Blackberry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blackberry

so, i'm posting this in the to-do thread, but its actually about communication...
    the title says it all (almost )
    i've acquired a Blackberry a few weeks ago, and thought id share with you why it suits my SO and i.. i currently reside in Lebanon, while he is in the USA. for the past year we have mainly communicated via instant messaging, email, and about once every 6 weeks phone; thats mainly due to the horrible costs of phone calls, and the nonexistent cellphone plans that would allow us easy communication at affordable rates, plus internet here is pretty slow (and expensive) and the bandwidth usage is limited (so no video, and no too much Skype )... add to that the 10 hour time difference, and both of us juggling with university AND jobs... you get the picture...

a few months ago the Blackberry Internet Service has been provided in my country by both carriers.. it is restricted in the amount of data that you can use (100 MB/month) BUT it allows us to be able to contact each other through email, PIN messages and BBmessaging, ie actually receive a notification that my SO has sent me a msg at any moment of the day without being in front of my computer... to me that is magic! (compared to what i had!) true, i dont use it to browse the internet, but it helps create the feeling that we are reachable at the tip of our fingers... i know he is there at the other side no matter the time, and what hes doing... to me thats priceless!
    thankfully, we arent the type of people that spend 80% of their time messaging each other, especially if we are with company, because we both find this very very rude... but just the knowledge of the other person being there at the tip of your finger is super comforting!

i'm just super overwhelmed with how this is affecting my life, and well i know this might be considered as publicity, but i thought it would be good to put it out there, maybe someone would benefit from it too : )
    Don't be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again.
    And meeting again, after moments or lifetime, is certain for those who are friends.
    ~Richard Bach

“Always,” said Snape.

Aww, I think that's really lovely! Hey, anytime you can find compatible phone plans, ESPECIALLY overseas, is a serious win!

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

I agree! It's the most wonderful feeling. I didn't realize how important it is until I didn't have it anymore... Glad you found a solution Ioanna!

Comment

wow Silviar! you're the Lucky Luke of LFAD, you reply quicker than your shadow : p
        thanks hehehe, it sure does feel great : )
        Don't be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again.
        And meeting again, after moments or lifetime, is certain for those who are friends.
        ~Richard Bach

“Always,” said Snape.

Comment

Thank you Racheal : )

BTW, any idea how long ColorStudio takes to reply to a request? i made mine yesterday evening and still haven't been accepted
          ~Richard Bach

“Always,” said Snape.

Comment

That's so great how you found out a new way of communicating with your SO that is good with your money and with the proper technology needed. Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by ioanna View Post

BTW, any idea how long ColorStudio takes to reply to a request? i made mine yesterday evening and still haven't been accepted
              Thank you so much for trying! The contest is over- I thought they would reply right away once you requested, but that didn't seem to be the case. I really appreciate the effort!

Comment

its too bad you didnt win : ( although in my opinion you dont really need either treatment, your hair looks wonderful and is a lovely frame to your face : )
                ~Richard Bach

“Always,” said Snape.

Comment

My best friend has a blackberry and she was telling me all the cool features it can do. I'm so happy for you!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ioanna View Post
                    its too bad you didnt win : ( although in my opinion you dont really need either treatment, your hair looks wonderful and is a lovely frame to your face : )
                    Thank you dear!

Comment

I totally agree! Blackberry messenger has saved my butt. I love not having to worry about my phone bill going through the roof ^_^
                      This little girl's heart is California bound.

Comment

I truly wish it were unlimited here... Im starting to really take advantage of it we are sharing so so so much more, and actually spend a little time together twice daily ! : D
                        ~Richard Bach

“Always,” said Snape.

Comment

I have no idea what Blackberry is but it sounds awesome! I'm glad you found a solution to "keep track" of each other

Comment

Originally posted by Tanja View Post
                            I have no idea what Blackberry is but it sounds awesome! I'm glad you found a solution to "keep track" of each other
                            BlackBerry is a line of mobile e-mail and smartphone devices developed and designed by Canadian company Research In Motion (RIM) since 1996.
                            BlackBerry functions as a Personal Digital Assistant with address book, calendar and to-do list capabilities. It also functions as a portable media player with support for music and video playback and camera picture and video capabilities. BlackBerry is primarily known for its ability to send and receive (push) Internet e-mail wherever mobile network service coverage is present, or through Wi-Fi connectivity. BlackBerry is mainly a messaging phone with the largest array of messaging features in a Smartphone today. This includes auto-text, auto-correct, text prediction, support for many languages, keyboard shortcuts, text emoticons, push email, push Facebook and Myspace notifications, push Ebay notifications, push instant messaging with BlackBerry Messenger, Google Messenger, ICQ, Windows Live Messenger and Yahoo Messenger; threaded text messaging and a customizable indicator light near the top right of all Blackberry devices. All notifications and conversations from applications are shown in a unified messaging application which third party applications can access also. Many of these applications would have to be running in the background of other phones to be used. BlackBerry's push gives BlackBerry devices their renowned battery life. All data on the phone is compressed through BIS. BlackBerry has about two thirds less data transfer than any other smartphone[2], while supplying the same information.
                            from wiki... yes, i know not a REAL reference, but it works here :P thank you Tanja

just wanted to point that in leb there is no 3G internet so the BlackBerry Internet Service is a great alternative to staying connected without being at your desk..
                            ~Richard Bach

“Always,” said Snape.

Comment

Oooooooh I see! What a cool little thing!

Are they awfully expensive? I wonder if that would be any use to me and Andy...?

Comment

Working...
                              X