Having a career in a LDR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having a career in a LDR

Hi. This my first post on this forum and I need some ideas from people that have found a way to earn an income while being in a relationship like this. Here's the background:
    My girlfriend and I live 1000 miles apart. We met three years ago online while I was working in the town she lives in. We decided to keep our amazing relationship going after I was transferred back to my hometown. I would move to where she lives except I have a son who now is 14 years old. I feel that I cannot just up and move away from him because we not only have an excellent father/son relationship, but it is also against my beliefs to leave a child to move away for your significant other. So, the way our relationship has gone is that I will spend about half the time with her and the other half with my kid. Our pattern of this is usually a few weeks/months with him followed by a long "vacation" with her, usually anywhere from two - six weeks.
    My problem is of course not having a career right now. It is bothering me badly. I'm reluctant to get a "real" job right now because I don't want to not be able to travel to the "other" place. I need ideas here. Where can I find work that would be something very temporary while I'm away? How do you make money temporarily in a city. Or, what types of jobs does one do that gives them the freedom to move back and forth. All I can think of is something online, but I wouldn't know where to look for something like that.
    If anyone has any ideas, I would enjoy hearing what you have to suggest.

Thanks.

This is very hard to answer; what do you do? Do you have a degree, or specialized skills in anything, especially in a field that allows telecommuting? You mention "career" not "job", so I'm assuming you do, but other than to suggest signing up at this site (pay for it, it's worth it) www.flexjobs.com, there isn't enough information here to really give better advice.
    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm not sure if your area has this but in a lot of cities those "ride-share" opportunities are coming up. I always see advertisements for drivers in my city - as long as you have your own vehicle and pass a background inspection they hire you per hour to drive people around. And there is no long term commitment. The one here in my city is called "Lyft."

Comment

Direct sales companies?

When we love, it isn't because the person's perfect, it's because we learn to see an imperfect person perfectly.

True love does not worry about the distance between, for the heart and soul travels through one's words

When two people are meant for each other, no time is too long, no distance is too far, and no one can ever tear them apart.

1 universe, 9 planets, 7 continents, 194 countries, 50 states and 10 provinces...and I had the privilege to meet you.

Comment

Good insight! The couchsurfing idea is pretty cool, it's always nice to meet new people. I mentioned it to my boyfriend and I think we're gonna try it! Hopefully we find someone with cheap taste Also thanks for sharing that story, simple things like that really are the best aren't they? It's great to hear that your ldr worked out and you're now married Gives the rest of us some hope. congrats!

Comment

I work half the time in my country, I bring my studies when I go to see him one week a month and I want to get an extra job I can do online.
            I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
            - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by palwasha View Post
              Good insight! The couchsurfing idea is pretty cool, it's always nice to meet new people. I mentioned it to my boyfriend and I think we're gonna try it! Hopefully we find someone with cheap taste Also thanks for sharing that story, simple things like that really are the best aren't they? It's great to hear that your ldr worked out and you're now married Gives the rest of us some hope. congrats!
              I'm confused - maybe I missed something, but maybe you posted this on the wrong post?

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
              Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
              Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Working...
              X