Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scrap skype, do googlemail webcam!!!!

Hiya

just to let you all know (sorry if this is in the wrong section), google mail webcam is oh so very much better than skype!!
    My SO is 216 miles away. on skype, its almost as if he is on the other side of the world: the image is pixelated, the sound is messed up, reaction time is aweful.
    Googlemail, its like he is in the other room. The sound speed is so much better (we have listened to music together because of how great it is), and we can see each other clear as day, which helps when you just want to see their face for abit.

Just wanted to share it with you! googlemail is the way forward! lol.
    Much love

Hm, I'll have to check it out, because I've become annoyed with the image being pixelated on Skype, also. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Good to know! I discovered ooVoo recently, it's a good option for those who don't like skype. Does googlemail have an auto-accept for calls?
      Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

not that i know of, no. i got pretty upset with skype just a couple of days ago because of how pixelated it was (that plus missing him isnt a good mix!) so ive only just got it. i think you have to accept the call. x

Comment

My SO and I are HUGE Google fans, use every one of their services. We never got Skype working well (due likely to it being quite resource heavy and her machine not dealing with it well). Using Google Talk for chat and video in either GMail or, more recently, Google+ (which also features group video chat called hangouts for up to 10 people that I'd love to try out with her friends some time) is the way we've done webcam all along. We did try OoVoo but we like to be able to go properly full screen, which GTalk does perfectly, and OoVoo makes a bit more restrictive. Also we both like to hide our own webcam so we only see the other person, which is so easy in GTalk

Comment

I second the question someone had about if Google allows you to automatically accept videocalls from someone if you're not in the room. Me and my SO like to keep ourselves logged in and we also watch each other sleep on it, and having the option for us to videocall each other without having to wait for approval from the other person is a must. Skype has been mostly good, but the newer versions are more buggy and they no longer have the cute games on there which we loved. Also, the option to pop-out while web browsing together is more limited. On older versions of Skype we could pop out the chat window and still see each other while web surfing together. You could adjust the size of that pop-out window to any size you wanted, and now it's this super-tiny pop-out window that you can't adjust the size of, which both of us find annoying. Also, Skype frequently kicks us offline so we have to re-login. We've tried a lot of messengers and found that the video and sound quality on most of them is very bad, so we've stuck with Skype mostly for the option to auto-accept videocalls and because you can use it to call land and mobile phones for cheap, and because the quality (for us) has mostly been good in the sound and video department.

Comment

My SO is 300-400 miles away. We tried using the cam on Yahoo Messenger, and while the video is usually okay, there's no sound. We've never been able to figure out how to get sound to work on there. So then we tried Skype. The picture was meh...would start out okay then become pixelated. I don't remember if sound worked or not. Then we tried Gmail video and it's bee the best we've used! The picture is usually fine and the sound works great! Now I just have to get a webcam so he can see and hear me, lol.

Comment

I use it everytime I chat with my SO.
                He is in California and I'm in Buenos Aires (Argentina) , 11000km, definitely the other side of the world, and the image and sound is great.
                Not pixelated images at all!

Try it!

Comment

I've tried it once with my SO but it did not work at all, it was very slow and kept breaking up. I think it's more suitable for fast connections whereas Skype works pretty well even though my internet is crappy.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I'll try it

Comment

Thanks for the info, we both have gmail accounts so we'll need to try google-chat.. The connection on Skype sometimes can be horrible and lags like crazy...

Comment

My SO and I only use google video. We had the same problem with the pixels. :/ It made us so sad/frustrated because we were talking to blurs. It didn't help us connect at all. I don't remember which one of us had the idea to get on google video, but it was SOOOO much better. We were both so happy because neither of us were blurry pixels anymore =).

Comment

Thank you for this awesome suggestion! We were skyping and had the same issues as the other posters here: pixelated, broken audio, lagging, etc and for some reason, mostly at my end of things. He would see/hear me ok and I would be all "what? what?" and now today, we switched to google chat and presto-change-o...it's wonderful.

So thank you!! xo

all the best,
                          lucie

Comment

Working...
                          X