Desperately need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desperately need help

I want to pick Nick up from the airport and meet him at baggage claim...but I have a slight problem.

I don’t know where the short stay parking lot is.

The first time I ever drove to the airport was dropping Nick off over the summer. I was in tears, and being unfamiliar with the area, I completely missed the ramp to departures. I had to drive all over the place to get back, and almost got rear ended. Not the greatest experience.

I have been researching my butt off and have been extremely unsuccessful.

I know it would be easiest to take the ramp and pick him up outside of baggage claim..but I want that moment. When I see him going down the escalator, and running towards him…gah more than anything I want that!

It's such a small airport so many of you have probably never heard of it, but I figured this was the best place to go. Has anyone picked someone up from Chicago Midway? It would make me feel so much better if I knew where the parking lot was :x

Thanks so much in advance!!

Is it close enough that you could plan a trip there in advance to check things out? On a relaxing day off or something, with no pressure.

Just a suggestion! I hope someone has a better answer for you.

Comment

My schedule is so busy I don't have time to do that :/ He flies in next Wednesday (ah! )

Thanks anyway!!

Comment

Chicago Midway Airport operates hourly and daily parking in a convenient location between 55th and 59th Streets, just east of Cicero Avenue. Hourly parking is available on the 1st floor of the Parking Garage, situated close to the airport terminal, east of Cicero Avenue, making it convenient for dropping off or greeting people. The Parking Garage is for parking three hours or less, and is not for overnight parking.
        that was all I could find, try google mapping those streets and see if it looks like actual parking. Oh and there's a fee apparently.

Notes:
        Met: 8.17.09
        Started Dating: 8.20.09
        First Met: 10.2.10
        Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

One option is you could have someone come with you when you go to pick him up. The other option is simply to go and try hard to pay close attention this time. I realise that it's unhelpful, but that's all I've got. San Francisco has pretty blatant signs/road signs, as does another smaller airport closer by, so my guess would be there will be signs; you simply have to keep an eye out.

Comment

Yeah...I just need to keep my eyes open, hopefully it'll be easier since I'll want to find him because he will be coming here rather than going home.

I just wish there was something that blatantly said "Take the arrivals ramp and it'll be on the right." How hard can that be? -___-

Gah. I'll figure it out. Thank you all so much!

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney:) View Post
              Yeah...I just need to keep my eyes open, hopefully it'll be easier since I'll want to find him because he will be coming here rather than going home.

I just wish there was something that blatantly said "Take the arrivals ramp and it'll be on the right." How hard can that be? -___-

Gah. I'll figure it out. Thank you all so much!
              If it were simple, it wouldn't be an airport. Good luck!

Comment

Google street view is your friend! I don't know how many times I've used it to figure out how to get somewhere before I had to get somewhere.

Look at this map in satellite view:
                https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&g...ed=0CCAQ_BIwAA

Find the streets where the garage is. Then move the little man above the zoom thing and place him on the street. You can move forward, backward, look around, all in 360 degrees. You'll be able to see the landmarks and signage and know what to look for when you're really there.

And if you have a GPS, use that too.

I've only parked onsite at Midway once, and I seem to recall the garage is right in the middle, but I can't completely remember. I usually fly O'Hare. But Midway is easier because it's smaller. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by LittleVari View Post

Look at this map in satellite view:
                  https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&g...ed=0CCAQ_BIwAA
                  I was looking at that, and there's a little ramp/street that is clearly labeled "Departures" but there isn't an arrivals one...Using my best judgement, I can assume it goes down a little bit to where Google maps cannot see it...I definitely know that there's a huge overhead right when you walk out of Midway's baggage claim from memory of flying out of there. And if I follow the opposite road of departures, I seem to end up hitting the giant parking garage (or the overhead that is right by arrivals...)

Comment

If the departures ramp is so clearly labelled, the arrivals one will probably be too. Just go there as early as you can on the day, so you leave yourself with enough time to figure it out. Short stay is usually a couple of hours anyway, so you'll be fine. I had that moment with my SO the first time I met him, but I went by public transport. Maybe that's an option for you too? Well, I must say that public transport is ridiculously well arranged in The Netherlands, so it's probably more difficult in the US, but who knows? It's an airport, after all... Good luck! And try not to stress out about it, because you'll see that it turns out to be super easy and you just miss things so easily when you're stressing...

Comment

Here's what I found:

Hourly Parking
                      Hourly parking is available on the 1st floor of the Parking Garage, situated close to the airport terminal, east of Cicero Avenue, making it convenient for dropping off or greeting people. The Parking Garage is for parking three hours or less, and is not for overnight parking.
                      So looking at Google Maps, it seems like it's just one shared parking lot for departures and arrivals (the one East of Cicero Ave). I'm sure there will be plenty of signage and friendly Midwestern people to help!

Go early, bring a book, drink a Starbucks drink for me

Comment

Thanks so much, everyone. I appreciate your responses

I'll leave here a little bit earlier than I planned to, and I'll take the arrivals ramp and see where that takes me...haha. :P

Comment

Working...
                        X