretty expensive and I don't understand which would be suitable for me.
    I only know Kobo and Kindle brands, but I would like to know if you have any e-reader and, if so, why did you chose it? I am not a techy person, so when it comes to read the specifications I don't understand any of that. That is why I would like to know personal experiences and opinions!

Btw, do you consider ebay safe to buy things like this? Or is there any other trust worthy website?

Virtual hugs!

Check out this link: https://ebook-reader-review.toptenreviews.com/

I did a quick check, and all of those e-readers can open PDFs. I have a kindle. (an old version) I didn't choose it - my mom got it for me for Christmas. Although, I'm a big fan. I'm going to be purchasing a Paperwhite soon. My FMIL has a nook, and she loves it because she can borrow books from her library.

If you do choose to go the ebay route for a purchase like this, make sure you buy from a reputable seller, and double check the seller's return policy. Personally, I'd buy it directly from the brand (kindle from Amazon, nook from B&N, etc.) Or, check out a local electronics store like Best Buy. Heck, WalMart even has e-readers now.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
    Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
    Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by lyonsgirl View Post
      Check out this link: https://ebook-reader-review.toptenreviews.com/

I did a quick check, and all of those e-readers can open PDFs. I have a kindle. (an old version) I didn't choose it - my mom got it for me for Christmas. Although, I'm a big fan. I'm going to be purchasing a Paperwhite soon. My FMIL has a nook, and she loves it because she can borrow books from her library.

If you do choose to go the ebay route for a purchase like this, make sure you buy from a reputable seller, and double check the seller's return policy. Personally, I'd buy it directly from the brand (kindle from Amazon, nook from B&N, etc.) Or, check out a local electronics store like Best Buy. Heck, WalMart even has e-readers now.

Thanks! In my country I only know a store who sells them. They only sell Kobo but it's too damn expensive.. I never know which is best... What did you mean with "she can borrow books from her library"?
      Do you think a newer version would be best?
      Thank you again

Comment

Originally posted by Jess! View Post
        Thanks! In my country I only know a store who sells them. They only sell Kobo but it's too damn expensive.. I never know which is best... What did you mean with "she can borrow books from her library"?
        Do you think a newer version would be best?
        Thank you again
        Not all libraries can do this yet, but a lot are starting to be able to. Her local library has copies of e-books that you can check-out, just like normal books. I'm not terribly sure how it works, since I've never done it. It's worth looking into though, at a library near you.

I love the kindle because I can "buy" books off of Amazon - and I haven't actually spent a lot of money on books. I'm not picky with what I'm reading, so I manage to find a lot of books for free!

There's nothing wrong with the older version of e-readers. Similar to iPods or cell phones or any technology, the newer ones just have "added features". If you want something less expensive, go with an older model. They still work great and don't have any downsides except they're the old version. Actually, thinking about it, my kindle is about 3 1/2 years old now. Ancient, in technology years...

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
        Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
        Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Not all libraries can do this yet, but a lot are starting to be able to. Her local library has copies of e-books that you can check-out, just like normal books. I'm not terribly sure how it works, since I've never done it. It's worth looking into though, at a library near you.

I love the kindle because I can "buy" books off of Amazon - and I haven't actually spent a lot of money on books. I'm not picky with what I'm reading, so I manage to find a lot of books for free!

There's nothing wrong with the older version of e-readers. Similar to iPods or cell phones or any technology, the newer ones just have "added features". If you want something less expensive, go with an older model. They still work great and don't have any downsides except they're the old version. Actually, thinking about it, my kindle is about 3 1/2 years old now. Ancient, in technology years...
          Uau! I had no idea about the librabries, how coool. But hey, I had no idea too about smartphones one year ago and then made a terrible choice for a cellphone.
          I don't even know if I can read properly with an e-reader, since Im one of those old fashion people when it comes to techology. But reading would be cheaper and it would be much more handy! Sorry to bother again. Do you happen to know what the heck is wi-fi in an e-reader? I understand the concept, but if is not a tablet, I'm guessing the wi-fi is just necessary to purchase books online?
          I think I may go with an older version, but still unsure. It is important to me to have books for free, but not a big deal. It is nice when you have friends you send you pdf books!

Comment

I have a kobo (the old one without light) and I love it.

I didn't want a kindle, because they only read books you buy on amazon and... no. That seems sort of stupid, when there's so many other shops around.
            Actually white all readers do .pdf, they're not made for reading them. The formal e-books usually come in is .epub. There are programmes that can convert pdfs to epub, though, so if you have pdf books you can convert them. Remember that you won't be able to read them on a kindle, though.

I don't think there are huge differences between the readers out there. I checked out the Sony one when I bought my kobo and I didn't like that the frame was shiney/reflecting light. My mum has recently bought a topolino (or whatever it's called) but I don't know if they even selll them outside of Germany :-/

The wifi is to buy books, but you can usually also (very limited) surf the net. It's enough for wikipedia of if you want to look something up. You can also get firmware updates through wifi.

Anyway:
            One vote for kobo - they come in beautiful colours, too

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Originally posted by Dziubka View Post

I didn't want a kindle, because they only read books you buy on amazon and... no. That seems sort of stupid, when there's so many other shops around.
              Actually white all readers do .pdf, they're not made for reading them. The formal e-books usually come in is .epub. There are programmes that can convert pdfs to epub, though, so if you have pdf books you can convert them. Remember that you won't be able to read them on a kindle, though.

I don't think there are huge differences between the readers out there. I checked out the Sony one when I bought my kobo and I didn't like that the frame was shiney/reflecting light. My mum has recently bought a topolino (or whatever it's called) but I don't know if they even selll them outside of Germany :-/

The wifi is to buy books, but you can usually also (very limited) surf the net. It's enough for wikipedia of if you want to look something up. You can also get firmware updates through wifi.

Anyway:
              Thank you! That was a great help. Im inclined for the kobo because of the Kindle thing of having to buy their books... But kobo reads pdf, right? I don't know what is "white all readers", but I think I understood it correctly. The thing is, the kobo mini costs 89euros and for me that is still a bit :/ the 'normal size one' costs I believe 119 euros. The pdf and e.pub thing is a great deal and it matters to me! and thanks for the wi-fi

I don't get why are they so expensive. In here no one I know has one!

Comment

I've got loads of books for my Kindle that aren't from Amazon, you can get free software to convert any e-book file to Kindle format I adore my Kindle, I have a touchscreen one and it's just fab! I have about 450 books on it at the moment so it's keeping me nice and busy!

Comment

Originally posted by Dziubka View Post

Anyway:
                  Actually kindle does read pdf. my fiance has pdfs on his kindle and I have them on my kindle app for my tablet. They read pdf,epub and mobi. We've both also added books from outside of amazon onto our respective kindle sources. It can be done,just have to know how lol.

As far as buying on ebay,as lyonsgirl said just make sure you buy from a reputable seller,read item discriptions,check their policies and read their feedback section before you buy.

Personally I think any reader is pretty good old or new,as someone else said,the only difference is that the older versions don't have as many features but that's really the only difference.
                  Last edited by LadyDaemon; June 4, 2013, 05:03 PM.

♥ In 666 Ways I Love You & My Heaven Is Wherever You Are. I'm For You. ♥

We Met: June 9,2010
                  Back Together: August 1,2012
                  First Visit: September 21,2012 - September 29,2012
                  Second Visit: January 13,2013 - February 24,2013
                  Engaged: January 17,2013
                  Closed The Distance-MS - AZ: June 15th,2013
                  Moved To FL Together: November 14,2013
                  We Got Married! - July 3,2014
                  SO Graduated College - August 7,2015
                  Moved to Ky - August 10, 2015

Comment

read my PDFs perfectly fine on my Kindle Fire. Amazon has great customer service! If anything goes wrong with your Kindle they'll just send you a new one. c:

Comment

I have a Sony Touch E-reader and I absolutely love it! My mom gave it to me as a Christmas present. I was really upset because I wanted the nook, but when I figured out how to use it, I was sold. Unlike the Kindle and nook, you can't buy books from Amazon and Barnes and Noble. You have to buy them from the Reader Store. But there's over a thousand classic books that are free and for books that I didn't want to buy, you can find free pdfs and just change them to e-pub using a free software like calibre. But my brother has the Kindle Fire and he never goes anywhere without it!

First met: June 2012
                      Became Committed: June 04, 2012
                      Entered an LDR: July 01, 2012
                      Next Visit: October 2013!

XXX XXX

Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle, rather a beautiful reminder of just how strong true love can be.

Comment

What did you mean with "she can borrow books from her library"?

I actually work in a library so, I might be of some help here. Like lyonsgirl said not all libraries can do this yet but, many have this option of checking out e-books on your person nooks and kindles available. If you have a nook or kindle, this is for my library at least I'm sure others may only offer one or the other but, if you have an account with the library you can download an app that will have you log in with you account info (card number and pin number usually) and then you can browse the e-books they have in their selection. A lot of the time you can place books on hold and when they become available they'll automatically be put into your electronic account ready to read. No download or anything or you can simply choose an available book and start reading immediately. It will save it to your account you don't have to do anything extra.

Met Online: 02/2012
                        Started talking privately: 09/20/2012
                        First Met in person: 09/22/2012
                        Started Dating: 10/30/2012
                        Closed the Distance 4/24/2013

Comment

I can get e-books via my university, albeit they are of an academic nature.

Comment

Thank you guys!!

it is awesome how technology has evolved! Thank you all. I really liked the librabry stuff. Although in my country I doubt that is possible. (which actually does not makes any difference since I will be moving to be with my SO :P)

Another question... where can you buy e-books cheap? Apart from the 'stores' available for kindle and so on.
                            I actually find an e-reader very handy to read academic books! It is just a pitty you cannot underline

If you have any other suggestions for an e-reader Im still open to that

Comment

Thank you guys!!

it is awesome how technology has evolved! Thank you all. I really liked the librabry stuff. Although in my country I doubt that is possible. (which actually does not makes any difference since I will be moving to be with my SO :P)

Another question... where can you buy e-books cheap? Apart from the 'stores' available for kindle and so on.
                              I actually find an e-reader very handy to read academic books! It is just a pitty you cannot underline

If you have any other suggestions for an e-reader Im still open to that
                              You can rent ebooks from https://ebookfling.com/ for free.

First met: June 2012
                              Became Committed: June 04, 2012
                              Entered an LDR: July 01, 2012
                              Next Visit: October 2013!

XXX XXX

Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle, rather a beautiful reminder of just how strong true love can be.

Comment

Working...
                              X