Idea #83, the personalized font

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idea #83, the personalized font

ETA: I fail! It's #83! Gah! Anyway, the link is Your Fonts!

I thought this looked pretty neat, so I used the link suggested, and ordered a font package for both Rane & myself.

We did it, didn't take long at all, got our fonts instantly, exchanged, installed both onto our computers, and added them as our default chat fonts. Here is a peek at how it looks in my ichat window:

It is sooooo neat to see his handwriting as he types. It makes it feel a million times more personal. We skipped some of the accent characters we don't really use, and added our own smileys too. I also did a little coffee cup, and some hearts... it came out so neat. I can't recommend this highly enough. Especially if you spend a lot of time on instant messenger. Or emailing! I LOVE getting an email where he is using his font. Feels that much closer to really coming from him, and not just pixels on a screen.

Anyways, just wanted to share that in case anyone else was considering it. Don't hesitate!

(Michelle: I edited the name of the post, so it says 83 now! :P )
    Last edited by Michelle; February 3, 2010, 05:02 PM.

Awwwww I love this idea! Where's the link you used? Could you post it in here?

Comment

What a fantastic idea!

I'm sure this will be a big hit
      In a relationship with

Read mine & Tanja's story here!

My Albums:
      Summer 2009 / Xmas 2009
      Summer 2010: Part 1 & Part 2
      My dog Sam ♥

Comment

Oooh my bad! I thought it was from #25, I guess it wasn't. Sorry!! The site we used was Your Fonts.

Comment

Garnet, I really like how your instant messenger looks. What do you use? Frank and I use gmail so we can't use our own fonts since they run from our browsers and not on our computers. But I'm glad you like that idea on our list! I thought that was really neat when Charlotte contacted me and said that she used it on her instant messenger as well. It is such a good every day use for custom fonts.
          Read my LDR story!
          Facebook
          Instagram

Comment

oh and I also wanted to ask if I could use your picture on the things to do list so people can see a good example! Would that be okay?
            Read my LDR story!
            Facebook
            Instagram

Comment

Rane and I use iChat, the default messenger on a Mac. It uses AIM. I loves it!

You can certainly use the image, although if you would like, sometime tonight I can get a new one where you can see smilies and such, since I thought that was one of our better ideas!

Comment

That would be great!
                Read my LDR story!
                Facebook
                Instagram

Comment

thats so cool!! how much does it cost? (i would check out the site but its blocked atm)

Comment

When Frank and I made our fonts, it was still in beta and it was free. It was actually called FontCapture, but they have changed the name to YourFonts. I know a lot of members got the chance to do it when it was free.

I looked up how much it costs on their site, it was on their "Help" page:

"...a font costs just $9.95 plus $5.00 if you upload both template pages. So you can have a font with more than 200 characters for just $14.95. Pay for your font through PayPal and download it instantly. You will also receive a confirmation email that contains your font."

Today I decided to join their affiliate program, which happens to be really generous, so whatever you pay by clicking on a link here on the forum or on our main site, our website will get 40%. So if you pay $9.95, LFAD gets $3.98 of that. So think of it like you're helping LFAD out at the same time! We still have to make more to cover not just what we paid when we made this new member area ($300+) but as well as the monthly bills for the site (hosting, formspring, mailchimp, etc..) So every bit helps!
                    Read my LDR story!
                    Facebook
                    Instagram

Comment

This is a really great idea. I love it! Thanks for sharing with us!

Comment

...I wish I did it during the Beta period. Holy Cow.

Comment

I didn't even know they started to charge until garnet posted. But at least the price is not outrageous. If you're going to use it for instant messaging on a daily basis it can be worth it.
                          Read my LDR story!
                          Facebook
                          Instagram

Comment

I wish I did it during the Beta period too (was going to but totally forgot about it :P) but at least we'd be supporting LFAD by getting our handwriting fonts . I am so going to do this and get Kyle to do it and order it for both of us when I next get paid. There are other uses for the font too, I have attached images I've made in MS Paint of me writing things for Kyle with the drawing function but using my own handwriting font would be much easier and better! . Would also be good for making captions and such for photos as well. I'm in the process of making Kyle something that I was going to use a normal font for but I think I might use my handwriting font once I get it to make it even more personal .

Personalised handwriting fonts really are a wonderful idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle View Post
                              I didn't even know they started to charge until garnet posted. But at least the price is not outrageous. If you're going to use it for instant messaging on a daily basis it can be worth it.
                              Yeah... I'm REALLY broke, but squeezed this out, and it has been more than worth it. I can't imagine going back to ariel or comic sans for our IMs now, and when Rane decides to email with his font, I just love it. The smilies are especially special for us. I will get the new picture up sometime tonight. He just got off work so chatting begins soon lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X