To surprise or to not surprise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To surprise or to not surprise...

I want to visit my boyfriend for his birthday. Badly. I've talked with my mom about it, and she seemed pretty on board with it aside from the problems I may face.

**keep in mind, his birthday isn't until March, so I have a little time to decide, but definitely not a lot because I have to start saving up**

First of all, travel expenses. Clearly. Tickets are expensive, and I will be working a lot less once school starts up. Plus I'm going on a week long trip to London to perform in the New Year's Day parade, and I have my senior prom in April.
    Plane tickets are insane to get from here to there. But if need be, my parents would help me out and I would end up paying them back.

Second of all, I could potentially have my poms state competition that weekend. We will be a part of two different organizations, and that happens to be the state competition for one of the organizations. As of right now, we were leaning towards being a part of the other organization more...but we aren't entirely sure. I will hopefully have more information on that tonight.
    Unlike the money issue, this one cannot be changed. And I may not know whether we will be there until 2 weeks before...which could cause a lot of problems...

Aside from all of that, it's perfect. It's a four day weekend for me, and neither of us will have exams. He doesn't have classes on Fridays so that would be the day I fly in; while I would leave Monday or Sunday night if necessary.

So...do I surprise him or not?

If I DID plan to surprise him...I would talk to his mom about it first. Because I wouldn't be mentioning it to him, I would have to see if it works for her. Then her and I would plan everything, and I would bring in one of his closest friends that I have talked to before to help me out. Keeping it a secret would be BEYOND difficult. I would be counting down to it while he would be completely clueless and hoping to see me the following month. But I can only imagine the look on his face when I show up at his house. He'd be so in shock he wouldn't know what to do!

If I DON'T surprise him...I would talk with him about it. He would talk to his mom, who would talk to my mom (will happen either way). He can plan what we do together, which he may or may not like xD, we can both count down to it together, and it can be something that he looks forward to. It would generally be easier.

Either way, I would still be visiting. As long as everything works out in my favor.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by Courtney:) View Post

So...do I surprise him or not?

If I DID plan to surprise him...I would talk to his mom about it first. Because I wouldn't be mentioning it to him, I would have to see if it works for her. Then her and I would plan everything, and I would bring in one of his closest friends that I have talked to before to help me out. Keeping it a secret would be BEYOND difficult. I would be counting down to it while he would be completely clueless and hoping to see me the following month. But I can only imagine the look on his face when I show up at his house. He'd be so in shock he wouldn't know what to do!
    If you do surprise him I would definitely do it the way above and work on it with his Mom but I would try the "surprise" thing. Well that would be me anyway

Comment

Like Snowlily said, as long as his family knows about it, I agree with you on making sure his friends know also, you want to make very sure he has no plans! I usually think surprise visits are a bad idea, but I think for once younger people have the advantage here, since you can get family involved, so nothing gets spoiled. If you can pull it off, I think you should go for it, but either way, you'll have a great time!
      Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Yeah, definitely! I just sort of brought it up yesterday to him before I decided to try and surprise him..I'm sure he will forget sooner or later ;P

I just finished talking to one of his closest friends, and he is SO supportive about it! I love it! He even offered to not only pick me up from the airport, but to talk to my boyfriend's mom with me if I felt uncomfortable with it (considering I've never really had much of a conversation with her except occasional "hi"s on Skype and a "I can't wait to meet you")

I hope this all works out

Comment

Working...
        X