Baking..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baking..

... Is really a pain in the arse. I'm not a particulalry good cook. Nor a tidy one, and sometimes the clean-up makes me wish I never started!

However, the fact that Obi takes a small container full of my biscuits to work every day warms a small part of my soul, meaning next time I get a day off I'll be at it again. Plus, I like eating cookie dough. Who doesn't? And it makes the house smell nice.

The point of my ramble today?

I believe that kitchen art can bring people together. He eats my cookies and thinks "Gee, I have a great girlfriend. Lucky me." and I see him appreciate my cookies and think "gee, he's getting fat."

No, I kid I'm just being a dick.

But! I challenge you to bake for your SO and stick them in the post! A good, well sealed tupperware (I'm a big fan of "lock & lock"!) will keep the bickies fresh for a month or more (especially if it's ANZAC biscuits, those things last forever.). Do iiiiit.
    Then come and share what you made!

Today I'm baking chocolate chip cookies!
    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

I really want to do that! If I send something to my SO, it will take at least 2 weeks. I would love to make him heart-shaped cookies. Can the ANZAC biscuits be shaped before you bake them?

Comment

I have so been meaning to send DB cookies! I have three packs, icing and a new tuperware container just waiting to be sent to him and I still have not gotten around to it. It will take so long to arrive in Iraq though that i'm not really sure how to keep them fresh in shipping for so long!

Comment

Rach - I'm pretty sure they can't be, they tend to just spread themselves all over the place. Not the prettiest bickie in the world, that's for sure.

Tiny - How long does it take? I've never sent anything to Iraq before.
        Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

lol, when I go up there Alex and I are baking cookies together. ;3 I'm so excited~! >w<

Comment

I made some anzac biscuits for anzac day this year, but they were as hard as concrete so I don't think I'll try that again...

I've heard putting a piece of bread in with the cookies keeps them fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rach321 View Post
              I really want to do that! If I send something to my SO, it will take at least 2 weeks. I would love to make him heart-shaped cookies. Can the ANZAC biscuits be shaped before you bake them?
              https://www.101cookbooks.com/archive...es-recipe.html

I was looking to see what ANZAC biscuits were, and the first link I saw had them heart shaped.

I have baked chocolate chip cookies for my SO lots of times. He's in the UK, and I'm in the US. Usually it takes about 2 weeks for them to get to him, and during Christmas it took 3, I think! I had put them in a sealed container, and they were fine when he got them. And, as he usually eats them so fast, they didn't have time to get stale at all.

It is nice to see how excited he gets about receiving cookies! And, it's great to feel like I can do something small to spoil him a bit from so far away!

Comment

Awesome! Thanks Seshei!

Comment

I've done this, and it turned out great! I made some chocolate chip pudding cookies and chocolate orange cookies, sealed them up in tupperware really well, and sent them. My guy LOVED them! It took longer to get there than usual, and I'm sure they were kinda stale, but he ate them anyway and really made a big deal out of them It made the horrible clean up of my cookie mess almost worth it.
                  Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Tinyteef View Post
                    I have so been meaning to send DB cookies! I have three packs, icing and a new tuperware container just waiting to be sent to him and I still have not gotten around to it. It will take so long to arrive in Iraq though that i'm not really sure how to keep them fresh in shipping for so long!
                    I've sent cookies to my cousin in Iraq and have tried a couple different methods I've heard of. All have worked, according to him.
                    1. Just individually wrapping groups of 3 or 4 cookies in plastic wrap and then placing them in a tupperware.
                    2. Placing cookies in tupperware container with a slice of white bread (keeps the cookies softer)
                    3. Use a cleaned pringles can and place cookies in can wrapped in plastic wrap or not wrapped in plastic wrap.
                    4. Put cookies in vacuum sealed bags.

As for sending my SO baked goods (the farthest he's been stationed so far is Washington state) I've sent him cookies, cupcakes, muffins, breads, scones...so many things and sending them priority mail gets them there in 2 days.

Comment

I have heard that if you put the cookies in a ziploc bag and than fill the box around it with popped unbuttered popcorn, they'll last in the mail

Comment

Working...
                      X