Activities OFF SKYPE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Activities OFF SKYPE?

We have been having a lot of trouble feeling close since, because of the time difference, we can only Skype and have face time for a very short time during the day. In order to continue feeling close we are trying to find ways to stay in touch while the other is busy... Here are some examples we have so far:

- Reading the same book - this way we can share what we have read when we do get to talk to each other.
    - Words with Friends, Draw Something, and other multi-player games/apps - this way we can take turns without the other being there.
    - Lit RPG - for those Role Players out there, this is a written form of a role playing game and, again, we can reply to each other without the other being there.

We are looking for more activities similar to this and I was wondering if anyone here would have any suggestions?

One thing my GF and I do all the time (and it lead to our relationship), is to set out questions for each other every day. We usually write up 4-5 and swap them in the morning. We can then answer them one at a time or all at once on busier days. We ask everything from our favourite cereals to where we see each other in 5 years etc.
    It's a great way to keep the other person on your mind as you are answering to them and not a game, and it has really helped us get to know a lot about each other.
    We also listen to the radio a lot, and as I can connect to the internet practically anywhere, I can listen to her local stations at the same time as her.

Comment

My SO and I are artistic and sometimes we make each other small pieces of art when we're apart (such as a simple portrait of the other person or a drawing of us cuddling). If you don't think of yourself as artistic, it's ok, the thought counts and its usually pretty cute anyway to the SO

Originally posted by ThePotato View Post
      One thing my GF and I do all the time (and it lead to our relationship), is to set out questions for each other every day. We usually write up 4-5 and swap them in the morning. We can then answer them one at a time or all at once on busier days. We ask everything from our favourite cereals to where we see each other in 5 years etc.
      It's a great way to keep the other person on your mind as you are answering to them and not a game, and it has really helped us get to know a lot about each other.
      We also listen to the radio a lot, and as I can connect to the internet practically anywhere, I can listen to her local stations at the same time as her.
      Wow! These are really cool ideas, definitely going to suggest the radio one to my SO sometime

Comment

One thing Shane and I do is keep similar routines and eat similar foods. We both do karate on Tuesday/Thursday. We both go to the gym on Monday and Wednesdays and for some reason we always eat similar foods. It helps to keep us connected.

Comment

Originally posted by newrytoballymena View Post
          One thing Shane and I do is keep similar routines and eat similar foods. We both do karate on Tuesday/Thursday. We both go to the gym on Monday and Wednesdays and for some reason we always eat similar foods. It helps to keep us connected.
          That is so cool!! I love that! I wish mine and my SO's schedule fit better like that . That would totally make me feel more connected to my SO!

Comment

Originally posted by mellif View Post
            Wow! These are really cool ideas, definitely going to suggest the radio one to my SO sometime
            Glad you liked it :-)

For both local and foreign stations, I use the tuneIn app on my phone (available for most phones/tablets) and radioSure on the desktop. At times I can pick up more of her local stations than she can!
            (I won't link the apps in case that's frowned upon, but they are freely available).

Comment

Originally posted by ThePotato View Post
              all good when relationship is new, but what we you practically know everything already? My SO says, I know all I don't know what to ask you...and we too are drifting apart because we can0t find anything to feel close anymore, so me too as OP am searching for something useful and not too mushy as he's too logical for those stuffs

Comment

Originally posted by innocentbutterfly View Post
                all good when relationship is new, but what we you practically know everything already? My SO says, I know all I don't know what to ask you...and we too are drifting apart because we can0t find anything to feel close anymore, so me too as OP am searching for something useful and not too mushy as he's too logical for those stuffs
                I will admit there are times where it can be hard to come up with new questions, but they don't always have to be deep, soul-aligning questions. If you are out shopping and you pass a nice smelling bakery, use it to ask "If you were could be locked in a bakery or a chocolate shop overnight, which would you choose? AND, which would you choose if you knew you couldn't eat anything?"

If you have a dream about them saving you from a giant rubber duck, think up questions based on that. "How would you defeat a giant rubber duck to save me?" "Do you prefer a quick in and out bath, or are you going to need time, rubber ducks and a toy boat?"

Questions don't have to be about your SO, either. They are as much about you. My GF and I think up questions for each other, but once I've answered hers; I get her to answer them too, and vice versa.

If your SO isn't into mushy questions, just try to phrase them in a way that means he can answer them and still feel macho.

"If you were to take me hiking and I hurt my ankle, would you stay with me and wait for help, or leave me to go get help? or other...."

The one piece of advice I would give everyone, is not to ask to many "in your face" type questions (number of exes, worst relationship etc.). You might want to hear the answer, but it opens the door for the same level of questions back, and you might not want to answer them.

Comment

Originally posted by innocentbutterfly View Post
                  Also, why not ask this community for some questions! It seems a wide and varied bunch, so there is bound to be a few you haven't thought of. If you like them you can try them out, and others can use them too.

Comment

I don't have a webcam--nor a smart phone, but I do have a laptop--and my boyfriend doesn't have a computer(though he has a smartphone), so I like the question thing and internet games. He's 17(almost 18) and I'm 19, so I'm not sure what to ask though. My bf and I don't talk as much lately and I was wondering what other, free things I could try. I mean, literally free, I'm broke and still looking for a job. This is my first decent relationship, and my first LDR, and I'm kind of at a loss of how to be closer to him when there's not much I can really do for him at this distance. I do what I can, but...I don't really know what I'm doing here, I just want to be able to call him and avoid all the awkward silences we're used to when we don't know what to talk about but we just want to be with each other....any advice on what to do or talk about? Is this even the right forum thread to ask? Sorry if it's not.

Comment

Working...
                    X