Travelling to Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travelling to Canada?

Thought I'd start up a discussion for anyone with questions or information about travelling to Canada. I'm from here.. and only Travel WITHIN canada. But- If anyone has any questions about what our airports are like and travelling info..feel free to ask!

*looks around* This is a nice little thread. *Sleeps in the corner*
    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

hahahaha oh its ON. i just started it today- offer some friendly tips to people.....i said FRIENDLY

Comment

You implying I'm ever not friendly?

Wait.. don't answer that!
        Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

hahaha! That could actually be really useful!

I'm from the UK and my SO is from Ottawa but studies in Halifax... I'm going over to see her at Christmas in Ottawa, then we're flying to Halifax together then I'm flying back to the UK from there a 1 1/2 weeks after that. 3 week visit in total... Actually cant wait!
          Anyway...question time!

1) I'm flying into Montreal then getting somehow from Montreal to Ottawa (yet to decide!) Last time I took the ViaRail train but that was bloody expensive and a serious pain in the arse, so this time I'm thinking of getting the greyhound. Anyone ever got the Greyhound from Montreal airport (Trudeau) to Ottawa before, how long does it take and where does it pickup?

2) Is there anything different I (as a British Citizen) would have to do when flying internally? Never done that before! Any idea if I still have to fiddle around with passport control and explaining why I'm flying across Canada in the new year for just a week?

Comment

Originally posted by mattheww65 View Post
            2) Is there anything different I (as a British Citizen) would have to do when flying internally? Never done that before! Any idea if I still have to fiddle around with passport control and explaining why I'm flying across Canada in the new year for just a week?
            On international flights, they give you a card about an hour before landing asking you to fill out details of your stay in your destination. It'll ask where you're mainly staying (so, your SO's address in Ottowa), a contact number in case of emergencies (her cell phone, or a land line), how long you plan to stay, as well as your basic info (name, DOB, passport #, etc). If they ask at passport control, just tell them plain and simple that you're visiting your girlfriend. Though honestly, the only place I was asked at passport control was when I flew to the UK! Driving into Canada, they've asked me questions, but a short simple answer is usually enough for them to stamp your passport and say "Welcome to Canada."

If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion...love actually is all around

Comment

Ottawa is beautiful! enjoy your stay

Comment

Originally posted by RyanJr View Post
                Ottawa is beautiful! enjoy your stay
                Thanks alot Ryan! I've been once before but never in the snow! Cant wait! We're going skiing in Tremblant, Montreal for a week too which should be legendary! Although my SO is a ski instructor, and I've only been twice, but we shall see lol!

Do you live in Ottawa? I just spotted Ontario :P

Comment

When you fly into Canada (I do it all the time from the states) they ask you not necessarily in this order but they ask them.

1. What's your reason for coming to Canada?
                  2. Do you have a return ticket?
                  3. Where will you be staying?
                  4. The address of the person you will be staying with (it's best to write it down on a piece of paper)
                  if you tell them you're staying with your girlfriend and/or visiting your girlfriend they will then ask
                  1. Is she Canadian?
                  2. if not does she have proper documentation to be in country legally?

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Thanks alot Ryan! I've been once before but never in the snow! Cant wait! We're going skiing in Tremblant, Montreal for a week too which should be legendary! Although my SO is a ski instructor, and I've only been twice, but we shall see lol!

Do you live in Ottawa? I just spotted Ontario :P
                    Nope... don't live in Ottawa, i live in Niagara falls. But been to Ottawa a few times for different reasons. with the snow it will be even better, make sure you go skating on the canal!! i'm not a skier lol but have fun man

Comment

I just wanted to say that Canada is epic x)
                      I've traveled a lot, to a bunch of different countries, but I've never felt home besides of when I was in Canada
                      I fell in love with Ontario Toronto, Mississauga, Niagara, Oshawa were the places I've been to *_*
                      Thats all haha

Comment

I dont really want to mention i'm staying with my Girlfriend... because on the BUNAC 'work Canada' student visa I'm applying for next year, it says you can't have one if your coming to Canada to visit a Girlfriend/fiancée etc.
                        I know they probably wont record what I say, but I'd rather not risk it!

So we'll just keep that bit quiet.... :P

And i so want to go skating on the canal! The whole fact my girlfriend lives pretty much on the canal, and she can skate into town or to work! MAKES ME SOOO HAPPY!
                        x

Comment

Originally posted by noodle View Post
                          I just wanted to say that Canada is epic x)
                          I've traveled a lot, to a bunch of different countries, but I've never felt home besides of when I was in Canada
                          I fell in love with Ontario Toronto, Mississauga, Niagara, Oshawa were the places I've been to *_*
                          Thats all haha
                          Your right, canada..specifically Ontario IS awesome! i'm from Niagara glad you liked it

Comment

I dont really want to mention i'm staying with my Girlfriend... because on the BUNAC 'work Canada' student visa I'm applying for next year, it says you can't have one if your coming to Canada to visit a Girlfriend/fiancée etc.
                            I know they probably wont record what I say, but I'd rather not risk it!

So we'll just keep that bit quiet.... :P

And i so want to go skating on the canal! The whole fact my girlfriend lives pretty much on the canal, and she can skate into town or to work! MAKES ME SOOO HAPPY!
                            x
                            lol quiet it is, but that sounds awesome bro, hope it all works out for u. u will have to let me know how you like Ottawa this winter!And take some pics on the canal, i'd love to see it!

Comment

Originally posted by RyanJr View Post
                              lol quiet it is, but that sounds awesome bro, hope it all works out for u. u will have to let me know how you like Ottawa this winter!And take some pics on the canal, i'd love to see it!
                              Cheers dude! I will do! Actually cant wait!

In terms of how cold it is... my girlfriends being really vague with me lol! When I think of Canada I think of minus 30, snow storms etc. Is it really like that or is it just like here.... 0-5 most of the time unless its a cold day when its like -7?

:P

Comment

Working...
                              X