Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Booked my next trip!! But how is it catching a connecting flight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Booked my next trip!! But how is it catching a connecting flight?

Booked my next trip across the Atlantic to see my favourite person for the last week in October - so excited to spend almost 6 weeks there again We get to be together for Thanksgiving, Halloween and a couple of incredible concerts!

My flight over there is a direct one, but I opted for a non-direct one for my return journey which stops at JFK (from Orlando) and then on to Heathrow, since it saved me quite a bit of money. I took connecting flights as an accompanied minor years ago but don't remember it much, & always had a stewardess to help me. Is it quite straightforward? Just never done it alone before & slightly nervous!

Getting from one gate to another is pretty easy. My kids were doing it on their own as teenagers. I did it the first time on my own at 17. Most airlines will have the airline attendants run down a list of connecting flights prior to landing. When you get off of your flight, there are always a lot of screens that will tell what gate your flight is at. If you still need help, ask any of the staff at the desks and they can help you.
    To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

JFK is, if I recall correctly, a fairly crazy airport. And by "crazy" I mean "busy". But, like R&R said, there are departure signs every where - not all airlines will do the list of connecting flights, at least, they haven't on my flights in a really long time. If you're really concerned, talk to the gate agent when you get off the plane in JFK. The person there should be able to direct you to your next gate. If they're busy and have several people waiting to speak with them, look for a gate agent on your airline that doesn't have people waiting to speak to them.

A tip for you: when you land, go check on your gate first, before you make any kind of stops. You may have a different preference, but this is what I usually end up doing. I'll find a bathroom and snacks (if needed) on my way to my next gate.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
      Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
      Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Thanks, that's really helpful I'm sure it'll be quite straightforward then - just super-excited for my next trip more than anything!

Comment

JFK is pretty straight forward. It has an air train which will shuttle you between terminals and I have never had an issue getting lost at JFK. But I usually get off at JFK and get the greyhound in Manhattan. I've been to the US 5 times prior not though NY and I never had any issues with connections except when I was pregnant and they made me stand in a really long line. I kept asking them if I could get some water, but they made me stand there for 2 hours and I nearly passed out. The med team came and I had to eat, drink and they checked me again and then put me on a later flight. It was the most terrifying experience but it's the only reason I've ever missed a connection.
          Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
          All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

Connections are really no big deal. Just make sure that you have plenty of time and that you stay relaxed! Have you flown before? It's no different than finding your original gate. Just look at the big screen on the wall to make sure you know what gate and head over! Best of luck to you! You'll have a great trip and the connecting flight should be the least of your worries!

Comment

Working...
            X