What type of food should I mail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What type of food should I mail?

Ok I'm tired of sending sweets. It's all I ever send. Cookies, cakes, candy, etc. I also send him local stuff, mostly seasoning (Tony's which is red pepper and stuff, and some Louisiana Hot Sauce). I've sent him boxed food, also local faves (red beans & rice, jambalaya, etc) What else can I send?! Anyone send things other than baked goods?

Especially now. He does not cook! AT ALL! I think Hamburger Helper and the other boxed foods was pushing it. He called to ask how to boil noodles once (it was too cute). But he normally just picks up fast food or stuff from the frozen food section. He's run into some transportation problems and will have to get rides from friends, so he won't be able to just hop in the truck and run to Burger King. I wish I was there to cook for him, but I'm not. I can't really cook any of the stuff I do and mail it to him. Do any of you know of stuff, food/meals, I can mail him??

LoL he sounds like my SO. The man can't cook to save his life. He told me he wanted to make me dinner on one of our visits because I always cook for him. He made hamburger Helper and it was pretty terrible! LoL! He also does the fast food ALL the TIME. I don't really know what kind of foods you can mail but I would guess sauces, soups, or anything that can be stored in a jar to be kept fresh? Not too sure tho!

Comment

I assume your in Louisiana than. I recently just flew to see my boyfriend during Mardi Gras break and I brought a big bag of Zapp's with me. He practically devoured the bag so I'm sending him some more soon. I know it's not a meal but it's a tasty snack!

Comment

I know you said something other than baked goods, but what about homemade bread? It's not sweets, and makes for great sandwiches!

Homemade pancake mix? Just the dry stuff. He can add the wet stuff (water, egg, oil) on his own as long as you tell him how much. Could even send measuring cups/spoons with the mix.

The only other thing I could think of would be to put together a few very simple recipes with just a few ingredients- he can make pasta now afterall. Simplify things by attaching a shopping list for the recipe, and again sending measuring cups/spoons if he doesn't have those.

Comment

You could send him dehydrated foods. Things like Cup 'O Noodles, freeze dried fruits and vegetables (bananas, strawberres, mangos, peas, carrots, ect.), dehydrated ice cream sandwhiches, freeze dried cheese, jerky meats - all of these can be easily sent through mail. I really liked Seshei's idea about homemade mixes, though. Then it adds a touch of love. ;3 Although if Hamburger Helper is pushing it then this might be a little harder...

Comment

I send my SO homemade muffins, scones, biscuits, bread (he usually doesn't have a ton of time for breakfast so he loves getting those things). I've also made trail mix and homemade energy bars that he has shared with friends and some of them from his last duty station liked those so much they gave me their addresses asking if I would send them some. Another thing I've done for my SO is put all the dry ingredients for homemade pancakes in a jar (sometimes I'll even throw in chocolate chips) and then attach a card with the wet ingredients listed and pictures of what each of the steps looks like (he's just starting to cook for himself, he learned to make scrambled eggs by watching a youtube video haha)

Comment

When we first starting dating I sent him an entire grocery list, along with a note pad and pens. Know how many times it was used.....ZERO!! lol I thought about the bread thing, we have a Great Harvest in the area. They sell fresh baked bread which I've heard is really good. I like the idea of putting together as much of the recipe as I can. I might send him some pasta stuff. IDK that last package (a few boxed meals and candy) was a little high....$14 shipping, most I've ever paid I think!

Originally posted by ErinKristine View Post
              I send my SO homemade muffins, scones, biscuits, bread (he usually doesn't have a ton of time for breakfast so he loves getting those things). I've also made trail mix and homemade energy bars that he has shared with friends and some of them from his last duty station liked those so much they gave me their addresses asking if I would send them some. Another thing I've done for my SO is put all the dry ingredients for homemade pancakes in a jar (sometimes I'll even throw in chocolate chips) and then attach a card with the wet ingredients listed and pictures of what each of the steps looks like (he's just starting to cook for himself, he learned to make scrambled eggs by watching a youtube video haha)
              YouTube and scrambled eggs!!! Our poor little guys!! lol I like the idea of pictures of each step, should have figured that one I'm going to teach Pre-K to 3rd ahhaha!!

Thanks girls! I'll try some of this in the next package!!

Comment

Originally posted by RLodes View Post
                I assume your in Louisiana than. I recently just flew to see my boyfriend during Mardi Gras break and I brought a big bag of Zapp's with me. He practically devoured the bag so I'm sending him some more soon. I know it's not a meal but it's a tasty snack!
                Yes mam! From Louisiana. So is he so I'm sure he'd appreciate Zapps! I actually was suppose to try to put together a package for his best friend...he's in Iraq and I was going to include Zapp's and try to get a bunch of those little travel baggies of Tony's!

Comment

Originally posted by BJL_Sweetheart1109 View Post
                  IDK that last package (a few boxed meals and candy) was a little high....$14 shipping, most I've ever paid I think!

YouTube and scrambled eggs!!! Our poor little guys!! lol I like the idea of pictures of each step, should have figured that one I'm going to teach Pre-K to 3rd ahhaha!!
                  Do you use the flat rate boxes from usps, those are a life saver for me. A large box is mailed for $14.50 and it can weigh up to 70lbs. There are medium and small boxes too. Sometimes it is cheaper just using regular boxes, but other times when I send packages with lots of stuff the flat rate is awesome.

I got ideas for pictures because I do teach pre-k haha!

Comment

Well it was suppose to be a flat rate box, it was all white and had the USPS thingy like the flat rate boxes, but I was sure confused when it wound up being 14.50 for the package. SO IDK!

Comment

That's happened to me before, the priority mail boxes look just like the flat rate ones. The flat rate boxes say "Large flat rate box," "medium flat rate box," etc. I sent my SO a halloween package thinking it was a flat rate box so his mom and I packed that thing to the top, I could barely lift it and when I got to the post office it came to be something outrageous like $25 (maybe more). When I got boxes from the post office, I accidentally grabbed the wrong kind, they really need to make the words flat rate a lot bigger because I know a lot of people who have made that mistake.

Comment

You could always make pasta sauces and send him jars of it. All he'll need to do is cook the pasta, heat up the sauce and BAM, healthy meal! If you want you could also make him jams to put on toast for breakfast, or in a sandwich for lunch/snacks.

Comment

Working...
                        X