Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learning a new language, any free resources?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning a new language, any free resources?

Rane and I decided that since we quit WoW (where we met), we would use some of the last of our long distance time doing something productive, and came up with learning a language together.

It would make more sense for us to learn Spanish, since we will be living in Kansas and it's widely spoken here (the signs at my retail job are in English and Spanish both)... but the thing is, we would both rather learn French. I really enjoyed it in school (though I didn't retain much), and Rane, being Canadian I guess (haha) has always wanted to learn too. So thats what we're going with.

So just wondering if anyone knows of any good online resources? Free is best! I think we both have a very minor grasp on the basics, but starting from scratch would be good.

I'm not sure how good the courses are, but I found this link that may be worth looking at- #64 on the list of things to do together in an LDR.

https://www.guidetoonlineschools.com...es-linguistics

I suppose some of them you may need some supplies such as a text book, but I'm sure used copies can be found for a reasonable price. There's likely to be video of the class time linked either on the course site, or on YouTube or ITunes.

Comment

Well, just to let you know, there is this flashcards site, which is useful for learning new words (https://www.french-flashcards.com/). I would also recommend looking around for language specific material and setting aside regular time to study/revise and test each other. Try to focus on speaking, but don't leave grammar or writing out of it! Another idea is watching or listening to stuff in the language. Maybe even together. See if you're really serious about it in acquiring some books, some that specifically tackle grammar and have also have workbooks. And cd's to listen to. Mm.. just look around, I guess and really set aside regular times. That's one of the most important things to keep in mind.

Good luck and have fun!

Have a nice day,

San.
      Adia, you're on my mind and in my heart...

Comment

This is also a nice site to study the basic phrases and the verbs and adjectives of the language etc. We've gone through it a little and the pronounciations are pretty well demonstrated, well in Finnish anyway lol.

101Languages/French

Comment

it is really nice that you guys are thinkign of learning new languages : ) i am native in 3 and fluent in one : p
          theres an online website that i like alot, its livemocha.com and i find it very helpfull, plus its free... only troubble is there wasnt much there for the language i want to learn... but popular languages are extensively present. plus you also have audio exercices, which i find super important : )
          hope it will be useful to you : )
          Don't be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again.
          And meeting again, after moments or lifetime, is certain for those who are friends.
          ~Richard Bach

“Always,” said Snape.

Comment

Originally posted by ioanna View Post
            it is really nice that you guys are thinkign of learning new languages : ) i am native in 3 and fluent in one : p
            theres an online website that i like alot, its livemocha.com and i find it very helpfull, plus its free... only troubble is there wasnt much there for the language i want to learn... but popular languages are extensively present. plus you also have audio exercices, which i find super important : )
            hope it will be useful to you : )
            When I read this thread I was going to suggest https://www.livemocha.com/ too! I have visited it before because I wanted to learn my mother's language, Tagalog, but like you said, unfortunately they don't have much for less popular languages. You should have no problem finding help with learning spanish though!
            Read my LDR story!
            Facebook
            Instagram

Comment

I have always wanted to learn a new language with Michelle. But, of course, it is a time thing. I think it is a good idea to learn a new language, in general, BUT learning with your SO allows you to discuss and practice with each other.

I wonder if your local library has something? Text books or those "Learn French while driving" cds...

As a side not, everyone always says that once you learn French, Spanish is easier to learn. So maybe learn French now, because you want to, and will be more apt to stick with it.
              Last edited by Frank; February 6, 2010, 09:46 PM.

Comment

This site gives free translations in many languages, but it has a great resource are, it even includes a romantic phrases part https://www.freetranslation.com

Comment

Thank you for posting LiveMocha on the forum!
                  I've been trying to pick up a few Greek phrases from George, but, thanks to this site, maybe I'll actually learn them and not forget them.

It would be a cute present to learn a few phrases more fluently.

Comment

if anyone needs any help with languages, im fluent in french, english, arabic and i speak greek like a 12 year old : p so just drop me a line : )
                    Don't be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again.
                    And meeting again, after moments or lifetime, is certain for those who are friends.
                    ~Richard Bach

“Always,” said Snape.

Comment

I definitely second the livemocha idea! I've used it for portuguese and it's been very helpful. Also check out wordreference.com, a dictionary. It's GREAT for translating single words or simple phrases, and has forums to ask questions. I wrote a post on my blog about learning languages (specifically portugeuse but there are general parts too), so feel free to check it out girl meet brazilian boy- languages

Comment

Thank you guys so much for all the sites and tips!

Comment

Working...
                        X