UK customs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK customs

Now i heard i need to bring alot of things before they will let me through customs into the country, but Denise told me all i had to do was bring my passport and show my itinerary that i was gonna go back after my trip. but other people told me i have to bring bank statemnts, a note from my boss, ect. so do i have to bring any of that?

I doubt it's that difficult.

How long are you coming over for, is it just a holiday?

and because both my memory and geography are crap...what country are you coming in from?

Comment

You're going for just a few weeks, if I recall correctly. When I went to the UK in July 2005 (and this was right after the Tube and a few London city buses were blown up), they just checked my passport and my travel itinerary. They gave me a card to fill out with my itinerary and contact information about an hour before I landed in London, and I had to hand it in at customs.

I would say make a color photocopy of your birth certificate and keep that with your passport, as well as keeping copies of both in your luggage just in case. And then leave your actual birth certificate and another photocopy of your passport with your mom or another relative while you're in the UK.

One thing you should do, since you'll be abroad for a while, is register with the US state department, in case of emergencies. You can do it online.

If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion...love actually is all around

Comment

Originally posted by vixx360 View Post
        I doubt it's that difficult.

How long are you coming over for, is it just a holiday?

and because both my memory and geography are crap...what country are you coming in from?
        well im coming on December 20th and leaving on January 12th. so 3 and half weeks, and im coming from Connecticut which is in the US

Comment

I've been there and back to US several times, last time being Christmas 2009. Unless they have made changes I just had my passport, flight itinerary, boarding passes and receipts, MI drivers license and a notarized letter signed by my ex because I had my 17yr old with me... just as a precaution. No one ever needed to look at the letter. I'm curious to see what is discovered... that is a ridiculous amount of information that you were told to bring. I don't tell my boss where I'm going on vacation.. it's none of his business! Good luck, I'll be following this one as I'm also planning a trip in 2011. It feels as if governments are leaning toward tattooing barcodes on our foreheads! UGH!
          Kimberly J
          https://kimberlyandvernon.blogspot.com/

Comment

Oh well in that case Denise is absolutly right, you don't need a Visa or any supporting documents.

All you need is your passport and a booked return ticket.

If you were staying longer or for a different purpose then you would need visa's and then other supporting documentation to ensure that your intentions were as stated on the visa and that you could support yourself for that length of time but for a three week holiday none of that applies.

The only other reason that you might need bank statements etc is if they were to question your reasons for being here and suspect that you were planning on settling or working and outstaying your holiday. It's highly unlikely that that will happen unless you look dodgy and are carrying loads of work related documention and are not packed as a tourist.

So I reckon you can relax and come on over :o)

Comment

thanks everybody! *huggles*

Comment

I've made 8 trips to the UK since 2005, and I have only ever had my passport and a printout of my return flight itinerary. My trips were short though- usually for 2 weeks or so at a time. Each time the customs/immigration officer has asked me:
                1) what my trip details are & how long I'm staying
                2) what is the purpose of my visit
                3) where do I intend to go while I'm there and where will I be staying
                4) am I able to support myself while I'm there and do I understand that I have no access to public funds

I've done immigration at Glasgow and at Heathrow a few times each (depends on where your first port of entry is into the UK) , and in my experience the officers at Glagow will ask more questions and look at you more closely than the ones at Heathrow- I've heard a few others on some of the Visa forums say the same. But even so, it's no big deal- at Glasgow, they also quizzed me a bit on how I knew my boyfriend, for how long, what my job was in the States... but my answers satisfied them, and they've never asked for any documentation.

If you're worried about it though, you could always bring along something which shows you have ties to the States and will be returning- maybe a recent pay stub showing you are employed, or if you rent then a copy of your lease, etc. Sometimes these things are better to bring than to leave behind, just on the (small!!) chance that someone may want to see them.
                We collided and fell out of nothingness... scattering stars like dust

Comment

When I went earlier this year, all I need was my passport, I don't think he even checked my return ticket, although I had it with me.. he asked me how much money I had and where I was staying etc, that was it...he was mostly concerned about the money cuz my family was meant to put money in my bank while I was in England(for 3 months) and I didn't take much with me.

Comment

Wow! That's a lot of stuff they told you to bring..

I agree with michy's advice, also having experience having flown to Scotland three times, with my longest stay being four weeks. I was also asked the same questions as michy.

I also make it a point to bring a letter of invitation from my SO or my SO's family, just in case. Stating things like my SO has invited me to Scotland, our relationship, how he will provide for me financially and pay for travel, food, etc. You're not likely to need it, but it's always helpful to have (like when I forgot the address of where I was staying to write on the landing card when you arrive in the UK, and used the letter as a reference to write down that info)

Our survivor stories through British customs should be reassuring, I hope. Good luck and I hope you have a great time in Scotland!

Comment

oh yeah there defiantly reasurring thank you

Comment

Hmmm these is all really weird - I had no idea my country was such a pain in the butt!

It seems like almost exactly the same stuff I was asked when I went into the states for 3 months. But I didnt bring proof of job etc (mainly because I didnt have one...I quit to go to the states for 3 months!)

Definitly agree that photocopies of your passport are very important.

I think they're main worry (in any country) as that your not going to want to leave again and will stay illegally. So if your worried anything that proves you are returning to the US will be helpful.

Best of luck! xx
                        Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

Just don't say anything to raise a red flag, and you'll be fine. You're not visiting your girlfriend, you're visiting your friend and there on vacation. Catch my drift? That works wonderfully.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Originally posted by London-FortCollins View Post
                            Hmmm these is all really weird - I had no idea my country was such a pain in the butt!

It seems like almost exactly the same stuff I was asked when I went into the states for 3 months. But I didnt bring proof of job etc (mainly because I didnt have one...I quit to go to the states for 3 months!)

Definitly agree that photocopies of your passport are very important.

I think they're main worry (in any country) as that your not going to want to leave again and will stay illegally. So if your worried anything that proves you are returning to the US will be helpful.

Best of luck! xx
                            Haha, I think all countries are a bit of a pain when it comes to customs. Undocumented immigration is a problem everywhere, and a significant legal hassle once it's been discovered, for all parties involved.

If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion...love actually is all around

Comment

Originally posted by Silviar View Post
                              Just don't say anything to raise a red flag, and you'll be fine. You're not visiting your girlfriend, you're visiting your friend and there on vacation. Catch my drift? That works wonderfully.
                              im not gonna lie! they tell you not to do that because apparently they can detect liars, Denise didnt have to lie when she visited me for a few weeks she just said she was visiting her girlfriend and staying with me and they let her go through.

well as much as i dont want to leave her i dont want to get into trouble either so i'll go when my few weeks are up, i printed out my itinerary so if they ask i'll just show them that!

Comment

Working...
                              X