Do you cook together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you cook together?

Come! Let us all gather and share recipes together! Cuz everyone knows I'm in need of some...I want to have a collection of recipes for when we finally close the distance and move in together .

I'm seeing my SO Thursday night for his birthday weekend, and then Friday will be the first morning together. We like to cook together, so I know he'd be all for making breakfast/brunch/lunch (depending on when we wake up after Thursday night :P).

My SO will eat just about anything, especially if it's full of flavor . I tend to be the pickier of the two. I guess if it's breakfast I'll go with the typical breakfast foods, and I guess from there on I'm pretty open.

If you and your SO cook together or have done it in the past, what do/did you guys make?! Any ideas would be awesome to share! By the way, cooking together from a distance totally counts!

I guess a good one I can share is Tres Leches! It's a custom hispanic dish and its AMAZING. My SO loves this kind of cake, so we're going to make it together for his birthday . Here's the recipe I used last year to make it for him:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...ipe/index.html

Turned out great!
    Last edited by Yaaamiii; November 4, 2013, 06:15 PM.

We always cook together! Unless he's at university at night and then I have to cook for us by myself.

Here's some of our basics:

Breakfast-
    from scratch pancakes, with fresh strawberry compote
    grits with chives, Parmesan, and corn
    gallo pinto (rice and beans) with tomato and avocado
    bagel with cream cheese, cucumber and tomato
    one-eyed jack (piece of bread with hole cut out and egg cooked in the center)
    omelets with cream cheese and all left over veggies in the fridge

Snacks-
    french fries with tons of toppings (fancy cheese, avocado, tomato, salsa, chives)
    crackers, apples and cheese
    crackers, cured meat, cheese and mustard

Lunch/dinner-
    pasta with pesto
    daal
    curry coconut chickpeas
    garlic bread
    soups
    baked avocado with tuna in the hole
    quiche
    chicken pot pie
    arugula salads

Hope you get some inspiration!

Comment

When we are together we almost always cook together. Though sometimes I will just cook for him. :P I like cooking most but he likes it too. We both follow a vegan diet so these recipes won't have animal products in them but they are still delicious!! I will share some of our favourites that we have made together. There are likely others, but these are some of the main. There are some recipes we make that aren't really recipes and I won't share because they would probably sound weird to outsiders, or they failed when I made them.. but the following are some that I really like that we have made successfully at least once.

Sweet
      Vegan doughnuts - a bit time consuming and turn out really quite sweet, and if you want them sweeter you can dust some icing sugar or put a glaze on them. We even had a piping thing to pipe jam inside, though they turn out a bit messy but delicious. lol
      Cookies (or Biscuits because my boyfriend is British :P ) - fun and sweet and all kinds of recipes everywhere to suit your tastes. Usually my boyfriend and I just make this basic one (If I remember still, it's 3/4 cup vegan margarine, 2/3 cup sugar though we often shy on the less side to avoid putting too much in, some vanilla extract, 1 1/2 cup plain flour, and a teaspoon or two of baking powder.)

Savoury
      Baked Almond Feta - seriously the yummiest thing ever and I wish I could make it again because I haven't made it in so long.. I need to try and buy some ground almonds next time I'm at the store.

Dill pickle dip!! I haven't made it in awhile, and my boyfriend didn't really like pickles but he didn't mind this, though he preferred the baked almond feta and we didn't really make the dill pickle dip together since. But maybe we will try it again. I love dill pickles so it's yummy to me.

Breads
      Light and Fluffy Pull Apart Rolls
      Flour tortillas! There are lots of recipes on the web.. and these are perfect for two people.. my boyfriend make them where he minds the pan and I roll out the dough. :P I can't make them without him!! lol

I'm sorry if none of these are exciting to you. I just love food way too much to pass up this thread!! We don't get to cook as often as we'd like and have been limited in the past due to different things, one being my SO's OCD towards certain new foods and things, but he is getting counseling for his OCD and is starting to feel more daring when it comes to foods so it's a good thing!! I get so excited when I make something for my SO and I'm not sure if he will like it and then he does!!! And I love cooking with him because it makes it more fun. Especially when I first get to the UK and have to work in a strange kitchen, until I warm up to it again. :P

Good luck

Comment

We are both obsessed with food and cooking, we probably spend more time talking about recipes than anything else. When we were together over summer it was my favourite thing getting to go to the food store and cook together (we actually worked very well as a team which considering I'm a complete control freak surprised me!) so it's something I'm sure we'll do more of in the future.

At the moment due health reasons I've cut out dairy and wheat from my diet so it means I'm having to be even more creative with what I cook.

However as it's bonfire night here in the UK, a tradition is 'Parkin' so I'll share what I'm going to make today after work.....

Parkin Cake

Which should look like this....

It's a really dark moist syrupy cake and I'm intrigued as to how the gluten-free version works.

Comment

We usually just eat rotisserie chicken tenders, rice with some montreal chicken seasoning and some salad.

But sometimes I cook him a polish dish and he loves it - it's sweet! Very easy to make and delicious if you're craving something sweet
          https://easteuropeanfood.about.com/o...azypierogi.htm

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
          First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
          Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
          Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
          Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
          Married: 1/24/2015
          Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Hey these ideas are great!! Thanks guys!
            I also tried this idea I saw on Pinterest this morning jaja. Turned out good, I liked it.
            https://allrecipes.com/recipe/individual-baked-eggs/

Except I used lean turkey instead of bacon :P. But hey, I'm totally open to vegan/vegetarian/glutten free foods!

Comment

My SO can't cook but he can cut veggies and pour my wine like a champ!

I've made him a few things: Risotto, Fried chicken with parsnips and roasted potatoes, rosemary chicken, honey and jerk chicken. We like chicken. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by squeeker View Post

Savoury
                Baked Almond Feta - seriously the yummiest thing ever and I wish I could make it again because I haven't made it in so long.. I need to try and buy some ground almonds next time I'm at the store.
                That 'cheese' looks seriously interesting, I've missed cheese since I gave up Dairy so I have pinned is as I am going to give it a go

Comment

My SO's idea of cooking is to fry beef in bacon fat, so when we're together I take over the kitchen and he tends to stay out of the way! He does like to watch me work, so he'll "help" by getting his guitar out and singing while I'm cooking. He wants our future home to have a spot for his to sit while I'm cooking, which I think is adorable.

I make a lot of hearty food for him because he works outside all day, so pasta and chili are staples. If I can trick him into eating vegetables, that's a victory on my part!
                  London girl, American cowboy. "Like a western Dirty Dancing."

Comment

My SO tries, he really does, but I'm definitely the cook! I still have flashbacks of trying to teach him how to make an omelet over skype back when we were LD, and my dad walked in on me just as my SO's fire alarm went off... Kills me every time! My SO is like a human trash can though- loves all my cooking, and I enjoy to cook so its a win win!

For breakfast I'll sometimes make English Style pancakes, some filled with Golden Syrup, some with lemon and sugar. I have trained him how to make perfect soft-boiled eggs and soldiers, which is awesome!

Dinners- I make allsorts- I like to shop the sales so it depends whats on offer. Some basics are Chicken pot pie, Yorkshire puddings with sausages, Pasta salad, all sorts of different soups, chilli, black bean quesedillas, curry...

My most recent success was a slow-cooked pork loin. I don't really have a recipe, just one pork loin, season, cut slices into it and place apple slices in the cuts. Pour some spicey BBQ sauce on top and add 1/2 cup apple cider. Cook on low for at least 6 hours. Its sooooo good with mashed potatoes and veggies on the side I love my slow cooker, and I bet I'll love it more when I'm back in school and can't be bothered to cook for us when I get home lol

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
                    <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
                    The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
                    <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
                    <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
                    Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
                    Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Gosh, Nicole, that pork sounds totally amazing!!
                      London girl, American cowboy. "Like a western Dirty Dancing."

Comment

My SO is a chef and I didn't really like cooking, until I met her. Now I look forward to cooking together. It's actually one of my favorite things to do with her. We always bake something and cook meals when I visit her. She's also helped me build my confidence in the kitchen, which feels awesome!

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
                        Married April 18th, 2015!!
                        Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

Originally posted by nicole View Post

Yorkshire puddings with sausages
                          I converted my SO to the wonders of Toad in the Hole over the Summer, I even sent him his own Yorkshire Pudding tin as he's a bit addicted!

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
                            I converted my SO to the wonders of Toad in the Hole over the Summer, I even sent him his own Yorkshire Pudding tin as he's a bit addicted!
                            My SO's face lights up every time I say I'm making them! When we have them he always thanks me for being English XD

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
                            <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
                            The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
                            <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
                            <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
                            Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
                            Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

My SO loves to make roast dinners with some supervision from my side (he never knew his way around the kitchen until I introduced him to how fun it is) and whenever I'm at his place there is this demand for cinnamon buns
                              https://www.ultimat.nu/wp-content/up...r-1024x768.jpg

Luckily he's started to learn how to make them too, because last time we made 83 of them... Lucky I have baking in the family I guess

Other than that my SO loves my Swiss meatloaf, simplified Goulash soup, filled breads, gravlax, quick pickled red onion, my different 'boxes', karjalanpiirakka, pizzas... Though he has taken over the pizza production (he discovered smoked salmon on pizza... SOOOO delicious o.O )... The list goes on
                              We part only to meet again ~ J.Gay

Comment

Working...
                              X