Buying presents while traveling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying presents while traveling

Something 23 said made me think of this. When you travel do you feel obligated to buy presents for family or friends back home?

My sister in law just got back from her month long honeymoon in Europe and she brought me and my SO shirts from Paris. When they went to Miami in November they brought us all presents.

Now I almost feel obligated to buy them something when we go on our trip in July! I used to buy little presents for everyone, but I sort of got out of the present phase. I mean, I'd rather send out a postcard or two (which just made me think, I wonder if I can send mail from Cuba to USA....) than buy a whole bunch of worthless knick-knacks. I suppose if I see something and think "man this person would LOVE it" then I'll buy it. But I normally never buy presents.

It depends. If somebody asks me to buy them something small like a fridge magnet or chocolate, I'm happy to get it for them. I also tend to buy a lot of chocolate because it's quite cheaper/tastes better than the chocolate that I can buy here.

I also like to send or bring back a ton of chocolate for my family whenever I go to Europe.

Comment

Like Tooki said, if someone requests something, I'm happy to find it for them. However, I won't go out of my way to buy souvenirs; gift purchases are reserved for things I think people really will use or enjoy. Or scarves and pashminas...my mother trained me from a young age to get scarves for her!
      ~~~

Comment

I know we will be buying gifts for family on our honeymoon... I only really will if I see it and say, "this is totally this person." or something along those lines (like you, LB). Although, I did bring my family gifts last time I saw them, but, we did birthday present exchange and my parents hosted my bridal shower, so they were birthday & thank you gifts.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
        Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
        Progress: Working on it.

Comment

I used to, not so much anymore. I always bring home a certain Finnish candy my daughter loves for her, but unless there's an occasion, or I owe some one a "Thanks!" for something, I mostly skip it.
          Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I never do. Well actually I brought home some small chocolates for my Grandma. Usually thought I just send postcards to the people I care about. I know they enjoy getting them and it shows you think of them without having to carry anything back with you.

Comment

I normally bring home like hats, keychains, etc... Small things that I think they'll like. But I really only do it for my family, rather than for friends, unless they ask.

First met: June 2012
              Became Committed: June 04, 2012
              Entered an LDR: July 01, 2012
              Next Visit: October 2013!

XXX XXX

Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle, rather a beautiful reminder of just how strong true love can be.

Comment

Another thing to add, I find that unless they are parents or grandparents no one really will appreciate that miniature eiffel tower you give them. To you, you were there it had meaning, to them its a tiny piece of metal they have no use for.

LB, Don't feel obligated to buy something just because they got something for you. I'm sure they didn't give with the intent of getting something back. Do it cause you want to, not cause you have to.

Comment

If I go somewhere without my son, then I do bring him home something. Even if it's just a very little thing. When SO and I took our first cruise together, we bought something for his son too and his brother since his brother was watching his son for him while we were gone. Beyond that - I don't do it for anyone else.

And yes to everything snow_girl said.

Comment

Maybe it's a "third-world country" thing, you know. People in my family don't really travel to Europe often, so when one of us goes it's kinda expected that they would bring things back. And usually it's me. I really love giving stuff to the people I love, don't get me wrong. But it's exhausting having to shop for individual presents for each family member. I also bring back lots of chocolates and cheeses that we don't get here, so there's that.
                    I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

I mostly only buy for my mother because she collects magnets from places (because of my travel habits, she has an awesome collection). I'm awful at buying gifts for people. I kinda hate it. I like to make people happy and I don't mind spending money on people. I'm just awful at figuring out what would be a good gift. Then I always worry if it's good enough or if I didn't spend enough.

Comment

If I go somewhere I buy for all the family and any requests, the first time I went to Thailand I did this, the 2nd time I went I had requests for some more bags I bought last time and this 3rd time nothing, no requests or presents, I won't be buying every visit, it would be ridiculous.

"Buddha made you for me" - My SO

1st Met/Visit: Nov 2012 - Thailand
                        2nd Visit: May 2013 - Thailand
                        3rd Visit: Jun 2013 - Thailand
                        4th Visit: Sep 2013 - Thailand
                        5th Visit: Sep 2013 - Jan 2014 - UK
                        6th Visit: Apr 2014 - Thailand - Marry
                        7th Visit: Sept 14th 2014 - Thailand - Wedding Ceremony / Party
                        Close the distance - Sept 21st 2014 - UK
                        UK Wedding Party: November 8th 2014

Comment

Working...
                        X