Screen sharing movies question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen sharing movies question

My SO and I had a really good date night tonight. We spent about an hour talking on Skype, then we watched a movie together on Skype. I had a movie he had never seen, and I knew he'd enjoy it. So, I popped it into the DVD drawer of the computer, and we screen shared the movie via Skype. He could hear it fine, but he said the picture was crappy. Do any of you have any ideas how to make that better? I'd have to download a special program to upload the movie to my computer, if I wanted to use anything else. I could use Synaptop that way. I really don't want to have to do that, if possible. I'd like to use Skype and screen share. This would be helpful in many ways. If he has a movie, we could watch it together. If we want to watch something we'd rent, we'd only have to rent one. Previously, we have each rented the same movie and tried to sync our movies to start at the same time (you know, 1, 2, 3, I'm pushing play now) and talked on the phone while watching.

Do any of you know how to make the picture quality better of a movie playing on my computer while we screen share?

I never even knew you could screen share with skype. How neat! As far as your problem, I did a little research and didn't find much for a solution so hopefully someone else might know more. What I did find was you can try to only share one window instead of the whole screen. And also if either of you are using wifi you can try to just hardware the internet instead as that makes a faster connection. Also make sure both of you have the latest version of Skype. I know there's a program where you can upload the video and you both stream it but like you said you want to avoid having to do that. And I don't blame you.

Hope you find the solution

Comment

Do you know what the program where you can upload it and both stream it is?
      So, here you are
      too foreign for home
      too foreign for here.
      Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

Watching together with your so over Skype sounds like fun I don't know the answer to this, but I could be interested to know
        I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
        - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Your only option is to use another program. You're going to have problems nonetheless because P2P connections are far from perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
            Your only option is to use another program. You're going to have problems nonetheless because P2P connections are far from perfect.
            This. Skype isn't good enough for watching a movie, no matter what you do. You definitely need another program. We have used your first method, each having a copy of the movie and syncing when we start it + having skype video call open. I've never had any problems with it, probably also the simplest way. Why didnt you like it this way?

Comment

Skype screenshare always ends up choppy and unclear when you're trying to play movies through it. I doubt any other similar platforms would be any better. What we do is find the same movie online and do the "1...2...3...play" countdown. We're in a Skype call while doing this we can talk through it (: It works great for us.
              “The ties that binds us are sometimes impossible to explain. They connect us even after it seems like the ties should be broken. Some bonds defy distance and time and logic; Because some ties are simply… meant to be.” - Grey’s Anatomy

>Little Box<

Comment

Thank you all for your answers. Thank you kitten mittens for your research for me.

ethelynn - It's really hard to get the movie on the same place, so it can be aggravating. "Oh, I'm not there yet" is the problem. I was just hoping for better, plus watching a movie from my computer with one of my DVD's eliminates the need for my SO to have a copy of the same movie.

Ejoriah - No, I don't remember any of the names of the programs, but I googled how to upload (rip) a DVD to my computer. Several programs popped up for it. I'm not sure how many are reputable or free. If you get a movie from your computer drive to the computer memory, then you can watch easily via Synaptop.

Comment

You can watch videos through Garry's Mod's theater mod option online. Garry's Mod is a game you can get through Steam and the mod is free.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                  First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                  Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                  Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                  Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                  Married: 1/24/2015
                  Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Too bad you didn't watch the movie online, I used to watch movies with my SO at the same time with both videos up and started at the same time so we would laugh together xD

Comment

Originally posted by LittleBox View Post
                      What we do is find the same movie online and do the "1...2...3...play" countdown. We're in a Skype call while doing this we can talk through it (: It works great for us.
                      This is what my SO and I do Never even knew you could screen share in Skype haha The way we do it works fine for us too though..

Comment

Hey, I couldn't find anything a while back, so I just made this free website called dobby.co. It takes care of the video syncing for you and lets you share your webcam, voice, and type on the movie. It's in very early beta.

The only catch is that you both need to have the same .mp4 video in order for this to work. You also have to not be in a Skype call so that it can access your webcam and microphone, since only one program can use them at a time.

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by missingmywife View Post
                          Hey, I couldn't find anything a while back, so I just made this free website called dobby.co. It takes care of the video syncing for you and lets you share your webcam, voice, and type on the movie. It's in very early beta.

The only catch is that you both need to have the same .mp4 video in order for this to work. You also have to not be in a Skype call so that it can access your webcam and microphone, since only one program can use them at a time.

Hope this helps
                          This sounds like a great idea. I hope it takes off and does well. However, I did want something that didn't require us both having the same video, though. I've tried all kinds of ways to get my DVDs onto my computer and switched to a version that Synaptop will let me share, but none have worked. I've given up. It's too hard to convert the DVDs. Thank you for your idea, though.

Comment

Hi Piratemama, thanks for checking it out

Unfortunately we're a little restricted by internet speeds as well as legalities, so we can't really just have one person upload the video We're trying to get this to work on Netflix so that both people will have access to the same content, but this is what we can do right now.

Comment

Originally posted by missingmywife View Post
                              Hi Piratemama, thanks for checking it out

Unfortunately we're a little restricted by internet speeds as well as legalities, so we can't really just have one person upload the video We're trying to get this to work on Netflix so that both people will have access to the same content, but this is what we can do right now.
                              I understand. Makes sense, and it's great you are working with this.

Comment

Working...
                              X