Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things I wish I thought about beforehand...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things I wish I thought about beforehand...

So I've traveled, via flying, to visit my boyfriend three times now. Each time I've learned something new about traveling/visiting - and they're things that some of you might find helpful.

1. As some of you might know, they're charging for luggage in the USA. You can avoid paying that extra money by packing light and fitting it all into a small suitecase and a purse/briefcase/backpack.

Unfortunately, all the liquids (toothpaste, shampoo, contact solution, etc.) have to be in bottles of 3oz or less and fit into a quart-size Ziploc bag.

If you're staying somewhere for more than a week, you might need to bring more stuff - especially clothes and liquids. Instead of buying more stuff when you get halfway through your trip, I found it helpful to send a package full of full-sized shampoo, conditioner, shaving cream, and even lube. Who wants security people examining that anyway, right? Anyways, I was so glad I did this!

2. If you're not staying in a hotel, but are instead staying with someone (it may not even be your boyfriend or girlfriend), give some thought to how they live. (This seems to be more of a problem with college-age folks, by the way.) Do they have tissues in their home? How clean is it? Do they have any unspoken "house rules?"

I know this seems a little odd to think about, but trust me, it can be an unpleasant surprise if you have to stay somwhere you aren't comfortable.

For example, when I went to stay with my boyfriend and his roommates, they had two trash cans in the whole place, no tissues or papertowels or napkins, and they each used their own roll of toilet paper. Also, I'm not sure when the bathroom was last cleaned. And I had no idea just how loud his roommates were until I stayed with them.

Some of these things can't be helped, or necessarily changed - his roommates have every right to be loud in their own place, and I didn't need my boyfriend to buy another trash can just because I wanted one. Knowing before I got there would have been less stressful, though. At any rate, if I had asked my boyfriend ahead of time about some basics (paper products, cleanliness), and nicely expressed how a few adjustments would make me feel more comfortable, I know he would have accomodated me.

Some people simply haven't had much experience with house guests, so make this a learning experience for both of you! Learning how to keep your stuff neat and how to be a gracious guest is important as well.

3. Food. Most people don't have nearly as many dietary restrictions as I do - I'm a Type 1 diabetic and have an allergy to wheat. But nonetheless, putting some thought into what you'll be eating (especially for an extended stay) is important.

Will you be eating out a lot? Will you be cooking? Are there meals you won't be eating together for some reason? Is there a microwave, stove, dishwasher, etc?

Some people have an abundance of extra food, but others, like my boyfriend, live on the bare minimum. I had put some thought into this beforehand, so I asked him to pick up a few items for me, but I had no idea that he had zero snack food - no chips, no fruits or veggies, no nuts, nothing.

So make sure you know you'll have enough to eat! Nothing ruins a great trip like having a lack of food take your attention away from your lover.

I agree! The first time I visited with Kevin he stayed with in in a hotel room. We bought food and things we would need together and he was very clean! The second time I came to visit I stayed at his house with his roommates (Husband, Wife, and two children, The husband is my SO's best friend.) OMG. Thats all I have to say about that. I walked into the most disgusting home I've ever stepped into. There was trash and food everywhere. You needed to watch where you walked because there were dirty diapers and EW. The toilets were stained BROWN and the shower Curtain had mold all over it. MY ocd about made me cry on the spot. Kevin broght me to his room, which was CLEAN and I calmed down some. He did warn me the house was gross and thats why he spends all his time in his room but I would have NEVER guessed a home could be THAT dirty. Before I moved I made him clean the bathrooms at least before I would visit. But yes I do agree its nice to know what you're walking into.

Comment

Good thread.

Since my SO owns his apartment, I've found that buying full size shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc, and leaving them there works great for me. I only have to pack them once. I also have a brush, toothbrush, and other little things stowed away on my shelf in his bathroom, all those things I usually forget, but now don't have to think about.
      Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
        Good thread.

Since my SO owns his apartment, I've found that buying full size shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc, and leaving them there works great for me. I only have to pack them once. I also have a brush, toothbrush, and other little things stowed away on my shelf in his bathroom, all those things I usually forget, but now don't have to think about.
        Yes, for some reason I didn't think to mention this but I did the same thing and it is quite helpful especially when packing things as a carry on only!

Comment

I also have a brush, toothbrush, and other little things stowed away on my shelf in his bathroom, all those things I usually forget, but now don't have to think about.
          A great tip in itself! When/if my boyfriend gets his own place, I'm planning to do that.

Comment

Great advice!

Comment

Also, for international travelers, power voltage and the power outlets themselves can differ. Make sure you have an adapter and that your appliances will work at that country's voltage. Also be aware that voltage converters are expensive and impractical, and not always easy to find. Don't pack something you're not certain you'll be able to use.

This is common sense, but some people (*cough* Obi) don't realise, that your mobile phone wont necessarily work overseas unless you get international roaming.

This is a great thread idea
              Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
                Also, for international travelers, power voltage and the power outlets themselves can differ. Make sure you have an adapter and that your appliances will work at that country's voltage. Also be aware that voltage converters are expensive and impractical, and not always easy to find. Don't pack something you're not certain you'll be able to use.

This is common sense, but some people (*cough* Obi) don't realise, that your mobile phone wont necessarily work overseas unless you get international roaming.

This is a great thread idea
                Slightly off topic, but to add to what Zephii said about voltage and adapters, keep that in mind if you buy anything electronic for your international SO as a gift, or whatever. I buy some of my guy's electronics for him, because the US has a much bigger, much cheaper selection than Finland. I ship them, along with an adapter, which I find very inexpensively. Most electronic equipment in the US is dual voltage these days, but you have to check, so converters aren't always needed anymore, they're more expensive than the plain adapter.
                Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I liked your idea about sending a package of shampoo, conditioner and everything ahead of time! Will do that in the future. Also don't forget your home products because it might not be readily available in that country!

Comment

To add to this for international travelers: Don't be afraid to pack some supplementary nutritional food items, and don't be afraid to pack a mini-pharmacy as these things may not be available in the country you're visiting. Here's my recommendations:

1) A box of nutrition food bars like Luna (as you never know if the country you're in will meet your nutritional needs)
                    2) A bottle of OTC painkillers, peptobismol peppermint chewables, and some gas/irritated bowel pills.
                    3) one set of clothes in your carry-on.

Good thread!

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

The living situation is definitely a big one.

My SO was living with his cousin and his wife (cousins wife...not my SO's wife! ) I'd met them before on my last visit and we'd had an amazing time. But that does not make for a comfortable living situation.

It was a bliming nightmare. My SO wasnt even aware of 1/2 the problems because he was hardly ever there between working and stuff. But anyway - definitly talk to your SO and find out as much as possible before you get there, find out ground rules and come to agreements beforehand.

Also depending on where your visiting donot be afraid to buy stuff there. In the UK for instance stores such as Primark are great for budget stuff (tshirts etc) not amazing quality but better than paying over the odds luggage fees.

Also a lot of airlines - especially international - will charge less if you book an extra suitcase in advance online. This is what I'm doing this time when I'm going to be taking winter clothes and Christmas presents.
                      Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

Great thread. Thank you all for the advice.
                        Love is patient and kind. It does not envy or boast; is not proud, rude or self-seeking. Love is not easily angered and keeps no record of wrongs. It does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

~*~Love never fails~*~ 1 Corinthians 13

Comment

Working...
                        X