Iceland Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iceland Air

Im flying to england with iceland air in July, from JFK in NYC (I have a 1 hr stop over in iceland).

Now, flying from the USA to europe it says I'm allowed to check 2 bags (Which I really really want to do), but from europe to europe you can only check one.

If I check 2 at JFK, do you think I'd have to pay to check the second bag seeing as at some point in the journey it will be europe to europe?

Also, has anyone flown iceland air? I wanna know if they TV's in the seats like other long haul flights I've been on, or if I will have to provide my own entertainment? :P
    Si tu n'etais pas la
    Comment pourrais-je vivre
    Je ne connaitrais pas
    Ce bonheur qui m'enivre
    Quand je suis dans tes bras
    Mon coeur joyeux se livre
    Si tu n'etais pas la

Love that will not betray you, dismay or enslave you. It will set you free.
    Home could be anywhere when I am holding you

"DONT RUIN MY DREAM OF MINITURE HIPPOS"

I flew Iceland Air last year, out of JFK. How many bags you can check depends on your point of origin, so you should be OK. Iceland Air has a bit of a discount carrier feel, the plane was old and dirty, and you have to pay for your meals, snacks and alcohol; transatlantic flights usually include those things. The inflight "entertainment" left a lot to be desired! But, I'd fly them again if they had a good deal, the flight attendants were very friendly and even though you have to pay for your food, they had interesting Icelandic choices, which I loved. Also, the Keflavik airport was nice and small, so the connection was super easy. Luckily, an hour is enough, but not enough to shop in the cool stores in there! If you fly into Iceland during the daylight, it's an amazing place to see from the air, it's got the strangest landscape.

All in all, it wasn't a bad flight, the good customer service made it worthwhile.
    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

If it's one whole flight (with layovers) from the US to your destination, I believe they're required to carry your bags all the way through, regardless of the europe-europe rules, since you are taking an intercontinental trip.

I don't have experience with Iceland Air, but I do have a checked bag story about Europe. xD When I went to Luxembourg, we flew Swiss Air and were allowed to check two bags. And, now that I'm thinking about it, I also had a US -> Europe and Europe -> Europe flight, and I had no issues bringing both my bags all the way through on the way there. This was during the transition period when they were just recently bought by Lufthansa, however, and four weeks later on our way back, Lufthansa had taken over Swiss air in the place we were flying out of, and with them came their 1-bag-only rules. The people wouldn't let me check my second bag unless I paid for it (like $80!), and I was not the only one. How could they let me bring two bags but only allow me to bring back one?! :P So I tried to explain to them the situation and my professor came over and talked to them, too, and after the attendant discussed it with someone who I suppose was a sort of manager, they allowed it.

Moral of the story: even if they tell you no, insist politely. Maybe print out the Iceland Air bag checking policies and point out that these are the rules you followed on the way there and they should be honored just the same throughout your trip.
      Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
      Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
      Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

How long are you going to Europe for? Maybe try packing lighter for your trip? I packed on suitcase for two years when I came over. That way then you don't have to worry if you take any other flights within europe.

Comment

I'm leaving the USA permenantly. I brought one suitcase with me when I moved here originally. I'm trying to identify clothes and things I dont mind parting with, but I was overweight coming here and Iceland air gives me less weight allowance than I had coming over here so giving away a few clothes isnt going to help much. I'm planning to try and send some stuff via post, like my winter clothes, but it'll be expensive, so I may as well just pay for an extra bag...
          Si tu n'etais pas la
          Je ne connaitrais pas
          Ce bonheur qui m'enivre
          Quand je suis dans tes bras
          Mon coeur joyeux se livre
          Si tu n'etais pas la

Love that will not betray you, dismay or enslave you. It will set you free.
          Home could be anywhere when I am holding you

"DONT RUIN MY DREAM OF MINITURE HIPPOS"

Comment

Working...
          X