Meeting in the middle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meeting in the middle

Does anyone have any tips on how to plan a trip together and sort of meet half-way? Like a city in between or a country, depending on how far it is. It is so difficult to find the right flight , time, place and price!

Well my advice would be to find a place in or around half way for both of you that you would both like to go to and stick to it and wait for prices to fall into reasonable ranges and then plan your trip. From what I've seen looking at flights if they're going to the same place even if it's different airlines they usually get in around the same time, if not just wander around the airport till the opposite party arrives.

Notes:
    Met: 8.17.09
    Started Dating: 8.20.09
    First Met: 10.2.10
    Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

I suggest finding a major city so it's easier for you two to find flights with more times/cheaper prices. Try and find flights that are within two or three hours of each other -- one of you can meet the other at the gate and it'll be a nice surprise. (: Book hotels in advance!
      "If you get hungry enough, they say, you start eating your own heart"

Comment

I was wondering about that but my SO and I are an ocean and all the way east to west of the US apart. Even if he came to New York or something, my flight time wouldn't change much. Only like two hours or so, which is nothing if you have an 11 hour flight everything else is ocean and ice so I guess we don't have that option.
        But I hope you are more lucky. I generally like the idea of meeting in the middle.

Comment

This really isn't too complicated, the most important thing is to be flexible and not expect every plan to go perfectly, no matter how much you've planned. First, decide on the city or country, then once you've decided, look at the tourist sites for that place and decide what you'd like to do while there. Once you've figured out some sites you want to see, search what hotels are nearby, and pick one within your budget. Once you've decided that, you both figure out your transportation options, and get flights that land within, say, half a day at most apart. Trying to find flights that land very close together just might not happen, be prepared for that and plan accordingly. If it's a long wait, whoever gets there first can just go wait at the hotel, comfortably No sense in waiting hours at the airport! Also, think about how you're going to get around, if you won't be renting a car, make sure you go to a big, popular touristy place where the airport isn't too too far away, this way you'll have plenty of public transportation options for getting around. Small, pretty places are awesome and romantic, but not if you can't get to 'em! Also, tourist traps and bigger cities will have tons of info online, including bus schedules and taxi prices, so just do your research.

I think it's a great idea, so do a little homework and you'll have a blast!
          Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
            This really isn't too complicated, the most important thing is to be flexible and not expect every plan to go perfectly, no matter how much you've planned. First, decide on the city or country, then once you've decided, look at the tourist sites for that place and decide what you'd like to do while there. Once you've figured out some sites you want to see, search what hotels are nearby, and pick one within your budget. Once you've decided that, you both figure out your transportation options, and get flights that land within, say, half a day at most apart. Trying to find flights that land very close together just might not happen, be prepared for that and plan accordingly. If it's a long wait, whoever gets there first can just go wait at the hotel, comfortably No sense in waiting hours at the airport! Also, think about how you're going to get around, if you won't be renting a car, make sure you go to a big, popular touristy place where the airport isn't too too far away, this way you'll have plenty of public transportation options for getting around. Small, pretty places are awesome and romantic, but not if you can't get to 'em! Also, tourist traps and bigger cities will have tons of info online, including bus schedules and taxi prices, so just do your research.

I think it's a great idea, so do a little homework and you'll have a blast!
            Moon definitely just wrote everything I was thinking of writing!
            Put some time and effort into making trip plans and be very flexible!

Comment

Working...
            X