arty/crafty people, I need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

arty/crafty people, I need help!

Sooooo I have been sat all afternoon trying to complete my present for mine and my SO's 1 year anniversary, and thank goodness I have started early, because I suck! We promised only small gifts, because we are paying to go to Ireland for a few days when he comes to visit, and I stumbled upon this:

It is a mechanism for a music box, and it plays "I wanna hold your Hand" by The Beatles. I thought it was a genius idea, because he LOVES the Beatles and it's one of "our" songs. However I have now hit a brick wall. I have not one creative bone in my body. I have managed to make a small box like this:

But now I don't know what to do! I've tried covering it with paper, (Like wrapping it up like a present) but it didn't work, and I've tried cutting out the individual sides and sticking them on, but it looks incredibly messy. I was thinking of covering it in paper, then cut out some photos and stick those on top... but I can't figure out how to do it! does anyone have any ideas?

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
    <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
    The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
    <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
    <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
    Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
    Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Maybe you could make a music box? In Canada the dollar stores sell wooden boxes that you could paint or decorate after. or maybe even get an old shoebox and decorate it, that way you could cut a hold in it for the handle of the music box.
    sry, thats all i can come up with, good luck!!

Comment

If you could get some coloured thin card, measure the shape of the box, then draw a net so you can just fold it around the box, and then stick the flaps together. This should make it look neater than cutting out all the sides seperately. I think this is a great idea for a present =) I hope this idea might help to make it easier to decorate.

Comment

I think a ready-made box would work great and look much neater, whether it is a wooden box or one made from cardboard, it would just be a matter of making a suitable hole for the handle to stick out from. Sticking photos on it is a wonderful idea, it would make it even more personal. You could use something like Mod Podge (or something similar) to decoupage the photos onto the box.

This is such an awesome idea for a gift. Be sure to post photos of the finished product, I'd love to see it!

Comment

Working...
        X