Best Money Exchange / Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Money Exchange / Rates

Hey, I was just wondering, with regards to having to exchange currency for trips and visits, where do you guys get your money from?

There are tons of sites but what's the best, looking for one's without hidden fee's, without commission, free delivery on orders over £500 etc.

I've been looking online, I have done it through my bank before but they offer me £1 / 40 THB (Thai Baht), which is very low, I've looked online and found that likes of 42 / 44 THB which when it adds up is significantly more, the money I get goes from around 85000 THB to 90,000 THB.

So, any tips, where do you "shop"?

"Buddha made you for me" - My SO

1st Met/Visit: Nov 2012 - Thailand
    2nd Visit: May 2013 - Thailand
    3rd Visit: Jun 2013 - Thailand
    4th Visit: Sep 2013 - Thailand
    5th Visit: Sep 2013 - Jan 2014 - UK
    6th Visit: Apr 2014 - Thailand - Marry
    7th Visit: Sept 14th 2014 - Thailand - Wedding Ceremony / Party
    Close the distance - Sept 21st 2014 - UK
    UK Wedding Party: November 8th 2014

Honestly, I just use my bank debit card while I'm in the country of choice. They don't even charge me an international fee, just the standard ATM fee (if there is one) and convert at their exchange rate. I've done it in both Luxembourg and Greece and both times the convenience has been wonderful (especially not having to carry hundreds of dollars with me in cash). When I went to Peru, they had all these shops in one part of town where you could exchange USD for Soles, and they all posted their exchange rates outside so you could compare, so we found the one with the best rate and went there. That one I did need cash for, but I didn't need to bring the cash with me during my flight because my SO had just paid me back for his laptop in USD.
    Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
    Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
    Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

I second what kitty said. ATMs are the way to go. Also, you can probably just use your debit or credit card to buy most things anyways. Make sure to notify your bank first or they might shut down your card.

Comment

Agree with the other two fine ladies. I usually get a small amount of the currency at the bank, just so I have some cash on hand when arriving. And then I take directly out of ATMs once in country.

Comment

Ah ye I thought of that but the banks exchange rate is atrocious / borderline daylight robbery lol. I'd rather not, especially having a 1.50 ATM charge each time too, it will mount up, I'm taking it all in cash, I'll be quite safe :P, just looking for the best deal.

Comment

I have used a company called UAE Exchange before. I checked online and they seem to only have branches in England. They don't charge a flat exchange fee and their exchange rates are usually very good.

Comment

I use an online exchange. I don't know if there are any in the UK/Thailand or if it is of any help for you.
              The way it works is I transfer Euros from my German bank account to the exchange account, exchange it to PLN on their website and transfer it to my Polish bank account.
              When I was just visiting, I always took cash and sometimes my debit or credit card (because of ATM fees and rates). Now that I live here and still get most of my money in € into my German account, I'd lose quite a lot of money if I transferred it directly into my Polish account.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Thanks, I'll look these up, it's online I'm thinking of doing it, get more bang per £! Last time I did it through my travel agents, they gave me a cash passport, but then I did run out of money on it and started using my debit card,

Comment

Working...