Traveling where you don't speak the language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
    I always think about how lucky I am that English is my native language.

And thanks for your story. I guess I "moved" to Costa Rica the first time without knowing Spanish, but it was to study Spanish so it wasn't that big of a deal to me. I guess it's sort of the same thing.

I think perhaps the biggest worry for me is coming across as the "ignorant American". I don't want to reinforce any stereotypes, but it's also impossible to learn all the languages in the world. (Though Dziubka is pretty damn close) I don't mind sounding silly when I try to speak the language, but I'd hate to come off as "the stupid American that can't do anything right". Ya know?
    Because I like you, I'll let you pretend you are honorary Canadian....whenever I'm at work and someone asks if I am Canadian or American they always get so excited when I say Canadian lol

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
      Because I like you, I'll let you pretend you are honorary Canadian....whenever I'm at work and someone asks if I am Canadian or American they always get so excited when I say Canadian lol
      Jajaja! Lots of Americans I know say they are Canadian. I don't like to do that because I don't see the point in lying. If you don't like me because of where I'm from, then I don't want to hang out with you anyways. But, it does bother me to see American girls here on tables dancing, getting wasted, and doing other stupid things. I mean, not that those things aren't fun, but they're giving me a bad name!! I remember once a guy asked me: "So do all American girls really like sex?" whaaaa...? I also get "do you own a gun?", "are you allowed to teach evolution?" and "what do you think about Bush?" (when he was president) a lot, too.

And similar to your Canadian experience, people always are super surprised I actually speak Spanish!

But that's a whole other conversation...

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post

I think perhaps the biggest worry for me is coming across as the "ignorant American". I don't want to reinforce any stereotypes, but it's also impossible to learn all the languages in the world. (Though Dziubka is pretty damn close) I don't mind sounding silly when I try to speak the language, but I'd hate to come off as "the stupid American that can't do anything right". Ya know?
        Desearķa que fuera verdad! (I totally hope that was right, my Spanish is mostly passive). But seriously, no. I don't, I'm not even close.

I think anyone can tell the difference between you and the stereotypical ignorant American. No one expects you to learn a language just because you want to travel somewhere. The ignorant American doesn't even know where Europe is let alone go there on vacation. As long as you don't go around waving dollars, insisting to pay with them and commenting on how developed we are, no one will hate you just because of where you're from.

People asking you things like that about American girls and sex are proving to be ignorant douches themselves, it doesn't make you ignorant.
        Last edited by Dziubka; June 1, 2012, 04:59 AM.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Yip manymany times. Dont worry though, germans speak english! You wont need your phrase book at all. Actually all the people in northern European countries tend to speak Englsih fluent.
          So many times have I heard American tourists trying to speak waaaaay slow to ask for directions and then watching open mouthed as we respond in perfect English, cracks me up every time. no offense to the Americans at all though! I think its really nice when they make an effort to try and speak our language! Enjoy your stay in Germany!

Comment

You'll be fine. They probably speak to foreign people every day.

And knowing a few phrases will do you wonders! Although I love how Estonians will respond to me in English, if I say tere

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

Originally posted by Dziubka View Post
            Desearķa que fuera verdad! (I totally hope that was right, my Spanish is mostly passive). But seriously, no. I don't, I'm not even close.

I think anyone can tell the difference between you and the stereotypical ignorant American. No one expects you to learn a language just because you want to travel somewhere. The ignorant American doesn't even know where Europe is let alone go there on vacation. As long as you don't go around waving dollars, insisting to pay with them and commenting on how developed we are, no one will hate you just because of where you're from.

People asking you things like that about American girls and sex are proving to be ignorant douches themselves, it doesn't make you ignorant.
            That's it exactly. Although I've seen some 'stereotypically ignorant tourists' and they make me chuckle.

Wait till you see the British Bucks Parties in Tallinn. I feel sorry for the females

Comment

Working...
            X