Carnet for flights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carnet for flights

Many of us here on LFAD use planes to visit their SOs, so i thought it could be useful to share infos about buying a Carnet.
    Any of you has experiences with it?

What's a carnet?

Comment

If I got it right (its the first time i read about it too) it's a group of tickets (like 10 or 20 ways from a city to another) that you have to use within a certain amount of time... and it should make you save up some money on the long term

Comment

I've never heard of anything like that for flights.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

I have never heard about them. Given the nature of my flights, I would not be able to afford to buy a 'carnet' of them, even if they existed.

Comment

To me, that seems more for people who travel frequently to specific cities for business. Like Tooki, there's no way I could afford that, given the prices for flights between the US and Helsinki, not to mention, I could never get enough time off of work to use them in time. Good luck though.
            Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Are you talking about airline credit cards?

Comment

The carnet I'm familiar with, from here:

Carnets, commonly known as “Merchandise Passports”, are international customs documents that simplify customs procedures for the temporary importation of various types of goods. In the U.S., two types are issued: ATA and TECRO/AIT Carnets.
                However, my impression is that they are only really needed for professional or business things.

I did some more searching and I think I found the thing you're talking about (this?) but I've never heard of such a thing in my life.
                Last edited by kittyo9; August 4, 2013, 04:44 PM.
                Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
                Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
                Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

I had to google this: A Carnet or ATA Carnet (pronounced kar-nay) is an international customs and temporary export-import document. It is used to clear customs in 83 countries and territories without paying duties and import taxes on merchandise that will be re-exported within 12 months*. Carnets are also known as Merchandise Passports or Passports for Goods.

Sorry - doesn't seem like it's for tickets at all

Comment

A quick Google found this, so I guess other airlines do similar:

https://www.meridiana.it/WebCarnet/e...px?language=en

Comment

What I meant was what Kittyo9 and kattermole posted about, but I'm pretty new to LDR and i have no experiences at all with it either. it just came to my mind cos my mother asked me if there was anything like this so i tried to google but i didnt really get many infos, so i thought about sharing it with you, just in case

Comment

If you live in the same country, or close countries, it seems like a great idea, especially for weekend trips.
                        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Haha after reading through I know what kind of carnet you are talking about, still have no clue how they work, but I was originally thinking of what they call a carnet in Chile (Which is the ID cards used there) and I was like those aren't for flying haha.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Working...
                          X