Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Program to send and receive SMS

Hey all,
    Just wondering if you can recommend a program that lets me send and receive SMS . I am in Australia and my gf is in america so I'd like to be able to receive sms from her. I currently use skype to text her but it's annoying she can't reply.
    I tried the Skype Online numbers, and got one in her area, but it can't receive SMS, only calls.

Thanks

My SO and I use whatsapp. If you have smartphones you should be able to both get it. We love it and we've been using it for a long time.

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
    Married April 18th, 2015!!
    Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

Hey Mims thanks for the reply.
      I use Whatsapp but unfortunately my gf doesn't have a smartphone.
      I'm beginning to think it might be cheaper/easier for me to buy her a smartphone so we can use whatsapp and maybe Viber, because when I add up all the skype credit I've spent on texts/calls it probably totals a cheap smartphone hahaha.

Cheers

Comment

Yes, I would reccomend getting her a smartphone if you can afford it. I did for my boyfriend (and got myself one, too) - it has made communication a whole lot easier and we are having more fun with it.
        I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
        - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Yeah I use Whatsapp on my smartphone to keep in touch with my family at home and it's really handy. I also like that you can upload pictures and stuff. At the moment if I'm on the go I'll FB her any funny pictures, , but she can only get on FB when shes on a PC. What I like about whatsapp and normal text messaging is how it's real time so it makes it feel almost like you are closer.

Comment

You can get smartphones like the other suggested and Get whatsapp (Texts, Pictures and Voice recordings) Tango (Texts and calls) And you can get the app called Couple.

Comment

Ok managed to come up with a free, temporary solution, which might be useful for other people in this situation.
              I signed up for a free google voice account (had to use a US proxy), then I registered for a free google voice number in the same state as my gf. It needed a US number to verify, so we used hers. Now I can text her for free and she can reply at a local rate (which for her is free).
              Unfortunately we can't call each on this through the proxy, so will just stick with skype for that. Also I have to be at a PC behind a proxy to check my inbox, but that's no big deal for me since most of the time I'm studying in the library at a PC.
              I hope this temporary solution might help some other couples out there.

Comment

I bought my SO a smartphone so we could stay in touch. Probably the best money I ever spent. Now we can whatsapp, Skype, everything. It's good you have found a temporary fix, but you might want to consider investing in a smartphone.
                London girl, American cowboy. "Like a western Dirty Dancing."

Comment

Yeah I will, one of my best mates is in a LDR and he's always whatsapping and 'vibering' his gf, seems like a great thing

Comment

My ex and I used to use Twitter to text because it was free but it got a little annoying because of character limits. You can check it out here.
                    “The ties that binds us are sometimes impossible to explain. They connect us even after it seems like the ties should be broken. Some bonds defy distance and time and logic; Because some ties are simply… meant to be.” - Grey’s Anatomy

>Little Box<

Comment

Working...
                    X