Road Trip Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road Trip Tips

I'm about to take the longest solo road trip I've ever done to visit my SO up in Canada. I'll be basically driving the length of NY and then a few hours around Lake Ontario.

I'm breaking the drive up into a 3 hour drive to visit a friend who happens to live along the way, followed by a 6h40m drive from her place to my SO's place the following morning. From there, I'm helping my SO move to his summer place in the Ottawa area. Because of the move, the drive back home will only be about 7h15m total (yay!).

Driving makes me kind of anxious, so I've spent the past few weeks psyching myself up for the ride and gathering podcasts to listen to on the way. To date, the longest I've ever driven by myself was about 4 hours each way (also to see my SO), so I'm looking for tips for longer rides from those of you who may have more experience.
    Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
    Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
    Engaged: 09/26/2020

I grew up doing trips on the road with my father so I came to appreciate windshield time. it is a great time to let my mind wander and daydream. I come up with a lot of ideas for work while going down the road. I really lose track of time rocking out with the radio.

Just appreciate the countryside you are driving through, and the local color. Stop along a lake or river and skip rocks. Pack a road picnic basket.

My first overnight stay on the road was a 3 day drive to college when I was 18. Camped in the back of my truck along the way at RV parks and State Campgrounds. 4 years later I was making that drive in a day and a half.

It was so long ago.......I had a CB radio and a Cassette player for entertainment. GASP...No podcasts or Cell Phone. Not even a CD player... Not sure how I survived.

Comment

That was lovely to read, thank you for sharing!
      Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
      Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
      Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

After having this experience what kind of tips do you wanna give as a solo traveler? I am keen to know.

Comment

Working...
        X