What can I pack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can I pack?

I'm on the east coast of the USA flying to engand. I would like to take some apple cider home with me for friends and family. I know I cant take it as hand luggage becuase of the liquids ban. Am I allowed to pack it in my suitcase? I know there are issues with taking fresh fruit and veg, meats etc. But this will basically be bottled juice. Im also worried about it breaking or bursting lol, but I was planning on maybe putting it in a vaccuum bag...

Also, what about preserves? Same question :P
    Si tu n'etais pas la
    Comment pourrais-je vivre
    Je ne connaitrais pas
    Ce bonheur qui m'enivre
    Quand je suis dans tes bras
    Mon coeur joyeux se livre
    Si tu n'etais pas la

Love that will not betray you, dismay or enslave you. It will set you free.
    Home could be anywhere when I am holding you

"DONT RUIN MY DREAM OF MINITURE HIPPOS"

Well I'd say I'm pretty knowledgeable based on watching Nothing to Declare; the show about uk customs many times. I think as long as it is legit packaging it is okay, so no homemade preserves that are in reused jars and such. I've brought bottled beer on flights in my checked wrapped in sweaters and they never broke. Just make sure you declare EVERYTHING, thats the main reason people get in trouble is because they leave it out hoping they won't get caught with it. If its declared and you can't have it then I think they just take it away from you instead of giving you a fine.

If you google "uk border control food" the forth link down is everything you need to know, but its a PDF so I can't give you the link cause it just downloads.

Comment

You should be able to get it in a plastic bottle, but i would still be worried about it.... can you mail it over before you go?

Comment

Meh it'll be fine!! I bring stuff in and out of the States all the time with no problem. Juice is okay, I think they get nervous when you have a plant or something. With preserves you'll be fine too.

I never declare anything, but entering into Costa Rica there's not even anyone who looks at your bag... so it's easier to be *sneaky*

Comment

Ok, I have a jar of "pumpkin butter" its like a preserve not actual butter though, and a jar of apple preserve. Buttttt from the same stall I also bought some homemade sugar cookies. They're not in plastic, just a card board box :/ 1) Do you think they'll last until xmas? (as a present for my SO's parents) 2) Baked goods should be fine right? I'll declare everything when I go through customs just to be safe. I'm sure the worst thing they can do is take them off me... Its not like I did it on purpose.
          Si tu n'etais pas la
          Je ne connaitrais pas
          Ce bonheur qui m'enivre
          Si tu n'etais pas la

Comment

Baked goods should be fine... if you keep the cookies in the freezer until your trip, they should keep well.

As for bottled/jarred things, you should make sure that they are secured firmly. You may want to wrap a plastic bag(gie) around them just in case-- the more precaution you take, the better. As long as they are cushioned so that they will not break while travelling, you shouldn't have a problem.
            Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
            Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
            Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Thankyou I hadnt thought to put them in the freezer... I will have to find some room! hehe
              Si tu n'etais pas la
              Je ne connaitrais pas
              Ce bonheur qui m'enivre
              Si tu n'etais pas la

Comment

Working...
              X