No announcement yet.

How to save more money tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make a lot of trips to your local dollar store (Dollar Tree or 99 Cent Store). I don't mean the Dollar General, either. I mean, the real dollar store. There's a lot you'd be surprised they have. If you're in Dallas, there's a HUGE one there. It's not those itty bitty ones. It could cover one grocery trip all in one.

Find places online that will pay you for extra activities. I go to Slicethepie.com and review music. OpinionOutpost.com and take surveys. You won't get rich, but you will save a little money here and there every month and it has drastically helped me out. For the record, the survey companies are not just a place for making money, between my boyfriend and I, we've gotten free cereal, pop-tarts, shampoo, soap, a beef roast from Stouffer's and I just recently got socks.

Skip the trip to Wal*Mart if you have a Kroger nearby. Wal*Mart is not "everyday, low prices". My mom and I bought just four things in there the other day and it totaled up to $39.00. We went to Kroger and got so much more for only $50. If you MUST take a trip to Wal*Mart, take advantage of their Match It program. If you can get ads and flyers that show that other places have a cheaper price, they will reward it.

If you have to go out to eat, make sure it's a place with a dollar menu.

Pay bills earlier than needed. If a bill is $45 and it's due on the 24th, and you've got $45 and it's the 1st, pay it on the 1st. Don't wait until the 24th. This is what I do with my phone bill and it allows me to have more money through out the whole month.

Use gift cards. There's places where you can "earn" them. Like Swagbucks and such. Getting Amazon gift cards has allowed me to get gifts for my SO, sister, and mom for free, basically and I've gotten some pretty awesome stuff just stacking those cards.

If you're traveling and you're doing it in the United States, skip the plane if you can. Take the bus or train. The bus is much cheaper than the plane.
    candi ❤ austin
    ღ5.11.2011ღ
    ❤ First Meeting [Texas] 2.17.2012 - 2.23.2012 ❤
    ❤ Second Visit [Wisconsin] 4.23.2012 - 4.30.2012 ❤
    ❤ Got Engaged 5.11.2012 ❤
    ❤ Closed The Distance June 24th, 2012 ❤
    [/CENTER]

Comment

If you buy your own groceries, donīt buy them meal by meal. Seriously go through all the fliers, and when something is on sale, stock up on it. Then create meals with what you have around the house. My mom literally would rather go without something than spend regular price on it. I guess the same applies to everything. Just wait for it to go on sale. Coupons are good too.

My dad is a self employed construction worker and my mom is a stay at home mom, but because of her AMAZING saving powers, and her extreme couponing, we have one of the biggest houses out of all my friends (Iīm sorry if that sounds like bragging, thatīs not my intention. Iīm just trying to make a point of how awesome just being careful with prices can be!)

"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
      -Miguel De Cervantes

Read our story HERE
      \

Comment

wow- there are some awesome tips here.

sounds daft yet simple- but leave the cash card behind at times you knw you are going out shopping or even drinking- coz then that urge to spend just a lil bit more, or buy that other round for everyone won't be possible!!

Comment

Originally posted by CandiCandi View Post
          Make a lot of trips to your local dollar store (Dollar Tree or 99 Cent Store). I don't mean the Dollar General, either. I mean, the real dollar store. There's a lot you'd be surprised they have. If you're in Dallas, there's a HUGE one there. It's not those itty bitty ones. It could cover one grocery trip all in one....

...Use gift cards. There's places where you can "earn" them. Like Swagbucks and such. Getting Amazon gift cards has allowed me to get gifts for my SO, sister, and mom for free, basically and I've gotten some pretty awesome stuff just stacking those cards.
          Ohmygosh I must find this Dollar Store. Where is it in Dallas?! I love the Dollar Store. I also am a huge fan of swagbucks. One of my goals for 2012 is to read 52 books-and since I am new to Dallas and may be moving again in a few months, I haven't gotten a library card. Instead I get the Amazon gift cards thru Swagbucks and buy either kindle books or actual books with them. I don't think I've actually spent money on a book this year. (I got a gift card for Christmas and another for my birthday, so that helped too.)

Amazon always has free kindle books-and you don't need a kindle to read them! There are free reader apps for Macs, PCs, smartphones, and even tablets! (See the link here)

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
          Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
          Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by lyonsgirl View Post
            Ohmygosh I must find this Dollar Store. Where is it in Dallas?! I love the Dollar Store. I also am a huge fan of swagbucks. One of my goals for 2012 is to read 52 books-and since I am new to Dallas and may be moving again in a few months, I haven't gotten a library card. Instead I get the Amazon gift cards thru Swagbucks and buy either kindle books or actual books with them. I don't think I've actually spent money on a book this year. (I got a gift card for Christmas and another for my birthday, so that helped too.)

Amazon always has free kindle books-and you don't need a kindle to read them! There are free reader apps for Macs, PCs, smartphones, and even tablets! (See the link here)
            It's on Alpha and Preston. It is close to Entertainmart (which reminds me, there is a good money making opportunity there as well if you have DVD's, VHS', video games, video game consoles or cell phones laying around. They actually give you what everything is worth too. I've gone into Half Price books, given them 20 DVD's with an offer of $3.00 and then Entertainmart offered me around $40-$50 for the same ones. There is one in Colorado Springs, CO, Dallas, TX, Arlington, TX and Springfield, Missouri). Go to it, though, it's the most amazing 99 Cent Store, ever. It can get a bit crowded, but it is pretty much an all in one grocery store...and it's well worth the trip.

Oh yeah, on the note of Entertainmart, if you're in Wisconsin or Minnesota, there's Gaming Generations as well which my fiance swears by.
            Last edited by CandiCandi; May 18, 2012, 12:21 PM.
            candi ❤ austin
            ღ5.11.2011ღ
            ❤ First Meeting [Texas] 2.17.2012 - 2.23.2012 ❤
            ❤ Second Visit [Wisconsin] 4.23.2012 - 4.30.2012 ❤
            ❤ Got Engaged 5.11.2012 ❤
            ❤ Closed The Distance June 24th, 2012 ❤
            [/CENTER]

Comment

Saving money is an ongoing challenge for me... always looking to save something someplace. Here are some things I've done:

Take advantage of grocery incentives: money off gas for buying groceries or gift cards in the store.
              Coupons: Paper, Internet, and E-coupons loaded to your shopper card. Most places will double up on the coupons if you use E-coupons and paper.
              Thrift Stores: Clothing, household, and furniture
              Employee Discounts: My employer offers discounts to some services that I was already using like electricity, cellphone, gym, etc...
              Negotiate: Don't be afraid to call your cable company or other utility and and ask what you can do to get your bill lower in cost. I did this with my cable bill and ended up saving another $20/month. I've also done this with my gym membership and satellite radio - I told them both I could no longer afford and wanted to cancel... they both responded by cutting my payments in half. It doesn't hurt to ask.
              Credit Cards: I know they are necessary, but try to pay cash whenever possible and get your balance down to zero.

I'll be happy the day my SO and I can close the distance and combine all of our efforts and stop paying double for so many things. Good luck.

Comment

I always keep a jar with the exact fare for a 2 way bus ticket to her place. That way if anything ever came up I could be there right away.

Comment

Working...
                X