List of advice for the guys from a girl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

List of advice for the guys from a girl

My advice is from a girl, so I think it might help the guys most. However, it would work for anyone else. Could we all add to it?

This came about as I was feeling so sorry for myself this morning. My SO is on a trip and unable to communicate with me for a while, and I was feeling so depressed. I was thinking of ideas of how we all can try to make our loved ones feel better while apart. We can do these things anytime during the distance, but it would especially help during times we are busy and can't text, call, or Skype.

Guys, we girls are made differently than you. We like words. We need words. We live by words. Most of us, anyway. We realize you don't work that way. What takes us a whole page to say, you can say in five words or less. Please try to understand we can't help how we are made. If you want to show your love, reassure us, or make our hearts smile, we need to hear or read it.

Of course, I'm worse on the words deal, because my love language is words of affirmation.

I'm going to start of a list of ideas, but it would be great for all to add to it. Guys, you can add things you've done for your girl that worked well, that she really appreciated. Girls, let's tell the guys what makes us feel good.

1. If you can't be in touch, send an ecard. The ecard sites I use have a way to set the date you want the ecard sent. I'd love to an ecard everyday he's gone.
    https://www.egreetings.com/
    https://www.123greetings.com/love/
    2. Send an envelope of sealed love notes with dates written on them for when to open. They don't have to be long notes. My SO is going to be gone for a week; oh, what I'd give if I had a note from him to open each day he's gone.
    3. If you have the money, send flowers during the time you can't be in touch. Just say on the card how much you miss your special someone.
    4. Agree that you both will work on something together while apart, say a simple journal. When you can, switch journals. When you send your SO your journal, she will enjoy reading it and knowing you were thinking of her. It would mean a lot that you were willing to take the time to keep it. Each note could be small, but meaningful. "I am thinking of you and missing" is great.

5. This is a complete generalisation, but we girls are very detail-oriented. Sometimes the littlest things can upset us; please understand that.
    6. We like men with manners.
    7. We are more than just objects.
    8. It's okay to cry!!! Let us know about your feelings. It's better than being 'manly' and holding your emotions in.

Comment

I'm pretty sure men like women with manners and men are more than objects, too

Also that guys who read this should bear in mind this isn't a "this is what all women love" thing. I don't like receiving flowers, nor would I be interested in keeping a journal. Nothing against those who do but all women are different.
      So, here you are
      too foreign for home
      too foreign for here.
      Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

DO NOT adjust your private parts while there is a girl nearby - it is just .... not cool (I know it is not anything how to make the other one feel better, but it would be my advice however)

Comment

I Actually think it is refreshing that many guys are not afraid to touch their own bodies...

I too think that girls tend to be more detail-oriented. Guys tend to think simpler. However generalisations are just that. Every girl is different - and guys too . In my experience both girls and guys like to be shown that they are special. Love languages is part of what is useful to explore about your SO. Knowing about their past and their dreams for the future is another.

One thing about guys i find puzzling about guys is their pride.
          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I never have liked getting flowers either, but now that my honey is gone for a week I'd love to get something from him! It would be nice to know he thought about planning ahead before leaving on his trip. It's not about the flowers, but the thought. It's simply something he could have ordered to be delivered while he was gone on his cruise.

Comment

Great ideas [deleted]. Thanks.

Comment

You're most welcome!

Ditching the numbers...don't even know what number we're on ^^;

To guys:

You know how you say that women are confusing? Well men can be fucking confusing too. Being mean to a girl is not how you get her to like you. Also, vague actions will just confuse girls. Be clear (not necessarily blunt); women will appreciate you for it.

Always break up to our faces. Don't be a middle schooler and get someone else to do it for you. And if possible, do it in person and not over text or whatever.

Don't be a complete slob about your appearance! Don't think that you get automatic leeway for being male. (Well, you kind of do). But don't show up everyday with your hair looking like Goku (unless that's the style you're going for, I guess...) or stains on your shirt.

Comment

Oh stains are awful! Also, lurking around a girl forever, not asking her out but still think it is pushy if she takes initiative. And if you are crap in bed and not interested in learning, there would not be any more invites.
                  I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                  - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Yeah and don't snap girl's bra straps. Or put frogs in their hair.

Comment

Here's my advice, men: Don't take into account generalizations. Treat women as individual human beings.
                      I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by TwoThree View Post
                        Here's my advice, men: Don't take into account generalizations. Treat women as individual human beings.
                        yes, please.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoThree View Post
                          Indeed!

The only problem with lists like these is that they're completely tailored to who's writing them! For example, they wouldn't apply to my SO (he's not a "slob," is open about his feelings, is very communicative, does sweet things for me, etc.). Some apply to a friend's of mine SO, but she doesn't mind the fact he doesn't dress up and is too "manly" to cry. In fact, she and another someone I know have openly admitted that they wouldn't be with a man who cried in front of them. I'm not saying that men should automatically hide their feelings, but in the same line, they shouldn't become emotional messes simply because some people think all women like a man who cries; on a similar train of thought, women shouldn't use being women as an excuse to be moody and emotional (and this comes from an emotional person!).

If y'all want a blanket statement piece of advice for men, mine would be the silly, cliche, but ever so true, be yourself. Being authentic is going to get you a lot farther in life than any list on what women supposedly want.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePiedPiper View Post
                            Indeed!

The only problem with lists like these is that they're completely tailored to who's writing them! For example, they wouldn't apply to my SO (he's not a "slob," is open about his feelings, is very communicative, does sweet things for me, etc.). Some apply to a friend's of mine SO, but she doesn't mind the fact he doesn't dress up and is too "manly" to cry. In fact, she and another someone I know have openly admitted that they wouldn't be with a man who cried in front of them. I'm not saying that men should automatically hide their feelings, but in the same line, they shouldn't become emotional messes simply because some people think all women like a man who cries; on a similar train of thought, women shouldn't use being women as an excuse to be moody and emotional (and this comes from an emotional person!).

If y'all want a blanket statement piece of advice for men, mine would be the silly, cliche, but ever so true, be yourself. Being authentic is going to get you a lot farther in life than any list on what women supposedly want.
                            All of this.

♥ In 666 Ways I Love You & My Heaven Is Wherever You Are. I'm For You. ♥

We Met: June 9,2010
                            Back Together: August 1,2012
                            First Visit: September 21,2012 - September 29,2012
                            Second Visit: January 13,2013 - February 24,2013
                            Engaged: January 17,2013
                            Closed The Distance-MS - AZ: June 15th,2013
                            Moved To FL Together: November 14,2013
                            We Got Married! - July 3,2014
                            SO Graduated College - August 7,2015
                            Moved to Ky - August 10, 2015

Comment

Working...