When to buy flights for Christmas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to buy flights for Christmas?

Just wanted to ask when does everyone else get their flights for Christmas booked? I'd read that the best time to get them is in October, but the flights I'm looking at have already dropped by 100 euro. I'm worried if I leave it too long, they won't get this cheap again. Any advice on whether to get them now or not?

I get them as early as I can. I find the longer you wait the higher the prices.

Comment

Kind of what Redheart said, usually the earlier the better. Prices will fluctuate a bit but won't start to rise substantially until about 2 months before Christmas (so October). I usually try to get mine booked by then, sometime between 2-4 months out.

That said, there's so much time until Christmas, I suggest you set up a tracker (I like to use Kayak, but there are other sites) to monitor flight prices between your desired airports. You can set restrictions on the kind of flights you want, duration, layovers, etc. and have it email you when it sees a price under the threshold you set (or a price drop in some cases). I usually watch prices for a month or so to get a feel for what to expect, then set a price point and wait.

If you like the price now and can commit to the trip this far out, buy it! If not, watch and wait.
      Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
      Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
      Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

I booked them on 18th April in the end. 466 euro.
        Now I know that I will still be in Ireland for the next 15 months doing DBT, that helped me make the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantic Crossroads View Post
          I booked them on 18th April in the end. 466 euro.
          Now I know that I will still be in Ireland for the next 15 months doing DBT, that helped me make the decision.
          Under 500 euro for Ireland-USA? in Arizona even? That's a very good deal! :O

I've got a few trackers on 3 different websites myself + got a loyalty card from an airline. That helps knowing where/when to book

Comment

Originally posted by Ranidae View Post
            Under 500 euro for Ireland-USA? in Arizona even? That's a very good deal! :O

I've got a few trackers on 3 different websites myself + got a loyalty card from an airline. That helps knowing where/when to book
            Considering my previous flight was 383 euro, back in february, which I bought only 7 weeks in advance, I reckon I've done well.
            I have to fly from Ireland to the UK, then from the UK to AZ, cos they don't go directly from Dublin. It is a bit mad when both our countries border the same ocean.

I use Skyscanner to find me the best deals. I have looked at other sites, but Skyscanner does always seem to have the cheapest fares for me. Though I imagine booking 8 months ahead does make things a lot cheaper, too.
            Last edited by Atlantic Crossroads; May 8, 2019, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X