Solo road trip stories/advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solo road trip stories/advice?

Anybody done a solo road trip to see their SO before? I just bought a car and am about to drive 1600 miles alone to see him, and I'm a little apprehensive about the trip. Thoughts on doing a trip like this alone? Or for that matter, I'd be interested to hear stories of other people who've done a trip like this with their SO at the other end. :-D

And I am totally showing up at his door with roses. He doesn't know that part yet. :-D :-D We've been together 3.5 years but haven't seen each other since this past Christmas.

I did a solo road trip, but I flew to see my SO, so I don't really know if it's the same or not. haha. If you wanna know anything or hear all of my little stories from it, I'd be glad to share, just let me know. I don't want to offer irrelevant info.

First Met Online: October 2010
    First Confessed Feelings: December 21, 2011
    Became a "Couple": January 7, 2012
    First Meeting: March 9-14, 2012
    Second Meeting: July 16-31, 2012
    Closed the Distance: May 30, 2013
    Engaged!: June 1, 2013
    Picking out wedding dates now!

Comment

I just came from my solo trip but i flew there n it was my very first time fliyig it was a long tired trip to the other side of the world, the whole trip was an amaizing adventure n i enjoyed it alot if i could drive to see my SO would be pefect i love traveling n driving so enjoy it !

Comment

My advice for doing the trip would be know your limits. Don't drive when you start to feel tired, pull over and take a nap if you need to. You've got no one in the car to talk to you to keep you alert so don't try and be a hero by getting there as fast as you can. Take your time and let your body get the rest it needs so it doesn't get crushed by an on coming semi.

Also about every two hours take a short break to stretch and get out of the car, its a good boost of energy. And bring lots of music.

It will take at least 25 hours to drive so you will need to plan to stay at some motels along the way. My SO and I did a 15 000 km trip and I would usually do 4 hours before switching drivers. I can do 8 hr pretty easy. Wake up at 9 drive till 7 or so then its time to stop even if you aren't feeling tired. I didn't feel tired last night during the movie I was watching but somehow missed half of it. It doesn't take much to fall asleep so don't push your luck.
        Last edited by snow_girl; April 1, 2012, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
          My advice for doing the trip would be know your limits. Don't drive when you start to feel tired, pull over and take a nap if you need to. You've got no one in the car to talk to you to keep you alert so don't try and be a hero by getting there as fast as you can. Take your time and let your body get the rest it needs so it doesn't get crushed by an on coming semi.

Also about every two hours take a short break to stretch and get out of the car, its a good boost of energy. And bring lots of music.
          This is some very good advice for you.
          I think when driving alone such a distance like yours, you should really be prepared for it.. you should also ask yourself when you want to drive, if you can drive it in one day, if you have to stay overnight in some city...
          I didn't drive alone so far yet, but with a friend, and I tell you, it is really exhausting, and I would say I drive quite a lot when I'm home (in my country).
          Are you accustomed to drive for longer periods of time (like 2-3 hours)?

I hope everything goes well for you, but be careful!

Comment

Thanks guys! :-) Yeah I'm breaking it up quite a bit by staying at friends' houses along the way - I think my longest drive is 6 hours. Also there's a day when I'll be on a ferry - Newfoundland is quite a ways off mainland Canada! I like the "bring lots of music" part. Definitely going to spend some time napping in various places too. It makes a drive like that worth it if you know someone is waiting for you at the other end!! :-D

Comment

My friend (who is significantly more confident than I) keeps telling me she one day wants to grab me and just take a road trip up to see my SO (who, according to Google Maps, lives 11 hours away), and as fun as that would be, I don't know I could pull that off. Though I get excited just thinking about it so maybe someday it will happen, perhaps in the summer, if my parents allow it that is.
              And every breath we drew was Hallelujah

Comment

There is already a lot of great advice here.

I drove the 800 miles to where I am now in one day-with LOTS of breaks. I stopped and napped several times. Bring car snacks-and straws. It may seem silly but straws are so much easier to use than trying to get the last bit of water/soda/juice out of the bottle than tilting the bottle. I love bringing the whole box of something (cereal, crackers, whatever) so I don't have to worry about finding the baggies I put the snacks in. Put everything you think you'll need during the drive in the passenger seat-that way you can get to it without too much fuss. I usually bring an audio book with me too, it really helps the hours fly by. (But definitely have some up-beat music-and don't be afraid to turn it up and sing!)

Oh, and since you'll be staying with friends along the way, make sure you pack an overnight bag and pack it last-you don't want to be digging through all of your stuff when you'd rather be sleeping! (Don't forget a toothbrush! And pajamas (I always forget those...))

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
                Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
                Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Hi--I road trip solo all the time, SO or no SO at the other end! :-) I grew up out west, so I'm used to driving long distances by myself.

Suggestions:
                  1. Have a trusted mechanic go over your car completely--fluids, parts, belts, tires. Tell them you are going on a solo road trip.
                  2. Have good maps. You can pick up maps at welcome centers when you go into each state. It's worth it to have them. Folks tend to think, oh GPS and my smartphone will get me there. Eh--I leave little to technology when I'm on a road trip. Too many batteries to go dead, too many dead spots out west, etc. If you leave it up to technology, technology is in charge, not you.
                  3. Make motel reservations if you will need them in advance. You don't want to be driving around tired looking for a hotel. You never know what kind of local event could be going on which might make it hard to find a motel. And yeah, I'm a big Motel 6 fan. Save the swanky for a real vacation.
                  4. Look up some sights to see along the way. These are good for breaks and nothing beats a silly tourist trap at times.
                  5. Audiobooks, audiobooks, audiobooks! Check them out from the library, download them from the library, but DON'T listen to them with headphones--only on your car stereo.
                  6. Travel on the top of your gas tank. Don't let it get close to empty, especially if you are out west and not familiar with those kinds of distances.
                  7. Know how to drive in snow and rain.
                  8. Have really good sunglasses, a pair and a spare. (by really good, I don't necessarily mean expensive. My fave pair was from Big Lots and cost me $5. Unfortunately, I left them on a ferry in Mexico. *sighs*)
                  9. ALWAYS have some emergency supplies: water, a blanket (for warmth or shade), some non-perishable food, a jacket, and shoes that you can walk in. I also always travel with a shovel, a broom, and tire chains. (can you tell I grew up at high elevations?)
                  10. Let other folks know your route and then call in from the road to tell them you made it to each day's stop okay.
                  11. AAA is a great investment. It's only expensive until you need it.
                  And most important of all, ENJOY the trip! Decide that the adventure begins the minute you leave home.

Gatogirl the Road Warrior
                  17 years LDR out of 18 years of marriage. Oh, yeah, plus a year of LDR courtship.

Comment

I took my first solo road trip to see my SO, and while it wasn't NEARLY as long as yours, it was an experience. Gatogirl knows all though... that is a comprehensive list I want to take her on my next one! The only two things I can suggest other than her guidelines are be weary of getting to comfy in the car. It's fun to have snacks and drinks and your favorite book or music in, but don't get so consumed in that you forget about your driving. It's easy to do, I was listening to my favorite Queen song, playing the air guitar...and I missed a turn. Also, check laws in the states you'll be passing through, but when Dylan came up here to see me, he used his time in the car 'doing nothing' to call his mother and grandmother. He has a bluetooth headset and was calling hands-free (which is the law in my state). He said being on the phone really helped the miles pass and he got in some needed chatting time in with some of his favorite ladies

Be careful, check in often with friends and family and have fun!! It's so exciting, knowing he's at the other end!!
                    My motor runs a lover's heartbeat
                    It's just me and you
                    Put the pedal to the metal
                    Baby, turn the radio on
                    We can run to the far side of nowhere
                    We can run 'til the days are gone

Comment

Reading this thread made me excited because I just experienced it! So I met my SO a year ago randomly online and this May marked a year of us knowing each other. Back in January we decided we wanted to finally meet in May. I booked a hotel for Kentucky many months out and just hoped to God that nothing would come up to cause me to have to cancel the trip. I just got my brand new Civic back in Nov of last year, so I felt like the car wouldn't be "too new" for a 700 mile road trip by May. So jumping ahead a few months, the idea of driving 700 miles kind of started making me nervous. I'm 23 and I consider myself a really good driver but I've never driven more than 2 hours in one sitting before this trip. I wasn't sure what my limits were but I knew I really wanted to drive the whole 700 miles (11 hours) in one day. So the day came and I was driving from Virginia to Kentucky in my own car. I got some bottled water but I didn't really get many snacks since I'm a neat freak when it comes to keeping my car clean. I do recommend snacks though. It's extremely important to get a good nights sleep because otherwise the long drive will be painful and dangerous since you might fall asleep. The pure excitement of seeing my SO was what gave me the strength to drive the whole 700 miles in one day. I only stopped for gas and for lunch. I downloaded my favorite radio station's iPhone apps so that I could still listen to my favorite talk shows even though I was far away from home. The 11 hour drive wasn't too bad, though seeing my GPS say I'd be driving in a straight line for 170 miles kind of made my eyes pop out of my head for a few seconds. I left Virginia at 5:30am and I arrived in Kentucky at around 3:45pm (Kentucky is one hour behind Virginia time which made the trip/drive feel shorter than it really was.. I still felt like I had the whole day ahead of me)

Now driving home was a TOTALLY different story. First off, I ended up staying 2 extra days with my SO in Kentucky before driving back home. Mostly because I didn't want to leave her, but I'd be lying if I said part of it was because I didn't feel like driving 11 hours to go back home. My last night in Kentucky was magical with her, but I maybe got 1-2 hours of sleep in total that night around 9pm and then I woke up and spent the rest of the night/early morning with her. I dropped her off at her house and went back to my hotel to basically shove all my clothes in my bag and check out. Got some gas and started my trip back to Virginia. I was sooooo sad driving back home. Every mile I drove away from her it felt like my heart was breaking even more. On top of that I was pretty tired with hardly any sleep and I wasn't looking forward to working the next day. I drove through a lot of bad weather on the way home.. thunder storms, heavy rain and extremely thick fog. I'm kinda surprised I didn't get pulled over one single time though. Looking back, I would do the 11 hour drive both ways again.. I actually plan on doing it again in September to see her for a week this time... but I believe it might be the last time I do it. 11 hours isn't that bad with 2 drivers or with someone else in the car to keep you company, but I was all by myself. Talking on the phone helped at times to keep my mind busy. She doesn't live near a major airport, so if I fly to Kentucky, I'll still have to rent a car and probably drive 1hr 20 mins or so. No matter what, I think this next time will be my last time driving my own car. I love the feeling of being in my own car since I feel comfortable in it and all the blind spots etc but I'm currently at 6,000 miles on my car and I don't want to keep adding huge chunks of miles on it because I depend on it to get to work etc.

Sorry for typing this novel, I was just excited to share my story. Final words.. 1) make sure to have at least 2 forms of directions. I used my iPhone Tom Tom app but I also had a Tom Tom GPS in the car just in case for some reason it stopped working. Try to keep the tank no lower than a little under half. Sometimes there are long stretches of not seeing a gas station and the last thing you want to do is be stranded or worried you're not gonna make it to the next stop. Good luck!

Comment

I schlep back and forth between home and school pretty frequently so I'll add my two cents (although others have added lots of valuable input!)

- Book your hotel well in advance to keep the cost low. Review Tripadvisor feedback for the places you're considering; it's often worth a little extra for a place that looks more safe or is more comfortable. I like to have Wireless internet and free breakfast included (most places have this now) for convenience. Bonus points if it's across the street from a gas station so I can fuel up before I leave the next morning.

- Have your car looked over before traveling. I usually have my oil changed before I go and they check tires, fluids, etc. I keep a tire pressure gauge in my glove box.

- Keep your purse/bag on the front seat next to you with easy access to your phone, chapstick, Advil/Tums/etc, chargers, paperwork, passport (I cross from Canada to the US) all handy. Obviously you shouldn't let yourself get distracted but it's much nicer to have it right next to you in case you need something.

- Write down the phone number of the place you're staying in case you need directions/get lost/need to request a later check-in, etc.

- Wear comfortable clothes, especially if you're going to be driving all day/the next day. I usually travel in sweats and a tshirt +/- hoodie and sneakers.

- Don't overexert yourself. I can make it ~10 hours without going crazy, and I plan my hotel for that time period. It's tempting to want to go through and get home/to your destination but it isn't worth you being exhausted and possibly having an accident. Also remember to get out and stretch your legs for a few minutes every now and then! I end up stopping no less than once every four hours, although I find every two hours is best. Stretch your muscles, walk around briskly, get the blood flowing and eat something. This always perks me up for another couple of hours of driving.

Safe travels
                        In all the world there is no heart for me like yours.
                        In all the world there is no love for you like mine.
                        -- Maya Angelou

Comment

Working...
                        X