Send text messages from a pc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Send text messages from a pc

My SO and I discovered a way to send free text messages from a pc to a smartphone. I don't have a smartphone, so I don't text. Usually we don't have any issues with me emailing him and him getting back to me, as he pretty much keeps close tabs on his emails. However, today I really needed to get his advice about something quickly and couldn't. I don't call him - I know it's weird, but I have my reasons.

After talking about it, he promised to check into it. Isn't he sweet? Anyway, he called his phone carrier and one service was recommended. It's https://www.txt2day.com/. I've not tried it, but I did read a lot on the website, esp. the faq. The site says "There is absolutely no cost to send a message, and receiving a message is free as long as the recipient's cell phone plan includes text message and they aren't over their limit." They also promise no spam or advertisements.

It seems like I had seen this idea mentioned here on the forum, but it looked like the receiver would have to pay. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyhoo - I wanted to make the suggestion. I'm sure someone else on this planet must be in the same boat I'm in. If this info is already on the forum, please forgive me. I'm only trying to be helpful.

I use my Verizon email to send text messages to my company cell phones all the time. You just have to send an "email" to the phone number at Vtext.com for instance. If the phone number of the cell was 123-456-7890 then you would create an email and make the receiver 1234567890@vtext.com and it is totally free except for any text fees the receiver has set up with their provider. This won't work for international but it does for any calls within USA for Verizon on my plan.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Hollandia View Post
      I use my Verizon email to send text messages to my company cell phones all the time. You just have to send an "email" to the phone number at Vtext.com for instance. If the phone number of the cell was 123-456-7890 then you would create an email and make the receiver 1234567890@vtext.com and it is totally free except for any text fees the receiver has set up with their provider. This won't work for international but it does for any calls within USA for Verizon on my plan.
      His carrier isn't Verizon. He called his carrier, and they are the ones that suggested txt2day.com. It would be convenient to do it your way. I can't wait until I get a smartphone. That will be my first present for myself when I get my new job.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollandia View Post
        That's how I do it, too. Mainly because I'm a lazy texter -- much easier for me to type up the message on a computer keyboard rather than the tiny buttons on a phone.

When they reply back, it goes into my email. I have an email notifier so I know when the reply has come in -- nearly as fast as regular texting.
        February 2012 -- met online
        August 2012 -- he said "I love you."
        April 2013 -- met in person
        June 2013 -- broke up
        July 2013 -- back together
        August 2013 -- 2nd visit
        October 20, 2013 -- He proposed!
        April 22, 2014 -- Married/closed the distance!

Comment

Originally posted by Benni View Post
          That's how I do it, too. Mainly because I'm a lazy texter -- much easier for me to type up the message on a computer keyboard rather than the tiny buttons on a phone.

When they reply back, it goes into my email. I have an email notifier so I know when the reply has come in -- nearly as fast as regular texting.
          I use it for work so that all my business appts are kept in the email and then sent to folder for safekeeping. I thought some might not know about it and if they have Verizon they could give it a go sometimes if they wanted. Not sure, but other mobile providers might offer the same thing if you call them.
          "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Nearly all of them offer it. On this site, scroll down to see a list of providers and what their gateway addresses are:

SMS Gateways
            June 2013 -- broke up
            August 2013 -- 2nd visit

Comment

Originally posted by Benni View Post
              Nearly all of them offer it. On this site, scroll down to see a list of providers and what their gateway addresses are:

SMS Gateways
              I checked out the site, Benni. At the top of the page, they say that it's free to send the text messages, but that the receiver would probably be charged. Is that true? The txt2day.com site is free for both parties. If this site on gateways is free for my SO, I'm going to ask him about it. It would be cool to do it that way.

Comment

I don't use the site to send text messages. I just use it to get the addresses to use through email.

For instance, my sis uses StraightTalk. So, through this site, I learned that to send her a text through email from my computer, I would use "mobile-number@VTEXT.COM" as her email address which goes to her phone as a text.
                When she replies back, through her phone, the reply comes to my email inbox.
                June 2013 -- broke up
                August 2013 -- 2nd visit

Comment

Working...
                X