What to say at the border security...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LacePeony View Post
    With regards to the letter from my employer, do you have any suggestions as to what I could ask her to write in this letter? Thank you again for the advice!
    Originally posted by Kiyama View Post
    I wrote it myself and had my employer sign it. Just a few lines such as. " To whom it may concern. I hereby confirm that xy works at this company and that she is expected back at work on xy...
    Nothing big. I didn't need it but I'll have another one ready it his time. It just feels safer
    Agree with Kiyama. I'm traveling the England in June to see my SO and its one of the documents you can use to get through Border Security. I went on their website (they have a whole PDF document on what you can bring for documentation) and they said I would need a letter from my employer on company letter head paper. Essentially giving details on my salary and length of my employement, confirming that I've been given time off work and stating whther it's paid or unpaid time off. I'm going to type up a general letter and get the specific information from my boss to put in there and have him sign it.

Along with that I'm going to submit my itinerary for the trip, which is another helpful document. I include all my flights/stops, my hotel address/phone number and time of stay, what I'm going to do in London, when I'm traveling to my SO's house and his address/contact info. I think as long as they can see what exactly you're going to be doing while you're in the country and where you're staying, you should have an easier time with border security. If you just go up to them with no documents, they might get more suspicious since you were there previously. But that's my opinion.

I would really check out the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol website. https://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/ It looks like they have some good information on entering the country. Hope this helps.

Hope everything works out.
    *First visit- 6/15/13-6/29/13*

*Second Visit- 6/21/14-7/5/14*

*My part of the K-1 Visa approved on 10/23/14*

*Fiancé had his Medical Appt. on 2/16/15*

*Fiancé's Visa Interview Appt and approved on 4/13/15*

*Fiancé received his Fiance Visa on 4/20/15*

*Closing the distance on 5/22/15*

Comment

My SO told the truth both times he entered.... sort of.

He told them he was visiting his girlfriend but when asked who paid for the flight he said my parents paid. As i'm on benefits they may have found it hard to believe i was able to pay for them. ( When i went to Canada to meet him for the first time, i was honest-ish and said i was meeting a guy i met on facebook and we were seeing if it was a relationship we wanted to pursue and i had to answer some extra questions. The issue they had was because i wasnt working and i said i paid for my own flights, hence why my SO said my parents paid. They called my SO to confirm the answers i gave and after he promised to look after me and checked my insurance and return flight details, let me through)
      We always had a return flight booked and he had my cell number incase they wanted to talk to me to confirm but they never called. On the plus side we had already met when he came here so that helped.
      As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

I always get so nervous when I go to the UK and immigrations is always the scariest part for me because they have so much power.. I always tell the truth though becasue I don't want to get stuck in a lie. They ask me why I'm visiting and I tell them I'm visiting my boyfriend. It was a bit scarier last time because I was staying for 3 1/2 months but that is well under the 6 months Canadians are allowed to stay there. She asked me what our plans were, if we had plans to marry, etc and told me that I wouldn't be able to apply for a fiance visa with him on benefits.. I just played it cool and said something like "Well it doesn't matter, if we need to, we'll just stay long distance for as long as we need to" And also definitely didn't say we were getting married but more said "we're just getting to know each other and no plans for more yet" And I guess that is a bit of a lie because we do want to get married but we'd NEVER EVER dream of doing anything illegal!! They also ask me what I do, how much money I'm bringing with me, one time they asked if I had a credit card/visa. I remember the first visit, he asked how we met and I said online and he asked why he wasn't picking me up from the airport and I explained they didn't have a car and it was too early for buses to run. The key is to not be planning to stay longer than you are allowed and to be honest, and have enough money and have valid reasons that you will return to your own country, and have a return ticket!! Good luck

Comment

I'm actually nervous about my first trip to the UK. I've stupidly been watching the UK Border Force show and it's not making me feel any better. lol. I don't know if I should say that I'm going there for vacation (which I am technically) and/or should I mention that I'm seeing my boyfriend? Or should I just say friend? Plus will they get suspicious since it's an online relationship and we've never met before. Ahh..

I thought it would be good to mention my worries in this thread. Any advice?

Comment

Originally posted by leah_c View Post
            I'm actually nervous about my first trip to the UK. I've stupidly been watching the UK Border Force show and it's not making me feel any better. lol. I don't know if I should say that I'm going there for vacation (which I am technically) and/or should I mention that I'm seeing my boyfriend? Or should I just say friend? Plus will they get suspicious since it's an online relationship and we've never met before. Ahh..

I thought it would be good to mention my worries in this thread. Any advice?
            If you are staying for less than a month you should be fine. It is totally normal for an American like yourself to take a holiday over in UK. I went to Dublin last October for a week and all I got was "enjoy your vacation". If you are staying for longer then you might wish to get closer to truth.
            "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Hollandia View Post
              If you are staying for less than a month you should be fine. It is totally normal for an American like yourself to take a holiday over in UK. I went to Dublin last October for a week and all I got was "enjoy your vacation". If you are staying for longer then you might wish to get closer to truth.
              Thanks for getting back to me. I'm only going for 2 weeks, so I should be fine. I think I'll just say I'm going on vacation and if they are wondering who I'm staying with, I'm not sure if I'll say my friend or boyfriend. I guess it will depend on who I get at the desk and what happens.

Thanks again!

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm only going for 2 weeks, so I should be fine. I think I'll just say I'm going on vacation and if they are wondering who I'm staying with, I'm not sure if I'll say my friend or boyfriend. I guess it will depend on who I get at the desk and what happens.

Thanks again!
                Sure, no problem. I would be surprised if they ask more than how long your stay is and for business or pleasure. When I go to NL I never have any problems till I them 88 days, then it gets much more serious and the questions start to flow. If you do stay longer in the future I would suggest a few documents. A letter of invitation from your SO stating you are welcome to stay with him during your stay, your return ticket, and a letter from either your school or work showing you have ties to USA. Enjoy your holiday !
                "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thanks again!
                  Just remember to note down your SO's address because you need to put one down on the entry card to give to the customs officer when you go through immigration. 2 weeks should be no biggie indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollandia View Post
                    Sure, no problem. I would be surprised if they ask more than how long your stay is and for business or pleasure. When I go to NL I never have any problems till I them 88 days, then it gets much more serious and the questions start to flow. If you do stay longer in the future I would suggest a few documents. A letter of invitation from your SO stating you are welcome to stay with him during your stay, your return ticket, and a letter from either your school or work showing you have ties to USA. Enjoy your holiday !
                    Whew... I'm hoping for quick and simple, but I'm bringing some of those documents (employer letter, itinerary, etc) just in case.

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
                    Just remember to note down your SO's address because you need to put one down on the entry card to give to the customs officer when you go through immigration. 2 weeks should be no biggie indeed.
                    Thanks. I have it on my itinerary that I've typed up for my trip. I'm hoping an easy time through the border.

**both of you have made me feel a little better. Thanks so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X