Eurail Problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eurail Problem!

I'm currently booked to go to Denmark to visit a friend of mine and have a bit of a problem. I'd like to head to a few countries after visiting with her for a few days! I have always thought a Eurail pass would be a good idea but to be honest they just seem to expensive and a waste of time for me. I really have five main 'things'/places outside of the UK that i'd like to REALLY see and would be upset if i left Euroupe without making the effort to see them:

1 - Greece (Athens/Crete)
    2 - Germany (Dachau)
    3 - Pompeii
    4 - Amsterdam
    5 - Paris

Other than that I don't have a real destination that I'm drawn to other than maybe Poland and I'm not keen on going to Poland alone just to see Auschwitz. What would you guys suggest for getting around other than a Europass? I have about 14 days to do this all in.

I thought the eurail pass was very convenient when I used it and well worth the money I spent on it. I think from Denmark you are going to have to pick and choose which you want to see most. All those places are on opposite ends of Europe and unless you want to spend more then half your time on a train getting from one to another I don't think it will be worth it. You can easily see AMsterdam and Paris together and from Munich (where dachau is) you can get a night train to Paris so it doesn't take up much of your sight seeing time.. Greece and Pompeii are way the hell out of the way, I would suggest if you wanted to see those you'd have to pick one and that would probably be it. Also Athens has been going through crisis the last little while and while may be cheap not really worth making a trip exclusively for.

You could do Munich, Paris and Amsterdam easily in two weeks and see everything in each place or even a day trip from each. I did 11 countries in 3 weeks a few years ago, it was tiring, I got sick and I skimped on seeing a lot of the things each city had to offer.

Comment

No experience with Eurail but wanted to just quickly jump in to say this:
      You certainly don't need more than two days to see Amsterdam, but it's certainly beautiful and a fun experience!
      Paris is so big and has so many cool things, if you make a little bit of a tight schedule you can see almost everything in three days.
      I know my school went to Pompeii only one day, combined with a trip to Rome. There is not that much left so I don't think you could spend a lot of time there. (But then, to get around in Rome you would need like 5 days!)
      I have not been to the other places, but just based on this I would say you have more than enough time to do all in two weeks if you have the money and are really interested in these places!

Comment

Great suggestions! I was thinking from Denmark I'd buy a regional euro rail and include three counties. I know that I'd probably only need a full day in Amsterdam but I'd like to spend two days in Germany.

Rome I'd probably wait for another break so I could spend a few days there.

Comment

I reckon that 3-4 days in Paris would be perfect.

Comment

Agreeing with what everyone else here has said, just wanted to give my input on Greece and Italy As already said they are way out of route, and I know you'll need like a week to see Rome and Pompeii properly. I went there with my SO for a week, and we still didn't see it all! Pompeii definitely needs a full day from morning until closing-time, because it's huuuuge and you'll do a lot of walking (as goes for the rest of Rome too xD). Greece is the same, if you want to go to Athens you'll probably need a couple of days. Depending on what you'd want to do in Crete, you'd probably need a couple of days there too.

So yeah, doing Dachau, Paris and Amsterdam in the days you have will be plenty enough, and it'll give you time to see all you want. I find that to be better than to rush through things and being stressed out about seeing the next place, and just take the other destinations later on

Met online: February 2011
            Met the first time: August 16, 2011

Comment

Working...
            X