No exit stamp...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No exit stamp...?

This past summer I went to Greece with a bunch of other students from around the US. We flew into France and then transferred to a flight to Athens from there. On the way back, we did the same thing-- Athens -> Paris and Paris -> Washington DC. On our way into France, we all got stamps in our passports to signify that we entered the country, but on our way out, the officers did not stamp my passport. I don't know why, and I didn't notice it until after we left.

I'm worried that this is going to give me trouble when I go to Peru this August. I've gone to Europe before and have entering and exit stamps from Switzerland, but that's the extent of my passport-based travel besides what I mentioned above. Are they going to give me a hard time about it going into South America? Is there anything I can bring to prove that I left in a timely manner, despite not having a stamp? We only stayed for 2 weeks, so it's not like I was close to overstaying or anything.
    Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
    Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
    Engaged: 09/26/2020

I don't think you need to worry. I've only gotten an exit stamp once. They can see every time they scan your passport where you've been and for how long. I don't see what they would give you a hard time about.

Comment

I think the only time this would be a problem would be entering into the USA. Peru won't even look twice at your passport stamps.

Comment

I doubt it's a problem unless the customs officer is anal.

And I find it weird that you didn't get an exit stamp from Paris. I got one when I went through there last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
          I doubt it's a problem unless the customs officer is anal.

And I find it weird that you didn't get an exit stamp from Paris. I got one when I went through there last year.
          Most of the other kids did get a stamp, but for some reason the kids who went through the window I went through didn't. Maybe we just went through the wrong window. =/
          Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
          Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
          Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Originally posted by kittyo9 View Post
            Most of the other kids did get a stamp, but for some reason the kids who went through the window I went through didn't. Maybe we just went through the wrong window. =/
            French immigration just doesn't give a shit. It's pretty interesting contrast coming from the US. I've always come in on early morning flights and each time the guy barely glanced at my passport and waved it through. Although in my case, I got a stamp every time, I'm not at all surprised you didn't.
            Last edited by CynicalQuixotic; March 29, 2012, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CynicalQuixotic View Post
              French immigration just doesn't give a shit. It's pretty interesting contrast coming from the US. I've always come in on early morning flights and each time the guy barely glanced at my passport and waved it through. Although in my case, I got a stamp every time, I'm not at all surprised you didn't.
              I remember when I went to Spain less than one year after 9/11. The security guards were smoking and not paying any attention to anything. I put my bag through the scanner and they didn't even look. I walked through the machine and it beeped, but they did nothing. So I picked up my bags and left. Also, when I flew back to the USA, no one ever looked at my passport. Even in the USA! I guess a 14 year old white girl wasn't threatening enough. Maybe if I had been wearing a hoodie...

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                I remember when I went to Spain less than one year after 9/11. The security guards were smoking and not paying any attention to anything. I put my bag through the scanner and they didn't even look. I walked through the machine and it beeped, but they did nothing. So I picked up my bags and left. Also, when I flew back to the USA, no one ever looked at my passport. Even in the USA! I guess a 14 year old white girl wasn't threatening enough. Maybe if I had been wearing a hoodie...
                Yeah, your beard probably wasn't long enough to raise concern!

Comment

Originally posted by CynicalQuixotic View Post
                  *EUROPEAN immigration doesn't give a shit! The Finnish custom officer almost stamped my passport without even looking at it. I mean once your inside the Schengen Zone it's supposed to be cruisey but I expected more difficulty getting into/out of the Zone. The French person who stamped me in didn't even ask anything.

But then again, I'm in-and-out of Australian Customs in no time. I'm not suss enough to make it on the Border Security TV show .

Comment

Woah I didn't even realize people got exit stamps. Though I've never been to Paris, and only been flying twice, both to the UK. Both times, I never got a stamp on the way out. They never asked me questions about it when I went there a second time. I assumed like snow_girl said that they must be able to see all the data when they scan your passport, so I wouldn't worry either.

Comment

When I went to Switzerland with my boyfriend and his family, we flew through Amsterdam. When we arrived in Amsterdam, they stamped my passport and my passport only (I guess EU citizens don't get stamps in EU countries). They did not stamp it as we were headed to Switzerland (and I didn't expect them to). When we arrived in Switzerland, none of us received a stamp! I was surprised and sad that I didn't get a stamp for Switzerland. The only exit stamp I got was from Amsterdam/(The Netherlands) when we were on our return flight to the UK. I've never gotten an exit stamp from the UK (probably because you get a stamp upon entering the US even if you're a citizen.) Did you get a stamp from the US that day? You could show them that stamp if it's a concern.

Comment

Working...
                      X