Terrified and excited-- flying internationally alone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a safe trip kittyo9! Hope it will be a memorable smooth experience
    Don't be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again.
    And meeting again, after moments or lifetime, is certain for those who are friends.
    ~Richard Bach

“Always,” said Snape.

Comment

I'm a bit late and just read that you have already left! Have fun!

My first international trip alone connected through the United States. I was just off my first flight and needed something to eat badly. I was starving, frustrated and tired from the 30 minute gate walk that I elected for rather than taking the shuttle. Well, I got to a store and wanted to buy a yogurt, some granola bars and a chocolate milk. I only had my Canadian debit card and at this time I didn’t have a credit card… So I was told I couldn’t buy anything. Well thankfully some heaven sent lady bought me my food and I thanked her and had to run to my flight.

The second time, I was sitting in the food court area and was talking away on the phone. When all of a sudden last for my flight was called. I had never heard the boarding call even though the flight was less than 15 feet from the food court. I had to grab my food in my hands and run to the gate with a half piece of pizza, an opened can of coke and a look of fear on my face.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalfever View Post
        I'm a bit late and just read that you have already left! Have fun!

My first international trip alone connected through the United States. I was just off my first flight and needed something to eat badly. I was starving, frustrated and tired from the 30 minute gate walk that I elected for rather than taking the shuttle. Well, I got to a store and wanted to buy a yogurt, some granola bars and a chocolate milk. I only had my Canadian debit card and at this time I didn’t have a credit card… So I was told I couldn’t buy anything. Well thankfully some heaven sent lady bought me my food and I thanked her and had to run to my flight.

The second time, I was sitting in the food court area and was talking away on the phone. When all of a sudden last for my flight was called. I had never heard the boarding call even though the flight was less than 15 feet from the food court. I had to grab my food in my hands and run to the gate with a half piece of pizza, an opened can of coke and a look of fear on my face.
        Just curiously, do you have a Visa Debit Card?

Comment

In one month I will also be flying internationally alone. I'm nervous too, especially because I have three layovers.

Comment

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
            Just curiously, do you have a Visa Debit Card?
            No, I have a TD Bank Card which is connected to my personal account. I don't know what a Visa Debit Card is too be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalfever View Post
              No, I have a TD Bank Card which is connected to my personal account. I don't know what a Visa Debit Card is too be honest.
              Oh weird. It's a normal bank card but it is connected to the Visa network, so you can use perform visa transactions with it. It lets you use the card internationally.

It's the norm in Australia to have Mastercard or Visa attached to your card. I thought that it would be the same in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
                Oh weird. It's a normal bank card but it is connected to the Visa network, so you can use perform visa transactions with it. It lets you use the card internationally.

It's the norm in Australia to have Mastercard or Visa attached to your card. I thought that it would be the same in Canada.
                Nope! In Canada you have a Visa/Master card and then a separate debit card for your bank account. Which is a hassle because if I fly through the U.S I always have to get 20 bucks in American so that I can eat something.

Comment

The first time I flew internationally by myself I was 9, since then I have become a seasoned traveller both nationally and internationally. My most recent trip ended 5 days ago when I returned home to Australia from the US after visiting my SO for the first time for 5 weeks.
                  Im not sure if you want tips or the story but I'm more inclined to give some tips.
                  - Do your research: learn about the place you are going to. You should have some background knowledge to the culture and places around where you are.
                  -You should always have a back up plan: if you are visiting you SO internationally alone you should have enough money that if something went sour, you have enough money to stay somewhere, keep travelling or return home.
                  -Make sure you have copies of your travel details and copies of these documents and itinerarys of where you are staying with someone back at home.
                  -If you are staying with your SO make sure there is a room or somewhere seperate for you to sleep and have to yourself. If you ever feel uncomfortable you will have you own place to sleep.
                  -keep in regular contact with family while away so they know you are safe.

Comment

Working...
                  X