The movie Her

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The movie Her

Did any of you see the movie "Her" (2013)?

I just saw it mentioned in the newspaper and checked out the trailer. It looks really good and original - a man falling in love with his operative system - and I was wondering if any of you have seen it, and maybe have some thoughts about it beeing a little similar to being in an LDR? For sure I feel sometimes I am in love with some kind of machine... and I see my SO fairly often! But most our days is his texts and his voice (and face), similar to the movie... And the wodering of how to be able to touch each other, I was thinking of some of you guys here who have not yet met your SO's in the flesh (and sometimes it is so long for me too, I feel I have almost forgotten what it felt like). Anyway I want to see it - it got an Oscar for best original script, too.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1798709/

Storyline
    Theodore is a lonely man in the final stages of his divorce. When he's not working as a letter writer, his down time is spent playing video games and occasionally hanging out with friends. He decides to purchase the new OS1, which is advertised as the world's first artificially intelligent operating system, "It's not just an operating system, it's a consciousness," the ad states. Theodore quickly finds himself drawn in with Samantha, the voice behind his OS1. As they start spending time together they grow closer and closer and eventually find themselves in love. Having fallen in love with his OS, Theodore finds himself dealing with feelings of both great joy and doubt. As an OS, Samantha has powerful intelligence that she uses to help Theodore in ways others hadn't, but how does she help him deal with his inner conflict of being in love with an OS?
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Looll my boyfriend watched that before I did, then he watched it again with me. He cried when he watched it LOL (watta cutie)
    I thought it was okay but what I really loved was the song in it. The Moon Song by Karen O! It's really sweet and it's kind of our song now xD
    And yes it did have a lot of similarities about being in an LDR where you haven't met your SO in the flesh so I kinda liked it but I didn't really cry when I watched it- I kinda got a little mad at the operating system at the end. I don't wanna say any spoilers though

Comment

I could see how this would be like an LDR, but I've not seen it. TooFarAway has me wanting to see it, though.

Comment

I watched it and really liked it, the storyline is exceptional. And I had exactly the same thoughts about similarities with long distance relationship. I haven't met my SO in person, so for me, he also doesn't have a body, like some "spiritual" being. He consists (in a way ) of pictures, words and voice and yet I've managed to fall in love. So this movie also made me think what is this most important thing that we love in another person, what makes really strong emotional bond. The distance, the "reality" of partner seem irrelevant when there is emotional closeness.

Comment

I liked most of it and also saw the similarities with been in an LDR. But I thought it was a little too long/streched, so I wouldn't watch it again. And there were parts at the end I didn't like. The music was great though

Comment

MY SO and I loved this movie. We spent an hour afterward discussing the different parts of the relationship in this movie and how it could apply to real life relationships. We decided it was a beautiful love story. It was great for us with the discussion alone.

Comment

I liked everything about it except the ending.

Comment

Yes! I really love the story line! Should watch the parody one! It's hilarious! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQi-5IAKm2A
                Jon Lawrence: I love you because you are succesful, intelligent, have a great nerdy personality.
                Jon Lawrence: Love me for all my faults
                Jon Lawrence: You have a good head on your head.
                Jon Lawrence: and you are FUCKING AMAZING LOOKING!

sigpic

Comment

I was really planning on seeing that movie because I thought it was about a LDR and he didn't meet the girl until the end or something, but now that I learned it's not really about a LDR, I don't really plan on watching it.

Comment

The cinematography and music were the best parts for me. The story is original and well done, I thought. And the ending was great. I thought their love story was off from the start, not because she was an OS but because she was basically the *perfect woman* - always ready to serve, always available, always into everything he was into. He loved the fact he was the centre of her universe. And it's all very human but it's not a good foundation for a relationship at all. His ex wife was dead-on when she said he couldn't handle a human woman. When his OS lover developed more personality, it was more than he could handle. He had to learn from that.

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

Working...
                    X