Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Completely shut off laptop monitor while in a Skype audio call?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Completely shut off laptop monitor while in a Skype audio call?

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to completely shut off a laptop monitor (not just dim the screen or activate the screensaver) while in an audio call on Skype? I've tried a couple of different settings/programs that do shut off the monitor during an audio call but after a minute or so, the screen turns back on and I'd like something that will prevent that from happening or at the very least, delay it from happening for a longer period of time. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

Thanks so much!

Sorry I have no idea =| I only use skype on my iPhone. Maybe you should just do video chat so you will want it on =P

Comment

Why don't you want to see?
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I'm not sure I'm getting what you want, but you can cut off the video easily. Just click the icon that looks like an icon. The icon will then display a red slash through it to show that the video is off. You will still see the other party, but he/she can't see you.

Comment

Sorry I should have stated this in my original post. My SO and I like to fall asleep together while on an audio call on Skype. We both curl up in bed, set up our laptops besides our beds and fall asleep with our mics on. I'd like to try to find a way to force both of our laptop monitors/screens to shut off completely during that audio call as the light coming from my SO's laptop screen tends to bother him sometimes while he is trying to fall asleep while on mic with me, even with his screen dimmed. It doesn't really bother me all that much but it would be nice to elimate the light coming from the screen. We've tried changing power settings but our monitors won't shut off while the call is active and we've also tried a utillity called "Monitor Off" which does shut off the monitor while the call is active but then the screen turns itself back on after a minute or less which isn't very helpful.

I hope this clarifies what I meant in my original post, sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Can't you just shut your laptop?
            So, here you are
            too foreign for home
            too foreign for here.
            Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

Is it possable to use some free dialing system like Viber? Or use a sleeping mask to shut out the light. I guess that even if you shut off the picture showing, the screen will still send out light, to enable you to write and make changes in the call.
              I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
              - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Ejoriah, both of our mics are inbuilt into the inside of the top of ours screen so we wouldn't be able to hear each other if we closed the screens. It would also muffle the sound coming from our laptop speakers. We might have to look into getting headsets that have a mic instead if we can't find another option that works besides closing our screens. Hopefully sleeping with a headset on wouldn't annoy my SO though, I already sleep with headphones on so it wouldn't bother me.

differentcountries, we don't need or want there to be any light coming from the screen as it annoys my SO at times while he is trying to sleep and we won't need to be typing to each other during the call as we'll have our mics on so can just talk with voice to each other if we're not asleep. There are programs that allows us to shut the screen off but Skype seems to bypass them and wake the screen up during an active call. We might even look into using a different calling program, such as the one you suggested because maybe another program wouldn't wake the screen up like Skype does.

Thanks so much for all your responses!

Comment

I actually have a specific button on my laptop that shuts off just the laptop monitor. It's actually my F5 key. There's a little picture thing on it
                  I don't know about you though xD. Did you try researching the instruction manual of your laptop online? Maybe you gotta press a bunch of keys to turn it off xD
                  Last edited by TooFarAway; January 6, 2014, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Huh, TooFarAway made me look at my keyboard and I have one as well (but it's on my F4 key). That's something to look into!
                    So, here you are
                    too foreign for home
                    too foreign for here.
                    Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

Working...
                    X