No announcement yet.

Leaving Skype on all night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow!! I have never heard of this before and I think I love the idea!! Our routine has been talking on the phone with each other right before we go to bed. Usually we both are curled up in bed on the phone and when we hang up, we drift off to sleep "together". I have brought up Skype a few times, but my BF has been very hesitant...I would say almost nervous about it. Not sure why because we have met a couple times already.

But on the tech side, I would definitely leave your laptop on a hard surface like a night stand so that it can properly ventilate. Otherwise, you may just have to reboot your computer in the morning when you wake up. Thanks for the idea!!

Comment

As long as it's not overheating, you should be alright.

Comment

I use a Macbook Pro and I've never had any problems with leaving it on over night. I know sometimes our calls can reach up to 24+ hours. We go to bed and wake up on it, just starting our day and what not.

Comment

I used to do it on my laptop but I'd have it on one of those laptop lap table things to prevent overheating. Nowadays I use my smartphone with the wireless internet and plug my headset into it. Less heat and loads more comfortable on the ears with earbuds instead of a big headset.

Comment

Originally posted by Death2Atron View Post
            I use a Macbook Pro and I've never had any problems with leaving it on over night. I know sometimes our calls can reach up to 24+ hours. We go to bed and wake up on it, just starting our day and what not.

me and my SOs calls last 24 hours all the time lol. usually the reason the call ends is because we disconnect, but we have gotten to 40 hours before.

I have a Dell laptop and haven't had any problems with skype being on all night, I used to leave my desktop computer on 24/7 and haven't had any problems with that either in the 3 years i've had it. just make sure its not overheating and youll be fine
            Met Online: February 2009
            Feelings grew: January 2011
            First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
            Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
            Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
            Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
            Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
            Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
            Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
            Engaged: 1st of July 2012
            Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
            Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
            Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
            Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
            Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
            Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

Haha I thought I was the only one that left my laptop on all night! We used to stay up really late and fall asleep talking, one day she said - 'go to sleep and I will stay with you' and since then we have been 'sleeping' together every night. We have our laptops on a nightstand and so they don't over heat. Sometimes I wake up and I have I am disconnected but just reconnect. It's nice, and now I can't sleep without her. Hence why I am awake now - she is away for a few days and can't be online. It's cool that so many others do it too. :-)

Comment

I'm in the "living on skype" club too. We have a six hour difference and both work a full week so the laptops do get time to "rest" but if we are both home we are logged on and sleep together every night. We've been doing this since April with no problems.Before that we did 4 or 5 hours every day with weekend sleepovers but the latest skype download is really good at reconnecting itself when one or other is asleep and falls offline so its easier just to leave it on.
                We aren't glued to the cams the whole time. He might watch a movie whilst I clean up or spend time with the kids and he sometimes gets lost in his own wee world with his guitar but he never feels further away than the next room (in fact it makes me grin when I'm elsewhere in the house and he shouts me)
                Reading how some people only get to connect once a week or whatever makes me really, really appreciate the amount of contact we have (he's sleeping in a wee box on the corner of my screen as I type this) but it still makes me sad when I type a "have an nice day" note below a sleeping man and log off to head out to work and he says he misses me when he wakes and I'm gone.

Comment

We spend every night together either on Skype or ooVoo. We use our computers before we get in bed and we switch to using our Ipods to go to bed. We used to use the phone but I burned through 2 batteries and was told by Verizon my phone we becoming a fire hazard it was getting too hot. I know we are really lucky to be able to see and talk to eachother as much as we do and spend time together. I feel bad for other couples that can't and I never take our time for granted.

Comment

Yeah the only thing that you should make sure you keep an eye on has already been said, make sure your computer is in a fully ventilated position when you're going to fall asleep. Put it n a hard cold surface like a desk or if you need your laptop on your bed, put a tray underneath. Just make sure it wont overheat and you should be good

Comment

Kyle and I are on Skype as much as possible. Yesterday we both actually had some downtime together and we were on for over 6 hours. I really like that we can just go about our usual routines while being on Skype. It's almost like he's right there with me! :]

As for keeping Skype on while I'm sleeping? That's a great idea but my Macbook for some reason likes to shut off Skype when it wants to. I'd like to try that sometime though!
                      Last edited by ashleyrose7990; August 7, 2012, 02:35 PM. Reason: didn't reply to the actual question
                      Met/First Date: October 18, 2013
                      First Kiss: October 18, 2013
                      We Fell in Love: November 2013
                      First Visit To See Him in TX: November 15-17 2013
                      His Recent Visit To PA: October 18-20 2013

LOVE > DISTANCE

Comment

I've always wanted to try this but I don't have a desk close by my bed to put my computer on :/
                        I was thinking maybe trying to download the Skype app on my phone... but the last time him and I tried that, my video wasn't working :/
                        I heard Facetime works really well?

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney:) View Post
                          I've always wanted to try this but I don't have a desk close by my bed to put my computer on :/
                          I was thinking maybe trying to download the Skype app on my phone... but the last time him and I tried that, my video wasn't working :/
                          I heard Facetime works really well?
                          When my laptop stopped working, my SO and I used facetime (I have an ipad/itouch and he has an iphone). The video is always so much better on any Apple product (in my opinion) but it was just a pain to get in the right position so I didn't have to awkwardly hold the ipad up and he said he felt dorky holding his phone up to his face so I could see him haha. Oh well though!

Comment

Working...
                          X