Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flight tickets for summer are so damn expensive!!! Where did you buy yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flight tickets for summer are so damn expensive!!! Where did you buy yours?

I'd like to ask advice to those who are traveling to see their SO by the end of June/first weeks of July. And couples who are traveling from America to Europe or vice versa. My question is, Where did you buy your tickets??? Cuz I assume by now you all already have tickets! I might be the only one who has got no ticket for summer!
    I've been waiting for deals on flights, been checking airlines websites, but haven't found anything. So far prices are crazy, as they're supposed to be. I understand it's like this because summer is just the most expensive season to travel.

Tickets are 1800 USD. / 1400 EUR. (round flight)

Or I am so poor, or I think that's fecking expensive!!!

Last time, when I traveled in december from Mexico to The Netherlands, round ticket was only 1100 USD/850 EUR.
    I was hoping to find a deal like this, but time is passing so fast, and July is almost here. So what do you think I should do? You think I still can find a deal, like 3 weeks before leaving? should I wait or act?
    My bf and I don't really have 1800 for ticket, we might borrow some money to make it...
    I'm just so stressed, I don't want to lose hope, I really want to see him on Summer vacation.

I came here so you give me advice on where to buy, maybe there's some websites that have better deals.

I'm constantly checking Expedia, and KLM, kayak, momondo, mobissimo. Any other suggestion?
    Thanks in advance

I used to book mine at the beginning of the year for this reason and never later than March. One of my friends has luck waiting until a few weeks before her trip to book but I have never found a better deal than booking at least 4 months in advance. Try fiddling with the days you come and go? Sometimes flying on Tuesdays or Thursdays, for example, is cheaper than Mondays or Fridays.

Comment

Yes, it was my bad, I shoulda booked so in advanced, like you said, at the beginning of this year. Now I'm screw But what you say gives me hope, that your friend found a good deal a few weeks before her trip, so I hope I am that lucky too. I'm already doing what u suggest, fliddling with the days, picking Tuesdays as first option, but I'll keep doing this. Thanks for replying.

Comment

I got hit for the same thing. I did put off buying my tickets till yesterday because I needed to get my dental work done and had to wait. I used USair and paid 1300 for mine. I took a shot in the dark and was able to set it up through Bill Me Later for 6 months interest free financing. My SO is sending me half of it when he gets his holiday pay next month. I search the nearby airports and leave flexible dates to look for cheaper flights when I can. I checked out what the tickets cost when I first got back last time in March and they were already pushing 1200. I had enough British Air miles but there was no seats left when I was ready to book. I might also suggest using the name your own price option at Priceline, you can't get one for half price but you might be able to shave a few hundred off if you make a reasonable offer and they accept it.
        "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Hey! Im not sure if this works... but what if you try with transavia? OR! you could check a flight to germany (because in Germany they pay few taxes than in the NL) and then fly there (or go by train) to the NL! I wish I can help you... Because within europe the flights are not expensive, so I think it could be a great deal if you found flights to Portugal, Uk, Germany, Denmark, Spain, France, or Belgium! from there you can flight to the Nl and maybe it is cheaper.

I hope I could help!

ps: I bought a ticket for 30 euros from Portugal to the NL for June, try to see some deal like this

Comment

Hey! My SO and I had the exact same problem, tickets are usually around 1.160 euros but this time around, we couldn't find anything short of almost 2000 euros! Needless to say, it's because everyone travels during June-July and the prices skyrocket. I realized that Iberia and British Airways are generally cheaper than the other airlines though, so maybe you could have a look at their websites?
            Other than that, what others said, don't choose Fridays, Saturdays or Sundays to travel as prices can be double. We are lucky because of the economical situation in Argentina that makes us able to get the tickets cheaper if we buy them in ARS and then I give him Euros that he can exchange on the black market for a higher rate than the official one, and I don't know how that works in Mexico/Netherlands but maybe that could be worth looking into as well

Good luck!

Met online: February 2011
            Met the first time: August 16, 2011

Comment

I agree with the thing about different days mentioned earlier, and prices are just high right now... Either book early or take the gamble and go last minute I always fly with Icelandair, they are the cheapest carrier from Europe to the US that I know of. But I don't think they fly to Mexico and then you'd have to have 2 layovers which is quite a lot... Good luck!

Comment

First and foremost, I'd look again on a different computer as websites track you and will jack up the price of tickets Then I'd start comparing different websites! You may find a last minute deal... if anything you could play around with your connection city as different cities have higher fee's. For example: if you land in Toronto you'll be paying much more than if you went from Mexico to NYC. But I'd never flown from Mexico to EU so I don't really know...

Comment

Some places are cheaper to fly into as well. Try flying via Paris as I find that a lot of the cheapest flights from Australia-Europe are via Paris.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalfever View Post
                    First and foremost, I'd look again on a different computer as websites track you and will jack up the price of tickets Then I'd start comparing different websites! You may find a last minute deal... if anything you could play around with your connection city as different cities have higher fee's. For example: if you land in Toronto you'll be paying much more than if you went from Mexico to NYC. But I'd never flown from Mexico to EU so I don't really know...
                    You can hide your IP address so they can't do that if you use a blocking program. This is one for free.
                    https://peerblock.com/
                    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Hollandia View Post
                      You can hide your IP address so they can't do that if you use a blocking program. This is one for free.
                      https://peerblock.com/
                      Really?! Booked marked that.

Comment

try cheaptickets.com as well, I got my ticket to go back to Chile for the end of May and I got it on kayak (compared it with other sites and the airlines website) and I actually got it cheaper on american's website through kayak then american had it listed at

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jess! View Post
                          Hey! Im not sure if this works... but what if you try with transavia? OR! you could check a flight to germany (because in Germany they pay few taxes than in the NL) and then fly there (or go by train) to the NL! I wish I can help you... Because within europe the flights are not expensive, so I think it could be a great deal if you found flights to Portugal, Uk, Germany, Denmark, Spain, France, or Belgium! from there you can flight to the Nl and maybe it is cheaper.

I hope I could help!

ps: I bought a ticket for 30 euros from Portugal to the NL for June, try to see some deal like this

Hello Jess, thanks for your tip, I think this is an awesome idea, and this might my last option. I've checked flights to Portugal and they're WAY cheaper than flying to The Netherlands. I told my boyfriend about it, and he agreed we should take this deal, from MEX to Portugal, and then from Portugal to the Netherlands. Anyway, I keep looking for cheap flights and wiating for a miracle, and better deals. Thanks a lot for your advice

Comment

I'm very thankful for all of your replies!!! I've been reading each of your advices and having a look on the websites you mention. Thanks to all of you for your support. Prices are still high, I'll keep waiting for a miracle, maybe one more week, then if prices are the same, I'll just buy an expensive ticket. I might borrow money , but it doesn't matter if I'm in debt, I just want to see my boyfriend for summer!!! it's been 6 months since I last saw him. You guys are really helpful and supportive. Best wishes for you and your partners too.

Comment

Originally posted by jess_mp View Post
                              Hello Jess, thanks for your tip, I think this is an awesome idea, and this might my last option. I've checked flights to Portugal and they're WAY cheaper than flying to The Netherlands. I told my boyfriend about it, and he agreed we should take this deal, from MEX to Portugal, and then from Portugal to the Netherlands. Anyway, I keep looking for cheap flights and wiating for a miracle, and better deals. Thanks a lot for your advice
                              Thats so nice! I hope you can deal with everything. It will be okay you can go with ryanair to the netherlands but the prices are getting high depending on the day you want to go. If you need some help, let me know!

Hugs

Comment

Working...
                              X