Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best airports and worst airports

What is your list?

The worst airport to me is SJO. I've been to other sucky airports, but because I frequent SJO so much it's on my hate list. Here's why:

-it's freezing
    -there's no food and no booze (well unless you count exorbirantly priced chocolate covered coffee beans)
    -it's tiny
    -there's no TVs
    -there's no outlets
    -they make you throw out all your liquids before getting on the plane. Like if you buy a drink or fill up a water bottle inside the airport, they make you throw it away before you get on the plane, and occasionally before going to sit at your gate. They also re-search your bags, make you take off coats and wave you down with a metal detector wand.

One of my favorite airports is ATL. Yeah, it's huge and crowded, but there's so much to do there on your layovers! I've never had a problem connecting, the people are friendly, lots of food choices, and of course they sell Sweet Water Brewery beer! YUM! Plus they just built a new border control which is all fancy and nice.

I love Newark airport. It's always been my point of entry, the border control people are always efficient and sometimes even friendly I've been lost before and there had always been some one helpful to tell me the way. Lots of choices for food and shopping. I also like Manchester (in the UK, not the American one). I love the duty free and lounge area- I spend a lot of time waiting in there! Detroit Wayne County is always fun- I love ther Rave Party tunnel

I HATED Paris Charles De Gaul. I will make an effort never to fly to or transfer there ever again! The security people have no clue what they are doing, were rude, hostile and SMASHED MY MACAROONS. It's also dirty and gross. Hate that place!

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
    <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
    The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
    <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
    <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
    Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
    Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

well my airport Phoenix Sky Harbor International is nice but it's HUGEEE although I think the layout is easy enough to understand.

But I really dislike my SO's airport, Greater Rochester International Airport I found it really confusing there were no signs to the exits and the doors where you get off the plane lead to a restricted area also without any designated signs. I got so lost trying to look for my SO >.>

Notes:
      Met: 8.17.09
      Started Dating: 8.20.09
      First Met: 10.2.10
      Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

I think Orlando International is nice It's pretty big but lots of shopping available. I only hate the security lines, because since it's a bigger airport, they are always long.

Nicole - funny you mention Manchester - since that's where I fly into to visit my SO in New Hampshire

I think Detroit's airport was the worst one I've ever been to. It was kind of dirty, and I don't remember there being much to do. But I was only 17 when I flew into it, so it's been quite a long time.

Comment

I love Hartsfield-Jackson, Atlanta. It has smoker-friendly areas.
          I know smoking has become quite impopular these days, but sometimes we simply gotta have one!!!

Comment

I like:

Helsinki-Vantaa Airport is my personal favourite.
            *It's very clean and has a strong Nordic touch to its architecture.
            *They have really comfortable recliner seats and being a smaller airport, it's much easier to navigate it compared to the big Western European hubs like Paris CDG.
            (I do believe that it has won

Singapore Changi Airport is also really nice.
            *It's a great airport to transit flights in because they do the security scans at the boarding gate.
            *There is also a lot of (quality) duty free shopping and they have cool things like a mini-forest located in the transit area as well.
            *The food is pretty affordable as well. ~4 Euros/$5 AUD can get you a meal.
            *The standard of spoken English is very very high and it has all of the necessities including smoking and prayer areas.
            (In general, it's an airport that properly fulfils its role as a major global hub. I do believe that SKYTRAX named Singapore Changi as the best transit airport in the world for this year.)

Airports that I don't like as much

Sydney Kingsford-Smith Airport is horrible.
            *You have to PAY to transfer between the domestic and international terminals.
            *It is generally dirty.
            *On the other hand, it's very close to the city and it's in a nice location.
            *They have free (and good) Wi-Fi.

Melbourne Tullamarine Airport is better.
            *The domestic and international terminals are connected.
            *It's usually cleaner than Sydney.
            *The airport just got free Wi-Fi as well, BUT the airport is located in the outskirts of Melbourne.
            Last edited by Tooki; December 1, 2012, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Sydney domestic airport is awesome, free wi fi plus lots of shops and an amazing foodcourt. The only downside is continously getting checked for drugs and bombs and all that.

My SOs airport is crap, everything is expensive suprisingly and there is hardly anything there. The cafe doesnt do takeaway hot chocolates or teas.

But apart from that all the plane staff ie jetstar and virgin are heaps nice

Comment

I would say that my worst airports are probably, Prague and Skavsta in Stockholm.
                I don't like the Prague airport because it looks really dirty and the signs aren't very accurate - I managed to get lost there and not being able to speak a word of Czech was rather difficult, and the staff are so so rude! I don't really like Skavsta in Stockholm either because it's a relatively small airport, it's not easy to get to, from my place I have to take a train and then 2 buses to get there. Also they only have one cafe and one newsagents before security and then only a restaurant/bar on the other side of security before the gate.

My best airports would probably have to be London Heathrow, although it's huge and there's always tons of people there, I like it Plus it's really easy to get around and there's always people around who you can ask pretty much anything - not that I've ever needed too as it's so well sign posted! And they have a really good selection of shops both before and after security. My other best airport is Stockholm Arlanda, because yet again, it's a large airport, but it's not too busy, and even when it is the only thing that can take a long time is getting through security or the border when coming back in. They also have free WiFi on both sides of security so that's really great and helpful
                No time zone or distance or anything can keep us apart

Comment

Airports I love:

Salt Lake International (SLC)
                  ~ my home airport so i know my way around really well
                  ~ have cute things at the shops
                  ~ friendly employees
                  ~ fast moving security lines

Dallas-Ft.Worth (DFW):
                  ~ Big airport, with tons to do and see (they have artwork inside)
                  ~ Duty free
                  ~ Everyone who works for american airlines that knew my dad knows me so i get treated very well when i'm there

Toronto Pearson International (YYZ):
                  ~ friendly people
                  ~ Duty free
                  ~ meet a lot of different people there

Airports I hate

Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International (ATL):
                  ~ Way too busy
                  ~ Rude employees (the one time i was there i asked one of the airport employee's how to get to my gate and they were very rude and said if you'd read the signs you'd know)

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Well, I haven't traveled that much, so I couldn't make a list. I've only been at Schipol airport, in Amsterdam. It's so pretty, lots of things to see, restaurants, shops, and it's always very clean. I just loved it!!!

Anyway, here's a very useful site, if you ever have to make a conection and you have to wait for hours or have to sleep at an airport.
                    This site gives you some tips and recommendations, it also has a list of the best airports in the world.

https://www.sleepinginairports.net/

https://www.sleepinginairports.net/2...t-airports.htm Best airports of 2012!

Comment

Originally posted by nicole View Post
                      I love Newark airport. It's always been my point of entry, the border control people are always efficient and sometimes even friendly I've been lost before and there had always been some one helpful to tell me the way. Lots of choices for food and shopping. I also like Manchester (in the UK, not the American one). I love the duty free and lounge area- I spend a lot of time waiting in there! Detroit Wayne County is always fun- I love ther Rave Party tunnel

I HATED Paris Charles De Gaul. I will make an effort never to fly to or transfer there ever again! The security people have no clue what they are doing, were rude, hostile and SMASHED MY MACAROONS. It's also dirty and gross. Hate that place!
                      Macarons. Macaroons are the coconut and egg white cookies that you make for Pesach.

Comment

I've been to my fair share of airports, don't really remember a lot of them, but I did like Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport, lush authentic Thai deocration with statues etc, very big but very easy to navigate, Staff were always very helpful and friendly.

"Buddha made you for me" - My SO

1st Met/Visit: Nov 2012 - Thailand
                        2nd Visit: May 2013 - Thailand
                        3rd Visit: Jun 2013 - Thailand
                        4th Visit: Sep 2013 - Thailand
                        5th Visit: Sep 2013 - Jan 2014 - UK
                        6th Visit: Apr 2014 - Thailand - Marry
                        7th Visit: Sept 14th 2014 - Thailand - Wedding Ceremony / Party
                        Close the distance - Sept 21st 2014 - UK
                        UK Wedding Party: November 8th 2014

Comment

My only issue with Bangkok airport is the full body security scanners that almost made me miss my connecting flight. Also my luggage was raided and things (luckily not too valuable) were stolen by their baggage sorters.

Comment

Helsinki is in my top five, though I might be a bit biased
                            Been to sooooo many airports I can't even remember...Manchester didn't make that good of an impression on me when leaving the UK. I was early and had to wait ages before I could check my luggage in and there was no chairs, cafe or anything there. Only after the security etc. So that's a big minus! Coming in was much better.
                            Heathrow has a nice camping like outside area after bomb scares :P
                            2006? August I think it was, on the day all the flights were cancelled, the next day we had to wait outside the airport in this area they had built. Were given water and biscuits though. And then you got called into the airport.
                            That's when all the regulations with liquids etc came about. Security guards with rifles all around. And they even body checked our 2 year old.

Comment

Oh yeah and on that very tight security day we found out only at the gate (after my ex husbands passport had been checked many times before and also travelling to UK from Helsinki and arriving at Heathrow) that his passport was 6 months OLD!!!!
                              They let us on the plane luckily.

Comment

Working...
                              X