Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Girlfriend turned away because of address discrepancy

Hi all!

Been a while since I did a forum post. Starting off, I have to say yesterday wasn't off to a good start. Earlier this year in the summer I bought a ticket for my GF to come to visit me from St. Vincent. It didn't pan out the first time because it conflicted with her exam season (school having an unreliable schedule and changing up weeks before the big date) and at the point she found out I was unable to get a refund. And yesterday something similar happened, this time with her paying for the ticket. I panicked a bit because she was traveling so far and I have little experience with this despite being former military. I ended up contacting some of her friends to find out if something had happened since it seemed calls and messages to her were completely blocked for an entire day, yesterday which was when I was supposed to pick her up (since 4am in the morning). A huge bummer.

To the point, the last message I got from her was when she made it to presumably New York or another major city (one of her stops) and I assumed since she was stranded there for a bit. My heart was in the right place, but still I feel really silly now but I guess I chalk it up to lack of experience booking and hosting international trips.

To the heart of the matter, she told me upon arrival that they ended up sending her home because even though I gave her my updated address for her travel documentation when they pulled my info up "in the system" as she called it for where she'd be staying, it was my old info apparently. Thus they sent her back home.. I have/had no idea what system she's talking about or how to fix it. Is it refering to my government address (like if I did a USPS change of address online)? The address on my Drivers license card, or the DMV if not somewhere else? Is there a website I can head to or a government building I need to visit in order to handle this business? It sucks because had I known this would happen I could have done something much earlier.

She was going on a student/visitors visa for two weeks if that helps. And if it's not airline restricted, is it possible for her to get her money refunded or a credit for a future flight? If anyone has had this sorta crazy ordeal unfold before, can you offer advice and/or point me in the right direction so that I can correct this address issue so that we don't make the same mistake due to lack of knowledge again. Links help too.

You seem to be handling this fairly well, so good job on that.

I've only heard of this "system" she might be referring to once before when a US citizen mentioned that one time when they were in the airport, they had forgotten all their ID and ended up being pulled aside and asked questions based on some mysterious database of information in order to confirm their identity (in lieu of identification). No context as to where the information was from, though, so unfortunately I don't know what to tell you there. I suspect it may be things like your address associated with your driver's license, voting records, and other official government things, but without more insight I really can't say for sure. If anyone has more information on this I'd love to get their input.

Whether she can get a refund or credit is up to airline policy. Realistically, the airline will probably not want to give her any sort of credit since she already took the flight and the airline may face a penalty for her being turned away at the border. She can call them and try to ask, but most likely the answer will be no.

What student/visitor visa are you referring to? As far as I understand, student visas (usually F1) and visitor/tourism visas (B2) are separate categories.

Lastly, just doing due diligence... Have you guys met in person before? If so, was it in the US or elsewhere?
    Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
    Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
    Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Working...
    X