To all the Canadians in LDRs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To all the Canadians in LDRs

I thought I'd mention this in case you were unaware. The CRTC has been lobbying for some time to introduce a plan in Canada for usage-based billing. If you have internet in Canada then you know it's pretty crappy. Either the speed is or the price is or both. We've got 2 options. Rogers and Bell. Anything else are rented lines from either of the 2. And what this bill will do is force those companies to charge more for usage and eliminate any unlimited bandwidth plans.

George Stroumboulopoulos has a good bit about it:

Here's an example off the top of my head to better illustrate:

Current Bell plan:
    5 MB line - 60 GB bandwidth cap per month - $39.95 monthly fee - $0.50 for each GB you go over. Max is $30 or 15 GB

After the new CRTC ruling:
    5 MB line - 25 GB bandwidth cap per month - $34.95 monthly fee - $2 for each GB you go over. Max is 30 GB or $60.

Essentially it's a very LOW cap with a very HIGH over charge. And with today's media 25 GB isn't going to get you a whole lot... Also, this may look familiar if you have a cell phone... Except minus the free evening and weekends.

What does this mean for those of us in LDRs? We can expect higher rates for our internet usage. We'll have to be careful about how much we Skype. No more leaving cams on all night. Watch how much we stream and download in video media to watch together. No more Netflix or Youtube marathons. Watch the file sizes of our pictures and videos we send back and forth. It'd be a nightmare...

As of right now the Liberals and NDP are against the ruling, which is good. Harper has imposed a review which might get some things changed in the specifics. March 1st, 2011 is when they'll decide. And those of us who are using cable aren't in the clear. That one is coming up in July. This affects everyone in Canada who uses the internet.

What can be done? You can sign a petition at StoptheMeter.ca (about 285,000 signatures and counting) and pass it along. This petition and it's over 20k signatures is partially why an appeal was made. There's also lots of information there about the ruling, the CRTC and net neutrality.

I hope this doesn't go into affect. It'd put a real dent in how Ray and I communicate with each other. We watch a lot of movies/tv shows together and play MMO games. It's our primary way to spend time together online. And of course we Skype every day as well. My average bandwidth usage each month is about 60-70 GB. And even when I was being good and not using a lot aside from the normal things with him I'd be racking in 1-2 GB each day (mostly from Skype).

For more information:

https://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2011...t.html?ref=rss

https://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/5611/125/

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...rticle1882339/

Well... that seems a bit unnecessary and unfair. I signed it. This is ridiculous, internet is already overpriced enough as it is, making it more expensive is just gonna piss people off. I don't even want to know what my bandwidth is, especially seeing as how I share it with 2 other people, they're just trying to get more money from people and make them stop sharing internet usage. I hope this petition makes a difference!!

Comment

It's always shocking to me just how stupid Canada is when it comes to cell phones and the internet. When I went to Australia, $70 a month got you enough phone minutes and data to last you, a FREE iphone (and the newest one, too!) and it was only a two year plan. I came back, and the same amount gets you less minutes, less data, it's a 3 year contract and you're STILL paying $200 for an iphone. What. The. Hell. I love everything about Canada, except this.

I signed the petition, here's hoping it makes a difference.

"You know it's love when you want to keep holding hands even after you're sweaty."
      -- Anonymous

Comment

Ahh!!! That's ridiculous!! I signed the petition and shared it to my facebook.. hopefully it makes a difference!! I depend on the internet to talk to my boyfriend everyday...

Comment

I agree with everyone else, internet in canada is extremely overpriced. I'm going to have the rogers plan of 15GB a month, but I will still be paying around $30 for it. I also signed the petition.

I'm surprised that Harper is actually wanting to do something about this instead of sitting on his ass doing nothing or screwing around by supporting this bill (i'm not a fan of harper).

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Wow this is crazyyyyyyyyyy .. what a rip off!!!! I know my mom's with Bell and pays like 60$ for the internet and it's unlimited (I don't know if this is still possible but we've had our plan for years now).
            I have to agree with all of yous, though.. I pay like 60$ for my cell phone every month (I'm with Fido). The plan itself is not that expensive but for every little thing I want to add I have to pay 5 more dollars. It really pisses me off.

I signed the petition, this is just pure nonsense.

I'm not telling you it's going to be easy.
            I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.

Comment

Signed. We pay $40 a month with telus, not sure I could afford to pay anymore.

Comment

Another site has popped up with more info on the usage-based billing (UBB) that explains a lot.

https://www.antiubb.com/why-should-we-oppose-ubb/

I've been wading around the news and it's been difficult to say the least to find information. I could be tinfoil hatting, but there's something fishy about all the attention it's not getting in the media. Could it have something to do with BCE (Bell) bidding $1.3 billion to buy CTV and the fact Rogers owns Global? I dunno... But here in Toronto I hear a lot about the snow storm that wasn't lol and next to nothing about the CRTC and UBB. :/

From what I could understand it's pure corporate greed. Bell is used to us paying for all their services (landline phone, tv, internet and cell phones). But a lot of people want to watch tv episodes exclusively online and use VOIP eliminating the need to subscribe to more services. And paying money to companies like Netflix, Wind, Skype, iTunes, etc has apparently gotten Bell upset. So they've got the CRTC to pull this stunt that virtually eliminates any 3rd party providers and services from growing and expanding here by limiting our bandwidth usage. Ugh, I just hope that the outcome of this finally gets the issue out that Canada needs more competition in our telecommunication markets. Having 2 huge companies run the show is not cool.

Originally posted by Riyko View Post
                I'm surprised that Harper is actually wanting to do something about this instead of sitting on his ass doing nothing or screwing around by supporting this bill (i'm not a fan of harper).
                I think the only reason he did anything is because of the potential to lose some big American companies' services (Apple/iTunes, Netflix, Sony/PSN, Microsoft/XBL) and that's less money coming into the economy for him. :/

Comment

Thanks for reminding me about this. I had already signed it and posted it to my Facebook profile before I saw this, but I hadn't discussed it with my SO. As much as I don't like Harper, I am pleasantly surprised that signing the petition has instigated some political change, where there will be a review at least.

My family and I certainly can't afford more than we are already paying and I shudder to think of my penny pinching father now policing my Skype time. In general, it is so backwards, too. It takes me back to the Middle Ages when only elite monks and royalty had access to literacy and research information. It's saying that there should be elite access to the internet, based on expendable income. Okay, I could seriously go on ranting about this, but I think you all agree that it is ridiculous!

Comment

I think everyone can relax a little. Seconds after I signed the petition and went on a research rampage, I found this: https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ternet-billing (All thanks to the wonders of the internet!!)

I would be seriously SCREWED over if the change was implemented. I'm a broke-ass college student (taking a couple online courses), living way from home for the first time and obviously in an LDR. It all adds up to needing the internet almost constantly. Nice to know there's still people high up that actually..care about us.

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianGirl View Post
                      I think everyone can relax a little. Seconds after I signed the petition and went on a research rampage, I found this: https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ternet-billing (All thanks to the wonders of the internet!!).
                      I'm glad to hear that. ^^ I find it interesting how the internet can create a lot of change. Before letters would have to be written and mailed or people would have to physically go protest. Even if you were concerned about the issue, how many people would find the time or make the effort? As opposed to now the internet makes it much easier for voices (especially consumer voices) to be heard. And in such volume right out in the public for everyone to see that it'd be stupid to ignore it. Ah, the modern age. ^^

Comment

Working...
                      X